It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

pregonmethadone HB User
6 months preg on methadone, worried

Hi, my story is this; I used to be addicted to oxycontins eventually with the help of detox programs and suboxins I got clean. I had some legal issues and family issues and got depressed and stupid me went back to my old ways only this time I went and did heroin. I skipped a court date and was arrested for failure to appear. I was sent to the female prison where they did a urine test which resulted positive for heroin and pregnancy. Later found I was two months along. My period has never been regular. I had no idea. The jail gives pregnant inmates methadone to prevent or help detox. After a week in I was released, no instruction on methadone. The next day I was so sick my boyfrienf took me to the ER they gave me methadone as pescribed by the jail. Told me I had to stay on methadone as detoxing could and most likely would cause miscarriage. Now I'm in a clinic where I have to go everyday to get medicated. I was told that there would be no problems with my baby, both my doc and counselor told me the baby would be fine. Now I'm hearing horror stories of babies going thru withdrawels from methadone, staying in the hospital for weeks. I'm scared for my baby. I never would want to do this to an innocent child who didn't ask to be brought into this world. I'm looking for advice. If you've been thru this or know anything about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, -T

The following user gives a hug of support to pregonmethadone:
kitty13 (01-13-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User
Re: 6 months preg on methadone, worried

I just read your post and have no knowledge of this so I googled "will methadone affect my unborn baby". and there are many sites with info, in short, the methadone has the ability to harm the baby. hey were saying dont trust your clinician, but talk to someone who knows directly how this may affect your baby.

they also said watch the dose because a high dose can act as a cns (central nervous system) depressant, and can cause the baby to have lack of oxygen, or be born with withdrawal symptoms. Again this is just from me speed reading a few links. Google the question, and see what people have to say there too

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
(female)

pregonmethadone HB User

Thank you for taking the time to look up this info. I will google some questions.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

corissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB User

What dose are you on?

My ex was on the program and she was on 25mgs. She could not stop but she did go every other day. Not sure if that made a diff (not my child and never followed up) but maybe that could help??

Good luck

Last edited by corissa3; 01-13-2011 at 08:09 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to corissa3 For This Useful Post:
pregonmethadone (01-14-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

i have a friend whose daughter in law was on methadone the whole time she was pregnant. they weined the baby off methadone when he was born. he is doing fine and i don't think he went through much withdrawl. it is more important for you to stay clean so you can take care of him. after he is born, get situated and get off the methadone yourself. good luck to you and your baby.

The Following User Says Thank You to oxygirl For This Useful Post:
pregonmethadone (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
(female)

pregonmethadone HB User

I am on 120mg seems high but it doesn't last 24hrs. Feeling detox symp from late night until I get medicated

Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

I wonder Pregon if maybe the increased metabolism and the advancement of your pregnancy is not making you need/want more methadone. I don't keep in touch with my friend whose daughter in law was on it but she took it all through pregnancy and then had to give baby drops or something like that until he was weaned off of it. Mother and baby done well and he is a happy 3 year old boy with absolutely no developmental issues. The main thing is to keep constant communication with you ob doctor and the methodone docs. Continually voice your concerns and maybe they will go the second step to keep up with the research. Good luck

Closed Thread