It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User
Question Is Tramadol considered an opiate? I've heard different opinions...

I was recently prescribed Tramadol 50mg by my neurologist and was told that it's not a narcotic/opiate. Then I went to fill the prescription and the pharmacist told me that it does have some derivative of opiates in it. Leading her to also say that there is a small risk of addiction and withdrawals. I'm confused on what info to go by... I've done a little research online but would really like to hear how people on this board have experienced Tramadol. Thanks so much for your input! I've struggled with a norco addiction in the past and I don't want to wander into that world again! Thanks again ~

Lizzy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Re: Is Tramadol considered an opiate? I've heard different opinions...

"Tramadol is a synthetic analog of the phenanthrene alkaloid codeine and, as such, is an opioid and also a prodrug (codeine is metabolized to morphine, tramadol is converted to M-1 aka O-desmethyltramadol). Opioids are chemical compounds which act upon one or more of the human opiate receptors."

Tramadol is definitely an Opiate. Many users say that Tramadol is junk. There are numerous side effects also that need to be looked into....

As for addiction, Tramadol is a nightmare.

"Tramadol is associated with the development of physical dependence and a severe withdrawal syndrome.[59] Tramadol causes typical opiate-like withdrawal symptoms as well as atypical withdrawal symptoms including seizures. The atypical withdrawal symptoms are probably related to tramadol's effect on serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake. Symptoms may include those of SSRI discontinuation syndrome, such as anxiety, depression, anguish, severe mood swings, aggressiveness, brain "zaps", electric-shock-like sensations throughout the body, paresthesias, sweating, palpitations, restless legs syndrome, sneezing, insomnia, tremors, and headache among others. In most cases, tramadol withdrawal will set in 12–20 hours after the last dose, but this can vary. Tramadol withdrawal lasts longer than that of other opioids; seven days or more of acute withdrawal symptoms can occur as opposed to typically three or four days for other codeine analogues."

Last edited by Isotope; 12-05-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: ...more info added

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
(male)

musicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB User

If you have struggled with Norco addiction then definitely stay away from Tramadol. It IS an opiate, just not in the classic sense. It also has anti-depressant qualities which can be a nightmare to withdrawal from. I have just heard nightmare stories about tramadol and if you already had an addiction issue, I would stay clear.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
(female)

tiredofthebs HB User

Hi!! That is a good question. I am a recovering addict, and had severe back pain. I was told by my doctor to try Tramadol, as it was non-addictive. After a while of taking it, studys showed that YES, IT CAN BE ADDICTIVE. So please be careful when using it, or don't use it at is a better option. Sometimes we run out of options though. I took it for almost a year, and had no side effects or withdrawls from it. HOWEVER, I have a close friend who was on it for around 5-6 months or more, and had SEVERE withdrawl reactions. She claimed it was as if she was withdrawling from Heroin. So please be cautious when using this.

Hope this helps!!

Tiredofthebs!!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

The addiction/dependence risk is very low, however, if you're concerned, taking advil (2 tabs) and Percogesic (2 tabs) can give very effecttive pain relief with no addiction risk.

Advil is ibuprofen, an antiinflamatory painkiller, Percogesic is a mix of a low dose of Tylenol and phenyltoloxamine, an antihistamine with sedative and muscle relaxant effects.

The two in combination can be very effective..... with your doctors ok of course

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I've taken a couple Tramadol pills so far and they have actually helped with my headaches, but after reading what everyone has to say about the side effects of this med I'm going to re-think this. My neuro doc said that if this medication doesn't help we can always try another so maybe I'll give her a call this week - let her know that it did help but that I've heard about the possible side effects and would like to try another med. One doctor that I saw actually was going to write me an rx for 100 norco but I declined and said I'd rather try something else... now that's not something I would have done just over a year ago! I would have jumped at the chance to have that ongoing prescription!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

i had a shot of that for a back spasm in april. it works on the brain vs most meds going through the lived. opiates are stronger class of drugs.

Closed Thread