It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
(male)

Bearish HB User
Question How much Xanax use puts you at risk for future dangerous withdrawal symptoms?

Hi there.

I started taking Xanax again for HANGOVERS just a few days ago. It was prescribed to me a long time ago for my anxiety. The Xanax gives me huge hangover relief and pretty much completely eliminates the unbearable stomach pains that I get after a night of drinking.

Now, the reason I am asking this question regarding Xanax withdrawal is because I binge drink almost every day, so my hangovers are daily, which also means I now take Xanax daily. I take 1mg at MOST (at the moment...), and sometimes half a milligram of Lorazepam. I am worried about possible fatal withdrawal symptoms in the future if I keep taking benzos every day, so I am wondering if it's the actual length of time you use it that matters or the dosage? Is 1mg a day with a few days of skipping enough to put me into danger? If yes, about how long would I have to take it? I know this is difficult to answer, but as long as I get some general ideas on this...

Ty!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User
Re: How much Xanax use puts you at risk for future dangerous withdrawal symptoms?

It all depends on the individual. But I have heard of people getting addicted to xanax after a few weeks of daily use (1 mg). Benzos are highly addictive and withdrawal symtoms are said to be the worst. I dont know this first hand tho, because I was scared by this info, and took benzo very sparingly when I experimented with them last month. I always took 2 days off between days so i wouldnt develop an addiction so I was ok, I quit once I read up on more horror stories about people trying desperately to get off of them.

Another thing is called 'rebound anxiety' meaning that with frequent use, when you stop and start to withdrawal (this can be 3-4 weeks in) you get anxiety but at a more intense rate than before you started taking the xanax. You could have the anxiety you have now (times 5) because you stop taking them abruptly, and the body says "what? wheres my benzos!!!! give me my benzos!!!! Im so used to it! oh your gonna pay now....now Im gonna make it tough for you to go outside or interact with your friends until you give me another pill!"

But I have heard of people using it effectively when needed, sparingly, and they manage alright (often with a doctors monitoring them closely on a plan)

Last edited by second go; 02-17-2011 at 03:55 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to second go:
Bearish (02-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to second go For This Useful Post:
Homie2011 (02-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
(male)

MikeMass HB UserMikeMass HB User
Re: How much Xanax use puts you at risk for future dangerous withdrawal symptoms?

I took .5 to 1mg of Xanax for 7 years. Although the withdrawal symptoms are very intense and can cause a seizure if stopped cold turkey, I found it to be the absolute easiest drug to wean myself off of. Usually at day 2.5 / 3 is when all of a sudden everything would get really bright, I'd get a massive headach, and I would slip into this non-reality state where everything just felt really dreamy and distant. ...Like nothing was real and I was just kinda "there".

The length of time and dosage does matter, but I can't pinpoint anything more specific than that, we're all different. The good news is you take a very small dose of the drug compared to a true benzo abuser.

In my experiment when I wanted to quit I simply took 1 pill every other day, than 2 days, than 3. At that point I took 1/2 of a milligram every third day for a week, than a quarter every 3rd day for a week, and so on. I got off of a 7 year relationship with Xanax in about 2 months with NOT ONE feeling of withdrawal or discomfort. Use a simple taper plan that works for your body and you should be all set.

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMass For This Useful Post:
Bearish (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMass View Post
I got off of a 7 year relationship with Xanax in about 2 months with NOT ONE feeling of withdrawal or discomfort. Use a simple taper plan that works for your body and you should be all set.
you were very lucky my friend.You would know somewhat more becasue ive never taken zanax and you have, but Ive read many accounts of people not being able to deal with the 'rebound anxiety'. Not arguing your point just providing 'Bearish' with info I have read up on, because I was going to take zanax last month and wanted to know as much as I could.

Congrats on the smooth ween off, I just weened off opiates as well as klonopin, valium, and Restoril (al benzos same family as xanax) in the same way. Some of us have it better than others. cheers!

Last edited by second go; 02-17-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
(male)

dbrock HB Userdbrock HB User

Xanax and alcohol are both CNS depressants so if you're taking the xanax after drinking you're constantly having CNS depressant's in your body which will double the chances for withdrawl, seizures or worse. I used to do the same and had a seizure from hell. Then again my habit was a lot more severe, after drinking a liter of vodka I would take around 12mg of xanax the next morning. Xanax and alcohol are very similar, I would be very careful and I hope you stop the drinking and drugging now before something bad happens that there's no coming back from. God bless

The following user gives a hug of support to dbrock:
Bearish (02-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to dbrock For This Useful Post:
Bearish (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by second go View Post
you were very lucky my friend.You would know somewhat more becasue ive never taken zanax and you have, but Ive read many accounts of people not being able to deal with the 'rebound anxiety'. Not arguing your point just providing 'Bearish' with info I have read up on, because I was going to take zanax last month and wanted to know as much as I could.

Congrats on the smooth ween off, I just weened off opiates as well as klonopin, valium, and Restoril (al benzos same family as xanax) in the same way. Some of us have it better than others. cheers!
Rebound anxiety only happens to people who take it for anxiety I take it? Like this person I didn't take it for that. I took it for tinnitus. (ringing in ears from a very old loud noise exposure injury)

Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMass View Post
Rebound anxiety only happens to people who take it for anxiety I take it? Like this person I didn't take it for that. I took it for tinnitus. (ringing in ears from a very old loud noise exposure injury)
-----------------------
The drinking itself will cause extreme anxiety and then when you numb that anxiety with benzo's it just gets worse and worse. I can only speak for myself and that was my experience as well as others I know...BTW I'm from Southbridge

Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock View Post
-----------------------
The drinking itself will cause extreme anxiety and then when you numb that anxiety with benzo's it just gets worse and worse. I can only speak for myself and that was my experience as well as others I know...BTW I'm from Southbridge
Wow no kidding. Yeah I drink but not to that extent. That sounds really horrible I'm sorry; now I know why xanax is taken the morning after.

I'm from Brookfield, Sturbridge, Wales....lived all around here. Nice to meet you local!

Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
(male)

To you as well Mike..Back on subject...

Always having CNS depressants such as alcohol and benzos is extremely dangerous especialy when stopping them suddenly. When I had my seizure my head got stuck between two shelves and was just banging back and forth resulting with stitches all over my face. Awful memories....

Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

Alcohol and xanax potentiate each others' effects. They are the two drugs (besides barbiturates) with withdrawals from which you can DIE. And everyone's body is different - what is extreme for some may be nothing to others. For example, I had two grand mal seizure from stopping taking xanax, and I had only been taking 1 mg a day for a couple weeks. I had been drinking a few nights a week with that as well. I would be extremely careful. I would strongly recommend you setting up a taper schedule with a physician. You take xanax to overcome withdrawals, but have you ever thought of quitting drinking? That sounds awful to be hungover ever y morning; I HATE hangovers with a fiery passion. So yeah, whether or not you see a doctor, cut back on everything very slooowly and take into account the combining of xanax with alcohol. Good luck!

Last edited by digmusic; 02-17-2011 at 10:23 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to digmusic:
Bearish (02-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to digmusic For This Useful Post:
Bearish (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
(male)

Bearish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock View Post
Xanax and alcohol are both CNS depressants so if you're taking the xanax after drinking you're constantly having CNS depressant's in your body which will double the chances for withdrawl, seizures or worse. I used to do the same and had a seizure from hell. Then again my habit was a lot more severe, after drinking a liter of vodka I would take around 12mg of xanax the next morning. Xanax and alcohol are very similar, I would be very careful and I hope you stop the drinking and drugging now before something bad happens that there's no coming back from. God bless
Quote:
Originally Posted by digmusic View Post
Alcohol and xanax potentiate each others' effects. They are the two drugs (besides barbiturates) with withdrawals from which you can DIE. And everyone's body is different - what is extreme for some may be nothing to others. For example, I had two grand mal seizure from stopping taking xanax, and I had only been taking 1 mg a day for a couple weeks. I had been drinking a few nights a week with that as well. I would be extremely careful. I would strongly recommend you setting up a taper schedule with a physician. You take xanax to overcome withdrawals, but have you ever thought of quitting drinking? That sounds awful to be hungover ever y morning; I HATE hangovers with a fiery passion. So yeah, whether or not you see a doctor, cut back on everything very slooowly and take into account the combining of xanax with alcohol. Good luck!

Thank you both and everyone else for the messages! Wow. A bit freaked out at the moment.

Closed Thread