It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
(male)

inpain44 HB User
Question Long Term Pain Management??

Sorry wrong board - Newbie!!

Last edited by inpain44; 02-15-2011 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Sorry wrong board - Newbie!!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User
Re: Long Term Pain Management??

my two cents on oxycontin long term. I started off doing percocets (for the high admittedly)...did them for several months then i realized that the acetaminophen in them was really bad for the liver, so I switched to oxy 5mg, i did those for a couple months then they didnt work anymore, so I started taking oxy 10's, did those for a month, then realized that there are oxy 80s. I decided to just buy those and crush them, and divide them into 8 piles, this would give me 8 doses of oxy 10 when i chose, and it was cheaper than buying oxy 10s. In addition, I stopped getting the high from them, and they just made me feel normal.

my tolerance went up as it inevitably does, and i started needing 30 mg to get my pain to go away, then i needed 40 (4 of my little piles of crushed oxy 80), then as you can probably guess, my tolerance went up again and 40 mg wouldnt do it for me, I needed to do 60, then eventually 80 mg to have no pain.

Now the thing about oxys is when you stop taking them, you get aches and pains all over, and you cant sleep well at all. So 8 months into doing oxys I was buying an oxy 80 everyday (40 dollars a pop where im from). I was spending 600 dollars a month on pain pills, and I didnt get a high, it just made me feel normal.

I started to feel like I needed them in the morning to get going like a battery. I needed batteries everyday to function, and I hated it! I hated the cost, I hated that I wasnt getting high, it just took the edge off, and I hated having to go score them everyday and stock pile them, and worried that my source would run out, i really worried that if I coukldnt get them one day, Id be in big trouble! So I decided to try and quit.

Quitting oxys and the withdrawals you get are almost unbearable. I quit cold turkey and it was 3 weeks of pure hell. ask anyone who has kick an oxy habit, it is one of the hardest things Ive had to do in my life. In addition, there is the chance od going into seizures when detoxing cold turkey from opiates. I could have went into cardiac arrest at any time, and I had to work during all of this (I couldnt let my boss know i was addicted to pain killers).

The flipside is that with doctors monitoring, you can use oxycontin to relive pain, and when you decide to quit, there is a possibility of trying to ween off (take less doses each month, take 80 mg for a month, then take 60 mg for a month until you eventually get down to 5mg again....this is very painful, and getting off that last 5mg is impossible for some.

thats what I have to offer, Good Luck at finding your effective method of supporting your chronic pain.....

The Following User Says Thank You to second go For This Useful Post:
inpain44 (02-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
(male)

inpain44 HB User

thanks second go - glad to hear you managed to quit.

yeah that is the scary part of it - the stories you hear of people getting addicted. even people with originally a genuine need for the pain meds.

with Tramadol the first few 50mg immediate or even 100mg slow release really didn't do much because of many years on codeine etc., but really just as an alternative to codeine. Not enough pain relief so had to increase dose. Durotram 200mg slow release made me ill. Even with Durotram 300mg XR the first few did give me a real sense that i was taking painkillers because they worked and give a high - surprising really. but after a few days and now you don't even notice them anymore. even when taking 2 x 300mg Durotram + 2 x 50mg Tramadol + 60mg to 240mg codeine + 400mg ibuprofen - no real noticable affect. the days i have that much i am in serious pain and barely manage to function i.e. less pain with the meds but not gone. can't imagine not having them at all when experiencing the pain i am with the meds...let alone withdrawal....

I don't take that much most days maybe once a week or fortnight. but those are the days i need something that actually works and quickly.

Maybe a trial on alternating oxy with tramadol to keep tolerance down on both meds might work?

sorry i didn't realise i posted this new thread on wrong board - newbie. I just happened to be on this board when i posted new thread and didn't realise. never done this before here or anywhere...so was a newbie and a virgin...lol

have posted this thread on the appropriate "Pain management/chronic pain" board.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

people discuss this stuff on this board as well, but yeah, you might get more response from the particular section

Old 02-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

In pain,

I started taking narcotic pain relievers around 39 years of age. I am now 42 and totally addicted. I wish I would have stuck with trying to do some sort of physical therapy or something else. I just wanted a quick fix and to get out of pain so i could be a normal mother to my children again. It is not fun to have a mom who doesn't want to go shopping or to a movie because she hurts. I have fibromyalgia along with severe arthritis in my neck and spine along with bone spurs and some sort of hemangioma in the spinal cord area! Oh and i forgot to mention 2 bad knees which i have surgery scheduled for. however, i can't blame the kids! lol. just for the nervous breakdown but for nothing else. just kidding. I never took recreational drugs through the years. (I was a good girl) Drank maybe a little in my 20s. really in my late teens. So I do regret going this route. I have been drinking protein drinks like crazy and they seem to be helping with my energy. However, I am not going to attempt going off the oxys (really mine are called roxicodone 30) until I finish up with the knees. So inpain you have to decide what is best for u. Some people have no choice. Pain is a terrible thing to live with. I am sure there are people worse off than me. I am definitely going to make myself cut way down or off eventually. I do not want to be a slave to the drug. I also hate the pain. I am working on losing a few pounds and trying to do some mild exercises for now. I am going to beat the system eventually! I wish u luck and hope your journey goes well regardless of what path u choose!

The Following User Says Thank You to oxygirl For This Useful Post:
inpain44 (02-16-2011)
Closed Thread