It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User
Question Detox from several meds - HELP PLEASE

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions, advise, stories. I am getting ready to take myself off al medications. Reason is I have been prescribed several meds over the past 6-months and feel as if I am getting worse and worse. I want to cleanse my system and start fresh to see what is me and what is the medication.
Here is my current list:
Soma 350MG 3x per day
Norco 10/325 4x per day
Elival 50Mg 1X Per day
Metformin 500MG 2x per day
Xanax .25 MG 3x per day
Valium 50MG 4x per day
Cymbalta 1x per day
Lexspro 20MG 1x per day

Do you see what I mean. They just keep throwing pills at me. What I am actuall taking right now is

Soma 3 of them 1 - 2 times per day
Norco 2 of them 2 - 3 times per day
Xanax 3 of them 1-2 tmes per day
Valium 2 of them 1 time per day
Elival 1 per day

I want to stop all of them tomorrow cold turkey and deal with the detox for a week to see where I am. I have severe leg, arm, neck, pain due to spinal surgeries and Migraines. I don't know if I am coming or going, have times where I dont remember thenight before. I need to ge ready to go back to work. I am set to drink lots of water, cranberry juice, and fresh fruits and veggies. I got the hot tub going for aches and pains. I have tons of aspercream on hand. I would like to know what to expect. How to help with symptoms. I have never had a drug problem and don't feel I am mentally addicted I think the doctors have just over prescribed to shut me up due to my symptoms. Who knows what I am even feeling any more with all this crap in me. Please help....

Thanks

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
(male)

musicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB User
Re: Detox from several meds - HELP PLEASE

Sandy, you NEED to see your doctor and do some sort of taper. You MUST taper from your Benzos (valium, xanax) MUST MUST MUST. Opiate withdrawal is hellish at best, but is not considered life threatening. Stopping benzos IS life threatening and they must be slowly tapered. Please take this advice and do not go cold turkey and go to your doctor to help you set up a plan.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
(male)

musicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB User

Furthermore, your benzo usage has not been that long BUT it has been long enough. You are taking 2 kinds at a relitivaly higher dose. Word of advice, if your doctor says to you that you have not been on them that long and you will see no problems if you cold turkey, grab your coat and purse and walk out the door and find another doctor. Many doctors think there is no discontinuation issues, and that is blatantly false.

You will be able to get off the meds, but you have to be resposnible with a taper for the benzos. I really cannot stress this more to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to musicman3 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (10-31-2010)
Old 10-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

So would you suggest first going off the NORCO and staying on the Xanax and Valium for a while? I don't understand. Probably the brain fog due to the drugs I'm on. The reason I want to feel is to see where I am after the surguries if I am really in pain or it is the drugs telling me I am i pain. I can go see my PM doc but all they want to do it give me more meds it seems no real help for the pain and where the pain is coming from. I am constantly in pain and the meds just seem to make it worse not better. I have applied for LTD and SSDI due to continued pain and the inability to deal with it. Thanks for your reply I will talk to my PM and see what they suggest.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
(male)

sacsfinest HB User

sorry to hear that i myself just went cold turkey from opiates im 14 days clean from 100mg morphine 80mg oxy and 100mg nor-co ... i went cold turkey and i wont lie it was the worst 4 days of my life those initial 4 days but after that things start getting way better in the 5-7 day range minor symptoms left diarrhea vomiting which is cake compared to the dt symptoms when u first start.... there are a few things that you will need to get if you are serious about quitting that really helped me a lot, they are bananas apple juice .. Imodium , Epsom salt because you are going to spend most of the first day taking hot baths they temporarily relieve the dt symptoms .. get vitamin c vitamin b6 zinc and men/women health pill take these twice daily starting the first day of withdrawals drink a ton of fluids as much as you can and eat as many bananas as u can the potassium helps with the b6 to bind seratonin to your brain making the opiates leave your system faster... one last thing if you have access to adavan Valium or some type of muscle relaxer they help great with being able to sleep.. i had to go to the ER at 4 am the first night to get a shot of adavan than i was finaly able to sleep that first night... so if u dont have access to those and it gets unbearable go to er and tell them u are having withdrawals from opiates and they will give you a shot of adavan than will greatly help out and give you 6-8 rx for the next cpl days.... this is what helped me out im not going to lie the first 3 days is going to be the worst of your life its going to test your will as a person just remember after the first day n half of the dt's its all uphill from there im 14 days clean and feeling better every day if i could do it than anyone can good luck theres people here for you stay strong... ps i wouldnt recommend going cold turkey from the valium could be deadly use the valium to get through the opiate dts than kick the valiums afterward... good luck

Old 10-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
(male)

godhelpme91 HB User

Was it your doctor that prescribed valium, xanax and somas or was it recommended by your therapist? and why.

I know a few things about pills and can tell you this: Most pills to help you detox from another pill is addictive, and the best way to stay sober is find something that makes you feel good, other than pills. You will not like the alternative while going threw the detox because withdraws are not fun. Ride a bike for 20 minutes or more each day while you are detoxing. Go to the grocery store and pick out some green\black tea that looks enjoyable. You will enjoy the tea either warm or cold. Make a list of what you plan on doing the next day, and follow threw with that list. You will only benefit yourself making accomplishments. Stay on track and remember your goals. It is easy to go back down the wrong path, however relapsing can be a big part of getting sober. If you happen to relapse and start taking pills again, please remember what I said - find something you enjoy and start making that your hobby as if you are addicted. You are hearing this advice from a recovering addict of 30 mg oxycodone - aka "Blues", "Roxys" "30s". I have 10, 20 and 30 pound weights I actually use again to do curls and practice yoga techniques (it soothes the mind and relieves stress), I have a schedule for my meals I eat throughout the entire day. I wake up and go to bed at the same time every night, and Most of all I am much more active than I use to be. The more you are busy, the less time you have to think about the ********. Keep your mind focused on your goals and do something to occupy yourself that becomes a daily habit.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
(male)

godhelpme91 HB User

Was it your doctor that prescribed valium, xanax and somas or was it recommended by your therapist?

I know a few things about pills and can tell you this: Most pills to help you detox from another pill is addictive, and the best way to stay sober is find something that makes you feel good, other than pills. You will not like the alternative while going threw the detox because withdraws are not fun. Ride a bike for 20 minutes or more each day while you are detoxing. Go to the grocery store and pick out some green\black tea that looks enjoyable. You will enjoy the tea either warm or cold. Make a list of what you plan on doing the next day, and follow threw with that list. You will only benefit yourself making accomplishments. Stay on track and remember your goals. It is easy to go back down the wrong path, however relapsing can be a big part of getting sober. If you happen to relapse and start taking pills again, please remember what I said - find something you enjoy and start making that your hobby as if you are addicted. You are hearing this advice from a recovering addict of 30 mg oxycodone - aka "Blues", "Roxys" "30s". I have 10, 20 and 30 pound weights I actually use again to do curls and practice yoga techniques (it soothes the mind and relieves stress), I have a schedule for my meals I eat throughout the entire day. I wake up and go to bed at the same time every night, and Most of all I am much more active than I use to be. The more you are busy, the less time you have to think about the ********. Keep your mind focused on your goals and do something to occupy yourself that becomes a daily habit.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
(female)

It was my doctor I don't have a therapist. I think I need one though I havn't done the detox yet. I have another procedure on Thursday and thought I would wait until after that. They are doing another MMB w/Nerve root burning on my lumbar left this time.

The whole reason I am on these drugs is due to back, leg, neck, arm, pain. I started with several ruptured discs. Had ACDF on C6/7 due to severe stenosis and was told that I could end up paralized if I got injured then went to Lumbar discectomy due to legs weakness and couldn't hold up my own body weight. Now I have had around 10 epidurals, 2-surgeries and a list of medications... I just want my life back and feel that the first step would be to get off the narcotics and see where I am really at, pain wise. I have done this once before but only lasted 6-days and the pain was so bad my quality of life was non-exisitant and had to decide if I wanted to enjoy life or lay in the tub all day????

I think it has been long enough now 6-months that I should be able to deal with the pain with Tylenol and not need narcotis. The Valium and Soma are for Muscle spasms they get so bad you can actually see the muscle bumps twitching it is weird to see andI never knew that they were spasms until they were pointed out to me in an MRI. They Xanax is for Anxiety I get really wigged out since this all started. having to apply for disability, being out of work, just not knowing what is going on inside my body and the pain alone is very depressing.

Thanks for all the post and I will make my list, meal plans, and get my crafts together. After my procedure on Thursday and start on Sunday night. I will talk t my doctor on Thursday.

I have never been addicted to anything but feel that it is more of a physical thing then mental. I just don't want to hurt myself by stopping these meds to abruptly....

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 11-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
(female)

Striving4Me HB User

please don't go cold turkey, you need to see your DR and tell him/her you want off and you need a tapering method, especially on the benzos, it's a matter of your life going off those cold , see your Doctor, you should try one at a time maybe, I'm not a doctor but with as many meds you are taking it sounds logical to take it slow
Best Wishes
There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
I've traveled the tunnel
Sincerely

The following user gives a hug of support to Striving4Me:
usamom (03-16-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Striving4Me For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
(female)

Talking Re: Detox from several meds - HELP PLEASE

I am still in so much pain I decided to wait it out. I did cut back a lot though and only take one of the Norco and one of the Soma at around 3pm cause that is when I can't stand the pain anymore. I take my Xanax only one time 1st thing in the AM and Valium only one time in the evening. seems to be working I am still in lots of pain but at least I am feeling which is a good thing. Thanks for all your post and support

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
(female)

usamom HB User

Good evening, I feel for you I take all kinds of pain pills and xanex and just more and more things everytime I go to the doctor. I have been researching to get help. In my opinion, I don't think you should quit cold turkey. The with draws have had me in the ER. They are very very bad and everything will hurt, not just your injuries. I am thinking about getting my system flushed because I am 44 and I am so sick of having to depend on pills. I will find me a doctor who care eventually. You should get help from a rehab if you cannot slowly stop taking your meds by your self. It is a sickness of its own. I have been taking pain meds for 9 years, and it is ccausing me so many other problems. Please get help and please do not just stop taking them. Good luck and if I ever find anyone who will or could help I will post, sincerely concerned in WV

The Following User Says Thank You to usamom For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
(female)

Thank you for all your kind post. I did not stop. I was unable to talk to my doc at my last procedure he said it was for one thing only and of course, I had to schedule an office visit. I have finished with my Nuerologist and only have a Migraine medicaion from him that I only take at the onset of a Migraine. I will ask to stop my Norco and Soma at my next APPT scheduled and see what they offer me. My Psyc Doctor does not feel it smart for me to stop the Benzo at this time. So, I guess for now I will continue and see where I am at. I just can't get over that 7 months ago I was a Healthy 43 year old Social Worker with a good job, wonderful fosterkids, and great future. Now I have a wonderful family (Always), no fosterkids, no job, long term disability and appointments every month. How did I get so old so fast? I hate this, I hate pain, I hate all of it. Thank god I have a wonderful husband that puts up with me. Thanks for all your post and kind words I believe you all stopped me from a big mistake going cold turkey and possible effects. Again thank you

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
(male)

Glad to see you Sandy. Glad you took my advice about the benzos. You should start with one thing and then go on to the other. As I have stressed before, and as I see you now know, do NOT cold turkey from your benzos. Your really do need to work on what you are going to do with the benzos and a taper. You do not want to keep going on with taking them. Please make an appointment to figure out what you need to do and where you will start. I am very lucky that I only take benzos sparingly and never developed an affinity or addiction for them. I am having my own issues with my oxycodone dependence and tommorow is my last day I will be on them I have had a hard time over the year getting over the few day hump. This time around I prepared myself with a multitude of vitamins, fluid and better nutrition. I hope this will negate some of the bad symptoms I get for 2 to 3 days. I do have ativan and ambien that I will use for a few days to help. We will all get through this and a year down the road we will all be here with success stories and how much better our lives are without our pills!

Keep us updated

The Following User Says Thank You to musicman3 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (03-28-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

good luck sandie, musicman is right about the benzo withdrawls they are dangerous. I am sure u have legitimate pain with all of those surgeries. Are you sure you are going to be able to go off the opiates. I hope you can. I am just saying you gotta think of the pain level. If you can or cannot take it. Good luck to you. If you go off anything try the opiates first. those supposedly are easier than the benzos.

I am struggling with going off oxycodone (roxis) and am tapering very slowly. It needs to be faster though. I hate myself for needing this crap. It is like you can be a slave to the pain or a slave to the drug!

The Following User Says Thank You to oxygirl For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (03-28-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygirl View Post
good luck sandie, musicman is right about the benzo withdrawls they are dangerous. I am sure u have legitimate pain with all of those surgeries. Are you sure you are going to be able to go off the opiates. I hope you can. I am just saying you gotta think of the pain level. If you can or cannot take it. Good luck to you. If you go off anything try the opiates first. those supposedly are easier than the benzos.

I am struggling with going off oxycodone (roxis) and am tapering very slowly. It needs to be faster though. I hate myself for needing this crap. It is like you can be a slave to the pain or a slave to the drug!
You are right Oxygirl as far as a slave to the pain or a slave to the pills. I hate putting that stuff into my body and feel weak that I have to but I do have so much pain even with the pills I am not sure I am ready. Just today I had to go to the court house to get some adoption papers for two kiddos we adopted last year "before my drama" and I took my normal morning concotion 1-norco; 1-soma; 1-clonazapan; and 1 lorazapam let me tell you I was in so much pain I almost didnt make it home. My legs gave out, my calves and lower back were on fire. My neck, arms and shoulders felt like they were being stabbed. All I could think about was to get home and take a hot bath... I hope this ends soo and is not a sign of my future. I am sure we will have success stories in the next year or so i know i will just nnot quite yet. I can go further than a few months ago and that is a plus and tells me that my body is healing. I just wish it would hurry up and suck it up. LOL Hope you are all doing well and dealing with your own issues. Thanks for lettng me vent. On to my hot bath:_

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Closed Thread