It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
(female)

Jasper22 HB User
Worried about being given Methadone for Oxy Detox

My husband is in detox for Oxycotin and Oxycodene addiction and they are giving him methadone to deal with the withdrawls. He seems fine and in the past 2 days they have cut hime down from 20mg of methadone to 5mg of methadone. He is due to be released tomorrow and my worry is will there be any withdrawls now from the methadone? They seem to have substitued one drug for another. Im very confused by everything I have read so could someone please help me. He's been detoxing for 3 days off Oxys (The first 24 hours were spent in the ER wating for a bed in detox) and then when he got to the detox center they put him on methadone. Tell me he's going to be fine tomorrow when I pick him up or at least what to expect?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

corissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB User
Re: Worried about being given Methadone for Oxy Detox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper22 View Post
My husband is in detox for Oxycotin and Oxycodene addiction and they are giving him methadone to deal with the withdrawls. He seems fine and in the past 2 days they have cut hime down from 20mg of methadone to 5mg of methadone. He is due to be released tomorrow and my worry is will there be any withdrawls now from the methadone? They seem to have substitued one drug for another. Im very confused by everything I have read so could someone please help me. He's been detoxing for 3 days off Oxys (The first 24 hours were spent in the ER wating for a bed in detox) and then when he got to the detox center they put him on methadone. Tell me he's going to be fine tomorrow when I pick him up or at least what to expect?

In my opinion, I would rather detox from the OXYS than to have been put on methadone for the withdrawls.

Recently, when I was arrested, I was on 20mg of methadone....I hadn't taken it two days prior to being arrested and didn't receive it until 2 days after being arrested. I went thru pure hell. I felt like I was crawling out of my skin.

To taper someone from 20mg to 5mg is ridiculous. Thats a 75 percent reduction in medicine.

To go from 100mg to 75mg not too bad (still bad but not so bad) but from 20 mg to 5 mg.........what the hell are these "professionals" thinking.

Get ready for one helluva withdrawl. The methadone is in the fatty tissue and .......Ill leave out the details since I am in no way shape or form a doctor.

Get him back on methadone or to another place that will give him methadone and let him taper 1mg per week at 15mg as a starting point. Its not humane what he will go thru.

expect the following: nausea, vomiting, the runs, severe leg twitching, insomnia, constant yawning, shivers, sweating etc....then the real pain starts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

Well sounds like you know your stuff doctor or not. I am trying to taper off of 120 mg of oxycodone per day. i have run short on my meds because i took extra here and there when i was having a bad day. I have a legitimate reason for receiving pain medication. however, it is like trading one devil for another. i have been taking lortab10's 4 x day and have been nursing 3 oxycodone 30s for the last 3. it hasn't been horrible but it has been bad. i took enough immodium to stop up my body for a year! how would u suggest tapering...

Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

corissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB User

Avoid meth if u can. U are better off tapering down the oxys than taking meth. I have kicked every habit except meth. I think meth is a good alternative to heroin (while similar to oxy) still harder to kick.
Meth was created to... I dont want to start this.

Anyway, if u have no choice, start off at 20mg (15mg better) and taper 1mg per week. The lower u go on meth, the slower u go when tapering. Its not a race and theres no reward for finishing fast. I have friends on 5mg for the past 5 or so years...its there for u and the alternatives are much worse. Good kuck

Last edited by corissa3; 12-14-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Closed Thread