It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
(female)

firelvr HB User
Butalbital/aspirin/caffeine (Fiorinal) withdrawals

I was wondering if anyone has gone through withdrawals from taking this stuff? Now this stuff does not have codeine in it. I've been taking it for alittle over a month now. 2 to 3 pills a day for headaches. It makes me feel kinda out of it so I want to get off it now. I KNOW what Hydrocodone withdrawals are and they are hell! So I hope withdrawals from Fiorinal isn't as bad....Thanks again!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Butalbital/aspirin/caffeine (Fiorinal) withdrawals

The dose you have been taking shouldnt cause any major withdrawl symptoms, but just to be safe, cut the dose back over a few days, from 3 pills per day to two pills per day, and then to half a pill twice a day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
(male)

JayDay HB User

Hey Fire, I can only tell you that I didnt have any problems when I stopped taking it. They had me taking it when I was having migraine type headaches, and nothing other then pain meds seemed to actually work for me (It ends up I had a bulging disk in my neck w/3 bone spurs in the same area to boot). The difference between us though is this. I had was taking the medication for several years (2+ If I'm remembering right) but not on any sort of regular basis, only a couple times a week when I needed it. You on the other hand seem to have taken it much more regularly for a far less amount of time.

Now I cant tell you one way or another how long you'd have to take barbiturates (which is what Butalbital is) to have any sort of addiction set in I can only tell you these three things. The first is that the amount of butalbital in that medication is actually on the low side (It was meant to be just enough to relax you so the analgesic could work.) The second is, that I didnt have any problems (withdrawal) at all stopping and starting the medication, sometimes for weeks at a time. The thrid is (and this is the down-side), that I can tell you that barbiturates can be a pretty nasty class of drugs to become addicted to in themselves. Your best bet would be, as jonnstar said, to try to taper off what you're taking over some period of time. If however you find, for whatever reason, that this just isnt possible, or you're still having some annxiety, or for that matter feelings like you are going through withdrawal, I'd go to see a Dr. right away. Any sort of medication that causes physical dependence (which barbiturates can) is just nothing to fool around with, especially considering the number of medical issues attached to withdrawal from them.

Plus contrary to popular paranoia, Dr's who prescribe meds, and then have patients who later approach them and tell them they are either uncomfortable with, think they might be developing a problem with, or are having a problem with a medication and want to stop taking it, wont throw your *** right in rehab. That's just not what rehab is there for (Trust me on this, I've known more then a couple people who've gone through it). They will do their best to get you off that medication as safely and with as little discomfort as possible.

Last edited by JayDay; 05-28-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mom2010 HB User

I was taking both the Fiorinal w Codeine WITH Lortab. The only side effect you are likely to have are rebound headaches. You will get bad headaches that will make you want to take more..... you have to get thru them. They can be worse than your migraines. Mine were HORRIBLE!!

Closed Thread