It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

KatVonM HB User
fioricet/opiate help

New here and just wanting to know if anyone has gone off opiate alone???? I have support from family but I am scared. Fioricet really does help my tension/migraine headaches but I have been on it for about 10 years and 2-4 a day use to work. Basically I have been on a roller coaster with taking more and then trying to take less (being labeled) and not really feeling as if I am an addict. I do know nothing else has ever worked for me or I have bad reactions to many pain meds. Thanks for your input here!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User
Re: fioricet/opiate help

hey Kat,

you have to have something for those migraines cause those will make you feel like going on a crack binge if it would help. lol just saying and not really meaning it! but however, I have horrible migraines and take depakote 500mg at night and then i take imitrex for sudden headaches that last 3 freakin days! The imitrex keeps them at bay but they seem to rebound and i have to take another imitrex within 6 or so hours sometimes sooner. have you tried the triptan drugs? there are dangers and side affects to them but like i said you have to have something or you cant be functional. My advice would be to try to figure out something for those migraines then go off the other. cause it is hard to deal with that pain.
topamax works for some as a preventive med but depakote is also a mood stabilizer as well. so you might have to try one of those. i know when i get a migraine my back pills (oxycodone) do not touch my headaches. I have to have a triptan drug. talk to your doc and good luck to u

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
(male)

Metsfan HB User

I have withdrew from opiates twice. Keep in mind, I have never had migraines or any type of pain. I was on Oxycontin and heroin. I'm going to answer your question based on my experience. I have to say this is (especially the first time) not doctor or anyone with a brain recommended.

The first time I started to withdraw, I started throwing up, getting horrible cold sweats, and so many other wd symptoms. The way I withdrew was what a lot of addicts that are not thinking properly do, I started to drink. I was drinking hard liquor because it put my mind at ease and helped me get some sleep. I did this for about one month and the opiate symptoms were gone, but now I had a whole new set of symtoms, because when I stopped drinking I would throw up, not sleep, cold sweats,etc. That landed me straight into rehab.

The second time I had to get off of opiates was about 1 month ago. This time I went to a special addiction doctor and he put me on Suboxone. I highly recommend this route.

With all of that being said, I have never been on fioricet, so if I were you try to get an appointment with a doc that specializes in addiction and be completely honest with him. Don't be embarrassed about how much you take. Trust me, you are not the first and you are not the last.

Also, try to go to a narcotics or Alcoholics anonymous meeting. They may or may not be for you, but when it comes to addiction leave every option on the table,

Hope that helped. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

KatVonM ....Ive detoxed off opiates twice also..first time cold turkey (but i was only on 80 mg a day for 2 years, youve been on longer)...secondtime ive been using the odd ativan or clonazepam for anxiety. I dont get the migraines tho.

bottom line its possible...best of luck, keep posting!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
(female)

sunshindaydream HB User

Just had 2 say something here, firocet is a barbituate, not an opiate. I have derided @ home 2 many times 2 count frm firocet/fironal & @ separate times opiates. Opiate withdrawal is more painful & u feel like u will die, but usually,not always if there r other medical circumstances, will not die frm opiate ad. However, when deriding frm barbiturates, many have seizures, dangerous fluctuations in blood pressure & many more dangerous situations. A med. Detox is always a better idea than kickin @ home, but when kicking barbiturates or booze, the only safe way is 2 be under the care of a dr. Not ness. Inpatient, but talk 2 a professional who can help u do this the safe way. I am clean/sober for23 months, had 2 detox in the ice the last time. I have no memory of the 1st 2 days but was told & read in my chart that I had 14 seizures in 48hrs. Pls get professional help, & good luck. Oh 1 mor thing, I 2 suffer frm migrane, how I got hooked on firo 2 begin with. 1st 2 mos. Off firo. Was he'll, rebound headaches. Took omitted & got through. Now I only use excedrine or imitrex

Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
(female)

sunshindaydream HB User

Not sur what happened 2 the spelling in my post, oh, spellcheck on iPhone anyway everytime I say derided I meant detox. & I didn't mean to say opiate addiction will usually not kill u cause it usually will, I meant to say wd. Sorry, didn't want 2 sound like an idiot. Derided....what ?!lol

Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

2-4 Fioracet per day is a relatively mild dose of barbiturate, and shouldnt be hard to give up - reduce to 3 pills a day for a week, then two pills a day, then 1 pill a day, all for one week, until you are taking none.

Fioracet is a combo of acetaminophen, caffeine and a barbiturate sedative. You will get a similar effect by taking 2 Percogesic tablets (acetaminophen plus an antihistamine sedative) with a cup of coffee, without the risk of barbiturate addiction - hopefully this will help control your headaches going forward. A nightly dose of amitriptyline (start off at 12.5mg, slowly build up to 50mg over 2-3 weeks) can help prevent migraine and tension headache.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 01-27-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
(male)

underground1322 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatVonM View Post
New here and just wanting to know if anyone has gone off opiate alone???? I have support from family but I am scared. Fioricet really does help my tension/migraine headaches but I have been on it for about 10 years and 2-4 a day use to work. Basically I have been on a roller coaster with taking more and then trying to take less (being labeled) and not really feeling as if I am an addict. I do know nothing else has ever worked for me or I have bad reactions to many pain meds. Thanks for your input here!
Fioricet = Barely an opiate to even call it that, it contains codeine, acetamo, caffiene, and a barbituate.

Listen, You will not withdrawl from this, you may psychologically attached and taking more isn't really damaging unless you can't get a bigger supply. THat may have came out wrong what i mean is ask your doctor to put your dose up if you need it, apparently this drug sin't very strong so.

Headaches: I have chronic miagraines, ask your doctor for Emerge, 1 pill, headache gone.

Closed Thread