It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
(female)

~Carolyn~ HB User~Carolyn~ HB User~Carolyn~ HB User~Carolyn~ HB User
Please help me properly taper tramadol

Im in thw worst situation in my life. I have been addicted to Tramadol for 6 months i would take 4 day. well in the last two months I became out of control and got up to 16. 8 at 9:00 am in the morning and 8 around 4:00 pm. I know this is very scary and the word part i take 50 mg of zoloft at night. Im in panic mode started reading up on serrotonin syndrome and am terrified this is happening or will happen to me. Last night is when i decided im done. I never had a drug problem ever other then smoking. I somehow got addicted when my grandma gave them to me when i had a absess tooth and from there on i wask hooked. I became super woman-or so i though. I want my old life back so bad but most importantly i want to be be there for my three little babies that are under the age of 5. I am a stay at home mom--with that said i dont think i could go cold turkey-and im affraid of a stroke or seisure. mind u no one knows my secret. i have 80 50mg pills left- today i only took 7 in the morn and 7 in around 4. Can anyone please help me with a schedule or any ideas on how to get through this would be appreciated. please dont be mean...i already know how stupid i am--

Last edited by ~Carolyn~; 02-19-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: need to add ultram to the tag list

The following user gives a hug of support to ~Carolyn~:
heather416 (05-24-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Carolyn~ For This Useful Post:
heather416 (05-24-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Please help me propery taper tramadol

Hi I am known for stepping on toes accidentally but my suggestion is to see a health professional who does this all the time or an addiction center and ask for help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi I am known for stepping on toes accidentally but my suggestion is to see a health professional who does this all the time or an addiction center and ask for help.
Your comment "your know for stepping on toes"--was a great warning but really am not looking for confirtation that intales someone stepping on my toes. Im here for help. I do not have any health insurance currently therfore that is also not a option. Thanks for your advice though and wish it was that easy.

Anway, I was really hoping to find somone on here that has actually gone through this and some good sound advice. I have been reading blogs on here for days and was hoping that i could find some of the comfort and encourgement that others have found--and of course a safe tapering schedule. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi you are welcome! I can tell a person that if it is done on one's own and it is too fast or if the body does not accept it, that if seizures are experienced or delerium tremens it can end up being fatal. Seizures sometimes go continuously instead of stopping so that the person might not make it. Also as for insurance goes some hospitals and even detox agencies are state paid and have special insurance for the poverty stricken. A phone call could check. Perhaps a relative could take care of the kids for a few days if this is a concern.

Last edited by sjb; 02-19-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: addition

Old 02-19-2011, 05:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Please help me properly taper tramadol

Reduce by one pill a day, so tomorrow take 15, and the day after that 14 etc, until you are taking none at all. There shouldnt be any withdrawl symptoms with a slow taper like this

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
~Carolyn~ (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi you are welcome! I can tell a person that if it is done on one's own and it is too fast or if the body does not accept it, that if seizures are experienced or delerium tremens it can end up being fatal. Seizures sometimes go continuously instead of stopping so that the person might not make it. Also as for insurance goes some hospitals and even detox agencies are state paid and have special insurance for the poverty stricken. A phone call could check. Perhaps a relative could take care of the kids for a few days if this is a concern.
I already know for a fact that there are no hospitals around here like that and as I said that is not a possibility for ME. Also I dont have any relatives around me or friends that are willing to take my a week off of work to watch my kids But thanks again for the idea. Once again i wish it was easy. But most of all I woulds like to especially thank you for scaring the life out of me. Which is exactly what I wasnt looking for. I already stated that I know the danger I am in that is why I am going to be DONE with this.

I dont mean to step on your toes but I get the feeling you are in the medical field and bounce around to board to board giving you medical advice...That is really good --Im sure it makes you feel great. Especially because I guarantee you are on the other side of the fence. But I really want to hear from some people that actually have gone through what I am about to. Someone that can give reassurance that there will be a day that I can put this horrible issue behind me.

I really dont mean to be so negative but I really dont want anymore advice from anyone who is gonna try to scare me so bad that I will be afaid to get clean So with that said I will end here and continue my fight ALONE....

Old 02-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
Reduce by one pill a day, so tomorrow take 15, and the day after that 14 etc, until you are taking none at all. There shouldnt be any withdrawl symptoms with a slow taper like this
Thanks Johnstar,

Was beginning to think I shouldnt have bothered posting until I seen your post. What a pleasent surprise. Just thought Id share a couple things as I was saying yesterday I cut down to 14 50 mg of tramadol from 18 50mg of tramadol. I dont know what it is or if its because I want it so bad but I feel better today already! I didnt even take my first dose till 10:30 this morning-was more busy concentrating on my little blessings this morning and didnt even care! The thought of taking it didnt excite me anymore- im sure thats because i knew the high wouldnt be there with the low dose. Sure last night I only got three hrs of sleep, and my legs were hurting pretty bad last night and had muscle spasms. But no pain no gain right? Also was wondering if it might be easier on me because of my multivitamin and extra half of multi vtamin i took. Also started taking b-12 and slow release iron--which ive had issues w low iron when pregnant. Also have been making myself eat and drinking a lot of gatorade. Ive been doing this for about four days now. As my habbit worsened I began not taking care of myself and barely ate or even took my vitamins as i always used to. Was reading about Fish oil? Do you know anything about it? If so do you think this may be benneficial? I worry about serritonin syndrome--i know st johns wart is a no no. Anyway sorry to bombard u with so much info--just got a lot on my mind and really have no once to talk to about this at all. Also as mentioned above i went down 2 pills yesterday-16 to 14-Im gonna take it a little slower as u mentioned 1 pill a day- so my first dose this morning was 6.5 mg of 50mg tramadol this evenings dose will be the same.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
(female)

*went down from 16 - 50 mg of tram to 14-50 mg tram- yesterday

The following user gives a hug of support to ~Carolyn~:
heather416 (05-24-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
(male)

marbelmo HB User

Carolyn,
I usually am in the Pain management section, but saw your post and wanted to help a bit.
As someone who's taken tramadol before as well as antidepressants I understand your dilemna and concern.
First of all, Hang in there!
Reducing a pill per day is not a bad idea, but when you get down to the 3 or 4per day range I'd switch that to a pill per week.
I assume these are not prescribed?
Internet purchased or something along those lines.
Do you have any access to a benzo of any kind?
If so, one long acting benzo per day would help eliminate any chance of seizures as well as help your WD symptoms.
No more than one per day through the taper though. Benzo addiction is not one you want to WD from!!!!
You're already doing great by starting a taper.
One more thing. If you can, stop your zoloft for the time being. You're already getting plenty of SSRI uptake inhibition with the tramadol.
plus, re-starting the zoloft when you get down to the end of your taper or close to it will help alleviate a LOT of the withdrawl you feel.
Try it if you can and please don't give up.
Your children deserve to have you around for a long time.

Take Care!

Old 02-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I would not suggest a whole pill less a day actually. If it was myself I suppose I would start by scraping one to take a little powder off one pill a day. The next day only slightly more etc. until finally off.
I would still be hesitant to do this without professional supervision especially since there are children in the home who depend on mom and if a seizure happens it may hinder work and driving later.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbelmo View Post
Carolyn,
I usually am in the Pain management section, but saw your post and wanted to help a bit.
As someone who's taken tramadol before as well as antidepressants I understand your dilemna and concern.
First of all, Hang in there!
Reducing a pill per day is not a bad idea, but when you get down to the 3 or 4per day range I'd switch that to a pill per week.
I assume these are not prescribed?
Internet purchased or something along those lines.
Do you have any access to a benzo of any kind?
If so, one long acting benzo per day would help eliminate any chance of seizures as well as help your WD symptoms.
No more than one per day through the taper though. Benzo addiction is not one you want to WD from!!!!
You're already doing great by starting a taper.
One more thing. If you can, stop your zoloft for the time being. You're already getting plenty of SSRI uptake inhibition with the tramadol.
plus, re-starting the zoloft when you get down to the end of your taper or close to it will help alleviate a LOT of the withdrawl you feel.
Try it if you can and please don't give up.
Your children deserve to have you around for a long time.

Take Care!
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me...Ive been waiting all day for someone to share some advice. Since I really havent got much advice yet, I just read other peoples blogs that went through this and listen and learn to all the great advice they had durring their withdraw. So once again Thanks for your kind words. It means a lot.

I really dont think I could get my hands on any any benzos but I do have some valium--they may be expired but if not im sure i could get some from my mom I could just tell her my insomnias kicking my butt...Would that help with seizures? That is a great idea about my Zoloft!! I think you may be on to something there...I was worring id have to increase my dose in the end...which is something i really didnt want to do....Let me know your thoughts... on the Valium.

Heres my thought on how i feel today considering the good high feeling is all gone. I hate Tramadol!!! I feel absolutely great! scared but great! Went to the grocery store and then for a walk all alone. felt like everything looked clearer and all my senses were so much more sharper. I miss the old me so bad. Would u believe i didnt even take my second dose till 6:30 tonight. I didnt even want it and i felt i didnt need it but i took it because im scared. wish I could just get this over with!! Im gonna really have to sit down and crunch the numbers with the amount of trams i got left. I think Im gonna be better of cutting fast and then the lower the dose the slower ill taper--cant run out when i need them the MOST! Tonight instead of taking the 6.5 half pills i was suppose to i just took 6. So now im down from 16 50mg trams to 12.5 50mg--Im sure ill hit the wall soon but for now I feel good-I feel alive again.

Anyway Im sure I will be up all night....Really hoping to hear some more advice from anybody. Thanks again.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-01-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #12
(male)

marbelmo HB User

Hi Carolyn,
Well, the valium is a good long acting benzo and has a long half life so if you were to take that at bed it would help you sleep and should stay with you long enough each day to help eliminate any seizure issues. Another type of medication that would also help would be something like neurontin or lyrica. Not sure if your familiar or even remotely have access to these.

Yes, I would do what you need to not to run out of tramadol.
When you get to a lower dose you will want to remove only one tablet per week. I know it gets tempting to hurry out of this, but please beleive me when I tell you it will be WAY more comfortable to reduce slowly at that point. The fact that you're already tapering and, thus, not chasing or expecting a "high" from the pills is the MOST important mind-set you've already aceived.

The B vitamins are great and crucial to keep your nerves in check.
Exercise like the walk you mention are also a great way to get your own endorphins flowing again. As you get lower with your dose and things get a bit harder, the more exercise you make yourself do will work wonders for you.

You probably already know that tramadol is a mild opioid type medication with SSRI properties. So the tricky part of coming off this type of med is because you have mild opiate WD along with the horrible SSRI antidepressant discontinuation discomfort. That's why I think eliminating or at least lowering the Zoloft until the very end of the process and then kick it back up to midigate the wd symptoms would really help. And, as I'm sure you're aware the more you take combined with the tramadol increases your risk of seritonin related issues.

Just keep the faith and remember that this too shall pass and you'll be fine.
99 percent of your battle ended when you decided to stop trying to get that supermom feeling from the medication.

Last edited by marbelmo; 02-19-2011 at 07:30 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to marbelmo For This Useful Post:
~Carolyn~ (02-20-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Seisures from opioid withdrawl at a slow rate(over two weeks) are unheard of, and reamdol is a mild opioid anyway.

Cutting back 1 pill a day for a 2 week taper shuld be fine.

If you taper at this rate, you shouldnt get any withdrawls at all, When yuo get down to say 4 pills a day, it might pay to cut down by half a pill a day, for a smoother end.

If you originaly started taking the tramadol for pain, is the pain still present, or is it gone?
If the pain is still there, you need to get that treated, or its gong to make staying clean more difficult. You can use tylenol or advil in the short term, as directed on the pack.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
~Carolyn~ (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
(female)

Thank you both so much. I especially thankful for the idea to cut the zoloft and kick it back in when Im done w tapering. The Valium worked wonders-never ever cared for them at all. But last night I think I slept better then I ever have in my life. But yep the Valium is all i pretty much can get- I can get hydros in fact I have a few that I was saving for the bitter end.

Wanted to fill Johnstar in about my pain issue. I ended having a toothe thay broke and turned absessed while i was pregnant-Dentist wouldnt work on me that late into my pregnancy-did give my hydro which is safe and antibiotics. Once the infection went away I didnt hurt and didnt continue to use the hydros. After I had the baby the pain came back and my insurance got dropped--so when the pain came back it was terrible. couldnt pick my head up off the pillow- well w a newborn a three yeer old, and a five year old that isnt happening-- My grandmother offered the tramadol for help-thinking they were lot less addictive then her hydros. Well thats when I became supermom! Even though I had the teeth fixed i kept taking them- from other sources on the internet. I had no idea for a while about the ssi factor in it-which was deadly combo with my zoloft and when i realised i was stupid and thought o well that wont happen to me. Grandma was worried because her daughter my mom- was a heroin addict since the age of 16 as well as my father was. Which unfortunately they r both in the methadone clinic today-Which they are called LIFERS! Well not my dad anymore...he passed 2 years ago.

My Dad passed away two years ago. Accidental Overdose or sucide from heroin- he was really depressed after withdrawing from methadone-we had no idea he was doing heroin again...he had started getting hooked on xanax then he o/d. they locked him up in a crazy ward after the hospital refused to give his methadone dose of 170 mg after 10 years history of being on it-he had seisures and u name it-he didnt even seem the same anymore- this man was my best friend we spent 6 days a week together-u would never know he was high he raised my first daughter my bby sitting for her my first 2 years back to work- my daughter in him for bf. well when he got out of this crazy place he looked so hollow- i think it was his firs time straight in years-it was like a stranger- he couldnt do it he cried to me and i begged him not to back to the clinic i found out later he tried to and they turned their back on him telling he had a process do do before coming back---he explained he felt he was gonna use street drugs something he didnt for years-they didnt care- as a nurse begged the doc to let him-she knew my dad was a great guy-the doc gave in it was to late he was already gone out of the parking lot-so she says this all was only three weeks after of being clean. He called and said he was coming to my house that day to drop something off. Bu first he pulled over at shoppin center to do heroin and never mad it to my house. I just had shared w him i was pregnant w my second baby too. Talk about hard! That was the most difficult time in my life- besides this of course I dont think ill ever stop crying over him. He was the greatest man i even knew! Ive been in bad shape ever since then! sorry for so much but i wanted to share some background about my depression w u. I bet he would kick my *** right now if he wasw here. But let me tell you he was the smartest man i knew-especially when it came to this topic-addidtion and withdraw- I have found myself a million times in the past few days as ive been reading what will help...and i say oooooohhh thats why he always had this at his house or thats why he always took that vitamin, etc. Kinda wish he was hear to help me-even know he'd be so dissapointed in me. I know him he'd pack his bags and stay with me in us girls to the bitter end nursing me back to a sober life and take care of my girls for me. Hes the onlyone i ever had that really loved me that much to do it. With that said a tear drop just hit my key board so i will stop right there!

Anyway--I feel the same i dont want to use at all--in fact i still havent took my first dose yet-but i better now just to be safe...So sorry for all this chattering about my dad--Just wish he was here right now. Thanks for your support Johnstar and marbelmo....ya see this is not my first rodeo with addiction- i spend my entire life trying to help my parents kick their habbits--terrible waY TO grow up i know but its ok ive learned a lot-But now I have become them and dont want to put my kids through what I had to. Take care everyone and have a nice day---if there is anyone out there that might be reading this just know that you can stop. You just have to have a goal and the willpower to do it---

p.s.

Last edited by ~Carolyn~; 02-20-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: accidental overdose

Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
(female)

Wink Re: Please help me properly taper tramadol

Thank you both so much. I especially thankful for the idea to cut the zoloft and kick it back in when Im done w tapering. The Valium worked wonders-never ever cared for them at all. But last night I think I slept better then I ever have in my life. But yep the Valium is all i pretty much can get- I can get hydros in fact I have a few that I was saving for the bitter end.

Wanted to fill Johnstar in about my pain issue. I ended having a toothe thay broke and turned absessed while i was pregnant-Dentist wouldnt work on me that late into my pregnancy-did give my hydro which is safe and antibiotics. Once the infection went away I didnt hurt and didnt continue to use the hydros. After I had the baby the pain came back and my insurance got dropped--so when the pain came back it was terrible. couldnt pick my head up off the pillow- well w a newborn a three yeer old, and a five year old that isnt happening-- My grandmother offered the tramadol for help-thinking they were lot less addictive then her hydros. Well thats when I became supermom! Even though I had the teeth fixed i kept taking them- from other sources on the internet. I had no idea for a while about the ssi factor in it-which was deadly combo with my zoloft and when i realised i was stupid and thought o well that wont happen to me. Grandma was worried because her daughter my mom- was a heroin addict since the age of 16 as well as my father was. Which unfortunately they r both in the methadone clinic today-Which they are called LIFERS! Well not my dad anymore...he passed 2 years ago.

My Dad passed away two years ago. Accidental Overdose of heroin-we had no idea...he had started getting hooked on xanax then he o/d. they locked him up in a crazy ward after the hospital refused to give his methadone dose of 170 mg after 10 years history of being on it-he had seisures and u name it-he didnt even seem the same anymore- this man was my best friend we spent 6 days a week together-u would never know he was high he raised my first daughter my bby sitting for her my first 2 years back to work- my daughter in him for bf. well when he got out of this crazy place he looked so hollow- i think it was his firs time straight in years-it was like a stranger- he couldnt do it he cried to me and i begged him not to back to the clinic i found out later he tried to and they turned their back on him telling he had a process do do before coming back---he explained he felt he was gonna use street drugs something he didnt for years-they didnt care- as a nurse begged the doc to let him-she knew my dad was a great guy-the doc gave in it was to late he was already gone out of the parking lot-so she says this all was only three weeks after of being clean. He called and said he was coming to my house that day to drop something off. Bu first he pulled over at shoppin center to do heroin and never mad it to my house. I just had shared w him i was pregnant w my second baby too. Talk about hard! That was the most difficult time in my life- besides this of course I dont think ill ever stop crying over him. He was the greatest man i even knew! Ive been in bad shape ever since then! sorry for so much but i wanted to share some background about my depression w u. I bet he would kick my *** right now if he wasw here. But let me tell you he was the smartest man i knew-especially when it came to this topic-addidtion and withdraw- I have found myself a million times in the past few days as ive been reading what will help...and i say oooooohhh thats why he always had this at his house or thats why he always took that vitamin, etc. Kinda wish he was hear to help me-even know he'd be so dissapointed in me. I know him he'd pack his bags and stay with me in us girls to the bitter end nursing me back to a sober life and take care of my girls for me. Hes the onlyone i ever had that really loved me that much to do it. With that said a tear drop just hit my key board so i will stop right there!

Anyway--I feel the same i dont want to use at all--in fact i still havent took my first dose yet-but i better now just to be safe...So sorry for all this chattering about my dad--Just wish he was here right now. Thanks for your support Johnstar and marbelmo....ya see this is not my first rodeo with addiction- i spend my entire life trying to help my parents kick their habbits--terrible waY TO grow up i know but its ok ive learned a lot-But now I have become them and dont want to put my kids through what I had to. Take care everyone and have a nice day---if there is anyone out there that might be reading this just know that you can stop. You just have to have a goal and the willpower to do it---

p.s. thought id share this i the fedex pulled up friday with a deliver for me of tramadol! i never ordered them---even called the norm comp i order from they said nope they didnt ship them---isnt that strange--i just said nop not mine and she turned them back to the truck!

Closed Thread