It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

ramalade HB User
Help w/ Norco withdrawal

Sorry new to this board. I'm not sure if I need to start a new thread or not. I have been taking norco's for the past 2 years. Just recently, the ante has gone up. For the past two weeks I've been taking about 10-12 a day. I'm out. No chance of getting more for a long time. I also am concerned about my liver and will be going to the doctor soon.

I am not tapering. I only have five left and don't think it will matter anyway. If I have them, I will eat them. I am not going to a doctor. I didn't get them from a doctor. Plus no one knows I am taking them. No one in my family and not my husband. (thank you in advance for telling me to tell someone and/or go to a doctor but it's not an option.) I'm taking the last of them tonight and then no more. The problem is I'm really scared. The anxiety of withdrawals and not having anymore to take is already setting in. I've read somewhere that seizures are possible when you quit. Is this true? I have tears in my eyes as I write this because I'm so damn scared. I remember when I used to take 2 once a week. What happened?

Any words of wisdom? It's much appreciated.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
(male)

musicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB User
Re: Help w/ Norco withdrawal

Seizures are a possibility from benzo withdrawal ( Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, etc..) I have never heard that seizures being a risk in opiate withdrawal, and I am pretty well versed on that topic! so do not dwell on that. However, I will not sugarcoat it. Withdrawals from opiates are very unpleasant but they are manageable. If you go to the sticky topics, there is a thread with very good advice. The physical symptoms with subside in about 4 days, but you really must tend to the psychological symptoms or you will be right back to where you are. You need a plan to stay sober and heal your soul in addition to your body. I do understand the anxiety of this and it does seem daunting, but you can get through it and it will subside.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
(female)

ramalade HB User

Thank you for the response. I'm planning on loosely following the Thomas Recipe. Is the L-tysorine a really important step? I was thinking about skipping that part. I'm going to get a mulit-vitamin and I only have Xanax. Also, would it be ok to take Milk Thistle as well? I started taking that about a month ago for fear of my liver. Or is there something better? There were a couple of days in the past two weeks that I was taking up to 16 a day.

I know tomorrow probably won't be the biggest problem day. I'm sure it will be the day after or the third day. I'm a nervous wreck. I know most of this is in my head and if I could just tackle this with some calm, it might not be as bad.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
(female)

MvingForwrd HB User

I can confirm that seizures are NOT a risk with opiate withdrawal. I asked my neurologist about it, and he told me that there is definitely risk of seizure with benzos or barbiturates, but not opiates.

You seem to feel strongly that you can't tell your husband, so I won't push it, but do be aware that a cold turkey withdrawal is not something you can fake your way through. He's more than likely going to know that you aren't well. I recently tried to go cold turkey from an opiate (vicodin), and it was horrific. I was so fatigued that I couldn't get up off the bed. It's going to be rough. You CAN get through it, but it's a lot easier if you have some support at home.

If you can't get any support at home, keep coming to this board. There is help here. Hang in there. It WILL start to get better after a few days. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by MvingForwrd; 06-23-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

It's good you have Xanax, be careful with them over the next few days. Hydrocodone WD's can make you want to take an extra one or two. The withdrawal won't kill you, it just makes you feel like you,re gonna croak if you haven't prepared a little. The part about the Husband could play into this because he is going to know you are not well. It will be better (at this point) to tell him you got the flu from someone at work who had it, just so you can have as much peace of mind as possible for just a few days in order to get over the worst without having to deal with any other issues, if at all possible. You will need solitude, peaceful and secure surroundings, and that will help you to obtain these things if hubby is satisfied with the present status quo. You will do much better if you have a loved one nearby to help "take care" of you, and who will make sure you have the comforts you need. Get through the first few days, as though you have the flu, it will be similar, then you will feel much better in a short time. After that initial couple of days, then you and hubby can talk or whatever, after "your fever has broken". Please understand that this is only something you can consider doing in order to ease things for you over the next few days. I think you'll be OK. Jackbeanstalk

Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Ramalade

Welcome to the board. Many of us have been where you are. The story is old, perhaps, but for each of us begins with an intense fear of withdrawal.

Ramalade, Movingforward is so correct in writing that withdrawal, especially a cold turkey withdrawal, from an opiate is something that simply can not in any way be hidden from those close to us. Perhaps the physical aspects of diarehha, cold sweats and such can be attributed to a flu, but the anxiety and depression that will come as the brain and body works to restore itself are simply too much to hide. I am not trying to scare you, simply explaining the truth of what happens in the process of withdrawal.

The brain must relearn to produce the chemicals that keep us happy and normal on its own again. It is in no way a short term task. it takes time and during that time we are unbalanced emotionally. We need to learn techiques like breathing slowly and getting in as much physical activity as possible to help the anxiety and depression abate and help the brain to restore. While Xanax can help us through this, it is an extremely addictive drug and the withdrawals from a benzo like that are horrendous.

Withdrawal from the opiate is only part of the process. Part two involves tremendous work in learning why we abused the drugs and how to cope with life without them. Drug abuse is just a crummy way of coping. It takes much aftercare via therapy, groups like NA, etc to help us learn and implement better, healthier ways to cope. If we do not follow through with aftercare, we fall again and again.

I want you to succeed. I want you to be able to enjoy your family and life to its fullest again. I have come off of oxycodone and then Xanax through long, slow tapers and lots of live 3-D help in the form of family, friends and doctors. There was no way I would have succeeded alone in this. I have been on this board a few years now and, in all honesty, those who succeed are those who are wise enough to seek all the help possible. I would gently suggest that you rethink your 'don't tell anyone' stance and try to understand that the battle is huge and we need as many warriors as possible to fight alongside of us.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well. Living in a drug haze sucks the life and spirit out of us. It is a big step to say, "Enough of this. I want my life back."

WIth hope always
reach

Old 06-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
(female)

ramalade HB User

Thank you all for your kind supporting words. I took my last one Tuesday night. It is now Thursday. Yesterday wasn't that bad but sleeping last night was not so good. I woke up sweating one minute and freezing the next. My head feels foggy and I have a headache. I have no desire to do anything. What else besides xanax will help me sleep? I took two last night to sleep and think that may be a part of my headache. I'm ok right now. But fear that the worst is still to come?

I have already planted the seed that I don't feel well to my husband. Luckily we don't see each other that much throughout the day b/c of his work schedule. I just want this to be over with. The funny thing is if I had a way to get more, I would....sad.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
(female)

meshel90 HB User

Not sad at all...I know exactly how you feel!! Those cravings get so strong. I get hydro's to help my Fibro along with ultram. But, as you would suspect, I did not take them as directed and went thru it all with 2 weeks before my next refill. I did a quick taper and the past few days haven't been too bad. I would recommend maybe trying melatonin which is OTC or maybe even benedryl to help you sleep. GOOD LUCK TO YOU....Please know you are not alone!!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

Well worded, Reachout. You hit it on the head. It is all but impossible to hide the symptoms. You're right about the Xanax, it can become a crutch, in Opiate WD's, benzos help with the jittery feelings and anxiety, but if not careful, taking too many is possible. All the more reason to have a "caretaker" if possible. The Wd's from Opiates usually don't kill anyone, but WD's from benzo cessation could. Maybe the Dr. could Rx some Wellbutrin or another SSRI for depression, I'm sure the Melatonin would be worth trying, Benadryl works for most, some can get hyper from it, but the main thing is dry mouth. Eating fruits and vegetables helps as well. Jackbeanstalk

Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
(female)

ramalade HB User

Does drinking wine help? Don't worry I don't like alcohol that much to become a drunk. But I would rather drink than take Xanax. Thoughts?

Old 06-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #11
(female)

MvingForwrd HB User

Mmmmmm . . . I don't know. Wine IS safer than Xanax, but not sure if could effectively ease withdrawal symptoms.

I stopped drinking years ago after being diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, the main reason being that alcohol does NOT mix with benzos, but in addition, my doctor told me that it can also increase anxiety. Alcohol can also cause dehydration, which can be bad if you're experiencing diarrhea from the opiate withdrawal. It's also not an effective sleep aid. While alcohol may help you get to sleep initially, it can lead to a disruptive sleep. I would think that Benadryl or Unisom would be a more effective sleep aid, but I'm no doctor, so that's just a guess.

Whatever you do, never drink wine while you have Xanax in your system. I have been sternly warned by every doctor I've ever seen about the dangers of mixing benzos and alcohol, so do be careful with that.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #12
(male)

wrencher99 HB User

I went and got some melatonin 5 which is a extended release form and they did have melatonin 3 but the 5 will keep you sleeping longer,it is the best thing i have gotten to finally get sleep.I would say the l tyrosine works also to make you feel better.Its hard to quit but will be so much worth it,especially the cost and always wanting or thinking about running out and that makes for depressing thoughts too.This message board is very helpful too,some good helpful people on here.Hoping you feel better and get thru it safely and quick as possible.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
(female)

meshel90 HB User
Smile Re: Help w/ Norco withdrawal

I had no idea there was a melatonin 5. I appreicate you sharing that!! I always take 3 and it doesn't always do the trick!!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
(female)

ramalade HB User

Thanks for the responses again. I was thinking more of sipping the wine in the to ease anxiety not to necessarily sleep. I'll try the Benadryl. Just bought some.

Closed Thread