It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

Homie2011 HB UserHomie2011 HB UserHomie2011 HB UserHomie2011 HB User
Can xanax cause depression?

Been taking off and on but crap....I can't get out of bed...depressed bad just wanna sleep and not wake up. Not abusing them...just takes elephant off chest on and while....could be opiates calling? For pain due to surgery? I'm lost & fear losing me.

The following user gives a hug of support to Homie2011:
marlene0816 (03-08-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
Re: Can xanax cause depression?

I think that if depression already exists, it can be a tipping point from coping with the depression to staying in bed all day. I think it really helps to depress a person struggling with depression.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

well xanax is used to reduce anxiety, but if used often, when you stop taking them, you may experience what some call 'rebound anxiety'. And it is often worse than the anxiety levels you started off with.

People often complain of this when quitting or withdrawing from anti-anxiety medication.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Are you taking an anti-depressant, or just the xanax? If not, I would advise you to go on a anti-depressant which is made for treating depression, which xanax is not.

Either way, I would discuss this with your doctor because the staying in bed all day is not helping anything.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Homie

I think Resolution hit the nail on the head. It surely was my experience with long term use of Xanax. I was already dealing with depression and the Xanax taotally led me into real clinical depression and my bed.

Also, taking them "on and off" can be disastrous. That can put you in a constant state of withdrawal. Getting off Xanax is best done in a very long, slow taper. Never cut more than 5% at a time and do not make another cut until you feel leveled out again. For me, that was usually two weeks, a few times almost three weeks. The goal is to always make progress. Speed should never be a consideration.

Gotta drag yourself outta that bed, Friend. I know how hard that can be, but staying there just deepens the depression while moving about helps decrease it. Take it in baby steps... stand on the back porch for a few minutes. SIt in the window where the sun can shine on you. Do mindless tasks like sanding or sweeping. These things all help.

Hugs
reach

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
Homie2011 (03-09-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

You need to listen to Reach....lots of wisdom coming from her...

Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

Hey Homie, where u been? I have been away a little here and there. The others are right girl....xanax is bad and staying in bed is bad. I know I am not exactly the most expert in giving advice as my own world is a bit upside down for now. I am still taking opiates for pain but I also take them for emotional pain I think. It helps dull both. Cymbalta has been giving me more energy though. I couldn't tell at first but I am noticing I have more endurance and drive to do some things. talk to ur doc about that. and are u still in increasing pain. Did u get the scs put in? I don't know what to say about u using opiates because it is a ****** to be in pain and a ****** to be addicted to pain meds. I think we can expect to be physically dependent on them when we use them for legitimate pain but it gets to be a problem when u develop a tolerance to the meds. It is such an upside down battle. Let us know how u are. I miss ur humor.

The Following User Says Thank You to oxygirl For This Useful Post:
Homie2011 (03-09-2011)
Closed Thread