It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

needshelpchris HB User
Unhappy needing help

HI,
after reading a few of your stories, mine seems really bad! I have been addicted to vicodin/norco for almost 6 years. I am taking up to 30pills a day of 5mg each. I would like to get my life back and need help on how to go about a home taper.....any suggestions? i have not seen my primary doctor about this yet...but am contemplating a visit....
thank you

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-01-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: edited font

Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: needing help

I tapered off of oxycodone and i blogged about it. I think if you do a search on this board you will find other people who have tapered off of vicodin. I know a lot of people can't taper, they just can't control their intake. Do you have someone to help you to give you a lower dose each day? The Thomas Recipe for detoxing is goodjfor detoxing at home. Good luck. Keep posting

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
(female)

needshelpchris HB User

Thank u rosebuddy I phoned my primary doctor yesterday and they scheduled me for Monday. I explained over the phone what was happening. He phoned in a prescription for xanax for the weekend until I can see him on Monday. I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I haven't stopped the vicodin yet, but am hoping Mondays appt will help me start my recovery!

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-02-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 10-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Chris

Friend, two wonderfully constructive steps have already been taken by you ad I am so happy for you! First, you recognize that you need to get control of your life back, and second, you have contacted a doctor for the needed help. Way to go.

To step up and come clean with our doctor is just one of the most important steps we can make to find our recovery, but it is the hardest for many. For me, it was totally the most liberating thing I did. He told me right up front that he could help me. He also said he could only give me the best help possible with total honesty. I was so ashamed of where I had gotten myself, but I figured that I wanted help badly and if total honesty was what it took, then total honesty was what I was going to embrace. I was in such a bad place that honesty sure was not going to put me any lower.

Together my doctor and I put a tapering plan in place. I left his office feeling hope for the first time in a long, long time. That first week, it only took a day or so to realize that the taper had begun too fast. I went back and told him exactly what was happening to me and together we tweaked the plan. It was so wonderful to know he was in my corner.

He prescibed the oxycodone to a pill each time. My husband handled the keeping of the meds and doled out a day's worth at a time. I made the cuts every two weeks or so and only made the cuts once the withdrawal symptoms had abated and I felt strong enough to cut again. A strict rule for me on the opiate cut was once a cut was made, it stayed made.

Take time to read the second thread on this board called "a Sample Home Detox." Many helpful hints there for a cold turkey, at home detox.... while cold turkey is not the option for many, the hints are still worthwhile.

Be strong and commited, stick by your doctor and the board. I wish you every success and will be rooting for you.

With all hope
reach

Old 10-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
(female)

needshelpchris HB User

Thank u for sharing your story with me.....it gives me so much hope! I am looking forward to Monday and seeing my doctor. I have a question for you and anyone else who may have dealt with this: did u have to take any sort of medicine like suboxone, or methadone long term to help with the recovery process and your success?
Again, thank u to everyone for ur support and advice....I will keep posting with my progress.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-02-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Chris

No, I took no sub or methadone. Truthfully, I was so horrified by what Oxycodone had done for me that there was no question in my mind that I was getting off and staying off. For me, sober thinking came before I was off the drugs.

I was, however, also on Xanax, and I did not taper off that until I was done with the oxycodone. I would NOT suggest going on Xanax long term for a taper, though, because a benzo can be so very addicting and was harder to get off than the opiate. However, I have read that clonodine, a blood pressure med, can help a great deal in withdrawal. It has helped many.

I would suggest some live support with the whole issue of addiction, whether it be a group deal like AA or NA or private counseling. Get to the root of the addiction ( all abusers of meds have root issues) and the addiction can be conquered.

reach

Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
(female)

needshelpchris HB User

Ok, my doc prescribed xanax over the phone on Friday since I couldn't get in til Monday. I am going in with full exposure and vulnerability...I trust him. I will be totally honest and forthright...I know this is the first step to getting my LIFE back! I will look into support groups on Monday after I see my doctor and get my recovery plan together
Thank u again, everyone, for all the support!!!! I am feeling so hopeful

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-02-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey There

Good for you, Chris! Wonderful attitude.

Chris, I did not mean to imply not to use the Xanax your doctor had prescribed. I only meant to caution you to use it as sparingly as possible, only when absolutely needed. I would hate to see you overcome one addiction and find yourself facing another.

Withdrawal is but a physical process, although it can, indeed, be a tough one. Try to look at any withdrawal symptoms as symptoms of healing, for that is what they truly are. That helped me a great deal. My doctor also gave me a mantra which I said to myself many times a day... "I am getting stronger and better every day."

I am happy for you that you have the wisdom to understand that support must also be a part of every successful recovery plan. Again, good for you! In my own recovery, I learned so much about myself. I have often written that in the first year of my recovery, I learned more about myself than in all my other years combined. Some was painful to learn, some uplifting. A tough way to self-discovery, perhaps, but all worthwhile. To this day, I employ the lessons learned and am a happy person for it.

Keep us posted
reach

Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
(female)

needshelpchris HB User

Thank u Reach for ur wisdom and understanding. My doc prescribed 10, .05mg xanax for Fridat, Sat, and Sunday. I have really only taken it to sleep, which has been helpful since I usually wake sweating at 4am needing my Vicodin. I am excited for tomorrow......nervous, scared, but mostly ready to LIVE again. I will keep posting. I will update my doc's and my treatment plan tomorrow.

I read ur posts and found it very, very insightful and will probably use it as reference while I am recovering. Unfortunately, I am alone in this as my husband does not know about this. He has questoned some bank withdrawals, but as addicts do, I lied about what the money was spent on....I am not planning on telling him ANY of this.....as I fear he would leave please keep me in ur thoughts as I jump into this new chapter of my life I will be looking forward to the beginning of my recovery....

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-03-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heya

How did the visit with your doctor go today? Been thinking about you and hoping all is good.

reach

Old 10-05-2010, 05:27 AM   #11
(female)

needshelpchris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachout View Post
Heya

How did the visit with your doctor go today? Been thinking about you and hoping all is good.

reach
Hi Reach,

Well, I went to my appt and left feeling a little depressed. My doctor felt my addiction was bigger than he can handle, and suggested I call an outpatient rehab center. He did give me. RX for vic (30) and xanax (30) to help. I don't know what to do? Ant suggestions?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #12
(female)

meep591 HB User

You are doing the best thing you could do contacting your doctor and being upfront. <edited> it's great when someone is upfront about an addiction, and asks for help. Usually people are trying to hide addiction and work their doctor for more Morphine type substances. <edited> I have also lived through my own addiction to pain pills. Don't try to wean yourself, as this could be deadly. Your nervous system is now accustomed to the morphine. Also, be careful of the Xanax. It is addictive and even more dangerous to withdraw from than the pain pills. Take it ONLY as your doctor prescribed. I know its a difficult step to take, and believe me I fought it tooth and nail, but the best place for you is probably a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility, or a hospital detox unit. You need to look out for your physical safety as well as needing lots of emotional support and stucture.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-05-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 10-05-2010, 05:56 AM   #13
(female)

needshelpchris HB User

Thank you for replying to my thread...I still feel helpless...I went to my doc for help, and felt that I left with very little...not even a phone number for an outpatient center. Its still early here in california, and my family is home, so I will be contacting some outpatient centers as soon as I have some alone time......uuggh, I'm having a bad day my doc only gave me 30 vicodin, so it looks like I'm hitting my lady today to get more....I'm so scared

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-05-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 10-05-2010, 06:05 AM   #14
(female)

meep591 HB User

Your doctor may simply not be familiar with the process of getting people into a rehab facility. People usually don't do this through their doctor, though they should. Look in the phone book for a local facility. If you can't find one, or you don't have insurance, go to a hospital emergency room. DO NOT go out to get more pills. If you go to an emergency room and tell them what you've told us here, they'll know you're headed for life threatening withdraw. You'll get treated and admitted to a facility. I suspect your doctor may have sensed some reluctance on your part when he mentioned rehab facililty. When dealing with an addict, we all know no one can force us to get help if we're not ready, and don't really want it. When you are ready and willing, you'll be amazed at the amount of people willing to reach out a hand to help you. Try also calling your local NA or AA group. Go to a meeting TODAY if you won't go to a rehab today. They will also help you to get the proper treatment.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 AM   #15
(female)

meep591 HB User

I have to go out now, but I am worried about you. Try looking at it this way-you can either get the help now, of your own free will, or you can wait until an ambulance crew scrapes you up off the pavement, the police cart you off to jail, or your family calls the funeral home. All of this is what is waiting for you if you keep going with this addiction. Get help like your doctor told you.

Closed Thread