It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

Tin Woman HB User
Question Hi my name is ... and I'm an alcoholic.

It's the first time that I have ever "said" that. I chose the screen name Tin Woman because that's how I feel. I have no heart and I am an empty shell of a woman. I've known this for a long time. My family wonders why I have become a hermit. I've done this to protect them and myself. I don't want them to see all the ugly that is in my. I smile and act as though it's all ok.

I know that is started when I moved out ten years ago, to help with the lonliness. But the lonliness has been there all my life. It just wan't as evident until I was truely alone. All I do is drink on Friday, but I end up doing things, or saying things, that I would never do sober.

For example: Last Friday, I texted my sister to see if she and I were going to go get a pedicure on Sat. I had asked her a week prior, but never heard from her. She tends to do that, not call or be in touch for a while. She's busy with a husband and three children. She said that she had plans and that was the straw that broke the camels back. I got really mean to her and now she and her husband have told me that I'm not welcome in their house. She thinks I was drunk and I was, almost. I just don't know what to do. For now I will stay away.

I did realize that everthing I said to her, I meant, but never had the guts to say. I have always had very low self esteem. She always seemed like the perfect child and I was the bad one. I still feel like that to this day. I'm the one with problems, still single at 32, she and my mom sew together and because of the kids, she sees my parents a lot more. She alson has never made me think that she likes me or wants my friendship.

So I guess you can say the hurt of her never being what I wanted her to be as a sister, my drinking, my pain and jealousy was a very bad combo.

I know that I am an alcoholic, since I have no friends and I live in seclusion except for work and I look forward all week to drink. Then Saturday I spend on the couch hating life and sometimes Sunday too.

I just don't know where to begin. I have tried to be sober, but I'm even more depressed. When do I get to feel mentally better? People always say that you need to learn to love yourself. And yes I agree with that, but how? I've never been able to figure that out.

If you have any thoughts or advice, please let me know.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: Hi my name is ... and I'm an alcoholic.

Hello, Tin Woman, and welcome to you !!! I am glad you're here, and it's wonderful to hear you admit that you are an alcoholic. Find an Alcoholics Anonymous chapter in your neighborhood. You are hurting, and alcohol isn't fixing the hurt. It's so good that you are aware of that. You deserve a new start, and much happiness. This is the first step.
Keep going. You are a GOOD WOMAN, and you are an addict. You can be helped.

Sue

Old 07-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
(female)

Tin Woman HB User

Thank you for welcoming me! I'm actually thinking of joining Celebrate Recovery. The only problem is, the closest church that offers it is the church many people knew me when I grew up. This church and those people added to my hurt. I almost think that it's where I should go because of that. I know the leaders and they used to think of me as a daughter.

That would be ok? I guess I could go once and see if it feels ok.

Thanks Braveheart!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User

God already knows what you need to experience by doing Celebrate Recovery
at your home Church. This can be an incredible experience for you, a chance to forgive,
receive love, and be supported by people who are not strangers.
God's Plan is a perfect one. I'm excited for you! Please post again after your first meeting, will you?

Sue

Closed Thread