It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
(female)

makenna8 HB User
Does taking hydrocodone cause severe leg cramps

I had dental surgery and was taking this medicine every 4 hours for pain for 6 days, on the 6th day my legs had severe leg cramps and I could hardly walk without terrible pain. I stop taking the medicine 48 hours ago and still am having these leg cramps, is this normal? How long will they last?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Does taking hydrocodone cause severe leg cramps

while i personally have never heard of this particular symptoms as a real 'side effect" with any hydro based med, how YOUR individual body and its very unique physiology will react to just about ANY real med is really very individual. i would call the pharmacy and ask them what THEY think about this just to see. but i am wondering if your dentist actually rxed ANY anti Bs for this too? while narcotics generally wont create the really profound types of symptoms you are describing(except when actually going off after a good length of time?) but the anti Bs in some people, esp the anti B cipro? very MUCH CAN create the types of symptoms you are having.

when i had to take the med cipro, what YOU are actually describing here is just exactly what my legs did and felt like? that is why am asking about ANY forms of anti Bs here at all? they just could be the more underlying culprit moreso than the hydro would be, thats all. most anti Bs do take a bit to actually even reach whats called a real true 'thereputic level'? so having what you do the way it simply presented itself after time, would and could make much more sense here? i just realistically do not think this IS the hydro.

two possibles too would be either a low potassium or magnesium in you as well? these two elements, when depleted in us just CAN create some really crazy muscle types of issues too. if this does not clear up like really soon for you, just get in to see your actual primary doc for some bloodwork and an eval of your symptoms too(since this all could simply be a very strange coincidence with some other underlying 'condition" just there in your body deciding to actually 'present itself now too?). and i WOULD most definetly right now, call the surgeon(surgeons will also ALWAYS have some surgeon 'on call' to handle after hours or weekend stuff too just so you know since we are going into a weekend too here?) who did the work on you too? he just really NEEDS to know NOW what it is you are simply experiencing since there is always some chance that this just could be related in some way to what you had done too? what was the surgical procedure you had done on your mouth area exactly?

just what I know of modes of actions with most narcotics, this really does NOT sound to me like what would even be considered a 'normal' type of symptom to actually even have? esp after days of taking it(its there moreso when someone actually goes OFF them and not ONTO them?)? but other things most definitely could that need some ruling out, or in as the underlying culprit here? but DO call that surgeon now, today before we get into the weekend? and of course, if you just ARE on any level of real anti Bs here and what the name of them are would help alot to know? this just does not actually sound to me anyways like a real 'hydro' releated pain and problem with the types of ongoing symptoms you are now having? and esp after going OFF this and this is STILL the same,really does tell kind of alot in and of itself too?

do you have ANY medical or spinal issue at ALL that you have been dxed with along the way? are you currently taking ANY other meds at all? good luck with this and please DO keep me posted too? i really am very curious myself as to what could even just suddenly create this in you. Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Interesting. I just started taking hydrocodone about one month ago. My knees are shot. I take 1 "as needed" which means before any trip out where I will be on cement floors like at the grocery. I had not put the two together but I've had 4 bouts of cramps since I started taking it. And the cramping is all over the place, not just charley horse type. I took one pill yesterday and this morning I woke to a cramp in the middle of my left foot. I'd have two leg episodes, one in my back.

I'd have never thought of this as a connection but it's sure interesting that you asked this. And while I occasionally have a cramp, it's typically a once a year type thing. There are days I do not take a pill so I'll pay more attention and see if it's happening specifically on the days I do.

I did go buy some sports drinks to get the right minerals into me and making sure I stay hydrated. Certainly can't hurt but it keeps happening. Be interesting to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
(male)

Bloodstone HB User

Just a friendly warning, That drug is by another name vicodin. It is an opiate, very addictive... I was on it only 1 year every day I took 6 a day. I started, at 2 a day... took 2 weeks, of withdrawl sickness, to get over it... it can make gastrointestinal, liver, ect...problems worse over time... can cause liver damage... change to over the counter_ tylenol pm, walgreens pm. It feels like hydrocodone without the narcotic addiction threat........sincerly bloodstone...

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-25-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 06-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodstone View Post
Just a friendly warning, That drug is by another name vicodin. It is an opiate, very addictive... I was on it only 1 year every day I took 6 a day. I started, at 2 a day... took 2 weeks, of withdrawl sickness, to get over it... it can make gastrointestinal, liver, ect...problems worse over time... can cause liver damage... change to over the counter_ tylenol pm, walgreens pm. It feels like hydrocodone without the narcotic addiction threat........sincerly bloodstone...

All true. (For me, Tylenol does not touch the pain of waiting for a total knee replacement though it might work for others.) However, just a clarification that it is the Tylenol that can cause the liver damage or failure. So if you switch to the Tylenol to be "safer", remember that it alone -- without the opiate -- needs to be used with the safety rules of that apply to acetaminophen regarding alcohol consumption, safe daily dose, etc.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

I find when I take Hydrocodone for a few days (I have bad teeth that are touch and go with pain onset) that I'll wake up several hours after a dose with my legs spasming. Is this the drug "wearing off" and my body reacting to it? Also, I'll have a runny nose, like WD symptoms. I'll get white sore spots on my tongue, too. Can these be Hydro-related? Jackbeanstalk

Old 06-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i was just going to 'ditto' that tyenol thing there res. it IS the tylenol part for sure that can create the GI problems and liver damge. just wondering if you have been down to the pain management forums to see what else you can do about that knee right now til it gets replaced?

my dad had to go thru two knee replacements over three years and believe me he DID suffer. for some, hydro can work, but becasue of soo much underlying inflammation that goes along with that need for replacement at all, there ARE other things that can help too? we just have a really great pain forum here down below this forum in the "P" section? just did not know if you had been there yet? i DO have one really great idea to help with what you will be dealing with post op if you want to post down there that really seriously helped my dad stay way ahead of the rehab post op? i just do not want to impose on someone elses thread here.

just an FYI here res, but i really am wondering if your particular cramping may have much more to do with what you stated you take this BEFORE actually doing than the med itself? just a thought considering the way you mentioned you actually take the hydro? i just really cannot realistically see an 'occasional hydro simply 'doing to you' what you mentioned? but walking alot or esp upon any cement floor that has no real 'give" most certainly CAN exascerbate an alreay there underlying 'leg/knee issue? you simply have alot of inflammed muscle along with a highly inflammed knee if you are scheduled for actual replacement? marcia

Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

you know... just to chime in here... when i was on percocets (they are not HYDROcodone but OXYcodone...) so a bit of a difference there in drug... but still... when i would get tired, id get a few leg spasms.
now that im off that stuff... and am reading these posts, im realizing i got those all the time when i was in bed. a little like what JackBeanStalk is saying. i never really understood what that was... and i was so high anyhow i think i didnt care and would just forget!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Little add on:

I've been doing my own little test and have decided that the hydrocodone is what's causing my cramping. I had not taken any for several days, no cramps.

Yesterday I went to a store where I thought I was going to be on concrete floors for an hour or so, so I took one. Well, turned out the store was closed due to a power outage so my friend and I went to dinner and back home. So I was not on my feet much at all. Yet this morning I woke up to cramping up my right leg. Not horrible, but the first cramp since the last time I took a pill.

So I'm thinking this might be, as one poster suggested, an effect of the drug "wearing off". And it might be that those of us who are only taking it 'as needed' would have this happen a lot more than those who have it steady in their bloodstream.

I was really hoping this was not connected. I hate being woke up with cramps. But it appears it might be.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
(male)

JayDay HB User

Hey guys been down the withdrawal symptoms bit more then one time due to several major surgeries that I had, so I'm pretty familiar with what it is.
So here goes....

Chills/Sweats
Nausea
Sneezing
Runny Nose
Tightening/cramping in legs & back
Pseudo-Restless leg syndrome(not quite it, but close)
Fever
Itching
Lethargy
Mood changes

.....and probably a couple more I've forgotten about, but It'll give you a comparison point to start from anyway.

Last edited by JayDay; 07-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

Yes this is VERY normal especially in people who have taken them longer than you did. i had to actually take them for quite awhile after my knee replacement surgery and the leg cramps after coming off of the meds were worse than the surgery itself. if you only took them 4 six days if you can hang in there a just a few more days they will go away but i'm not gona lie it's HELL until it is out of your system. GOOD LUCK 2 you and chat back anytime you wana.

Closed Thread