It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
(male)

tommyriley HB User
11 Weeks Without Morphine...anxiety or long term w/d?

Hi,
So I was on extended release morphine orally for about 1.5 years due to motorcycle accident when I decided last January (2010) that I needed to get off of it. I was taking about 360-420mg a day when I started tapering down. I tapered down the entire year of 2010 and took my last morphine pill on December 25th 2010. The week following was rough, but not too bad as when I had tried to quit cold turkey a few times earlier in the year. When I finally stopped taking the morphine all together I was down to 15-30mg a day.

So anyway, here I am almost three months later w/o the need for morphine! good for me!

I started developing anxiety/nervousness in my chest in March of 2010 so I have also been on various anti-anxiety meds like celexa, buspar, etc. and I was taking Ativan for days when it was really bad. I stopped taking the Ativan about six or seven weeks ago (no more benzo's no more morphine). I stopped the BuSpar about a week ago.

So I know that is alot of mixes of drugs, but heres my question - is this physical anxiety I am feeling (tightness in chest, nervousness) all part of my withdrawals from morphine and ativan? I don't seem to have alot of mental anxiety or not too much more than "regular" worry thoughts, but this nervousness is really eating me up.

I really don't want to be on any more medications and will gladly go through this anxiety if I know there is an end, so I am just hoping there is someone out there who has stopped morphine and/or ativan and had the anxiety go away after some time? Would really like to start living life and pursuing goals again, but these nerves just make me want to turn off mentally and zone out and watch TV all the time...

thanks for your replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User
Re: 11 Weeks Without Morphine...anxiety or long term w/d?

Hi Tommy. Congratulations on your new independence and life away from drugs. I know that a lot of depression and anxiety go with the territory just from listening from people on this board. However, never take a chance with the chest pains or any such feelings. I would definitely have a doctor look at it and run a couple tests just to rule out any kind of cardiac trouble. It could be high cholesterol or high BP that is making you have these pains or it could be anxiety. I would just get it checked to ease my mind if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyriley View Post
Hi,
So I was on extended release morphine orally for about 1.5 years due to motorcycle accident when I decided last January (2010) that I needed to get off of it. I was taking about 360-420mg a day when I started tapering down. I tapered down the entire year of 2010 and took my last morphine pill on December 25th 2010. The week following was rough, but not too bad as when I had tried to quit cold turkey a few times earlier in the year. When I finally stopped taking the morphine all together I was down to 15-30mg a day.

So anyway, here I am almost three months later w/o the need for morphine! good for me!

I started developing anxiety/nervousness in my chest in March of 2010 so I have also been on various anti-anxiety meds like celexa, buspar, etc. and I was taking Ativan for days when it was really bad. I stopped taking the Ativan about six or seven weeks ago (no more benzo's no more morphine). I stopped the BuSpar about a week ago.

So I know that is alot of mixes of drugs, but heres my question - is this physical anxiety I am feeling (tightness in chest, nervousness) all part of my withdrawals from morphine and ativan? I don't seem to have alot of mental anxiety or not too much more than "regular" worry thoughts, but this nervousness is really eating me up.

I really don't want to be on any more medications and will gladly go through this anxiety if I know there is an end, so I am just hoping there is someone out there who has stopped morphine and/or ativan and had the anxiety go away after some time? Would really like to start living life and pursuing goals again, but these nerves just make me want to turn off mentally and zone out and watch TV all the time...

thanks for your replies.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

i agree with oxygirl, it may be something altogether different. i quit opiates mainly morphine 100s this secocond time around and have been off for about 65 days, and i still get mild anxiety but its more mental, like i need a good temple massage and a vacation type anxiety/mostly work-related as well. but ive never experienced chest area anxiety.

my two cents,.. and yea never hurts to check with a few different docs. And super props on gettin off the morph and benzos, i went through that 3 months ago and it took a lot of will power! i was trying valium, ativan, clonazepam or rivies, and restoril (temazepam) and they did nothing for my anxiety, but made me sleepy and out of it, i was lucky. good luck

Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
(male)

tommyriley HB User

thanks to both of you for your responses. I went to my GP doctor last year due to fatigue and he ran a battery of tests, including a sleep apnea, and thyroid test, but have always just seen the psych doctor about the anxiety/chest tightness issues. I know I have a higher than normal heart rate, but my BP itself seems stable. Sounds like it's time to go back to the GP and have them look at my heart/chest a bit more. I did have an EKG run and a chest xray about 6.5 years ago when my father passed away at age 57 (and his father before him at same age, with same condition) as they both had enlarged heart, but mine checked out. I guess alot could have changed in six years especially with an almost life ending motorcycle accident.

sorry, rambling a bit there...

thanks again for the replies.

Last edited by tommyriley; 03-19-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

Tommy please go and ask to be referred to a cardiologist. I have seen people have perfect EKG's days before a major heart attack. I was a nurse for 10 years and although I did mainly geriatric nursing still I seen lots of stuff. Also, a GP just doesn't really have the skills to do in depth heart testing. However, they can start with cholesterol tests, cardiac enzymes, etc... If you have insurance just go do it. It will be a couple hours out of your day and it may save your life. Good luck to you and again congratulations for your success.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
(male)

tommyriley HB User

So it's been just about 5 months since stopping the morphine and about 4 months since stopping the ativan. I did get checked out by the doctors and had extended tests done that showed no signs of heart problems.

I'm still battling with physical anxiety occassionally - comes and goes.

My motivation is way down at work - hard to get moving here - I don't think I have done a solid 8 hours of actual work in the last 2.5-3 months - lots of procrastinating. Feeling burned out on job and daily "life" duties - but not so much depressed, just lack of interest and energy in so many things.

Still glad I ditched the morphine though. The only thing I am on these days is antibiotics for long term MRSA infection and celexa to help with the anxiety. Other than that, no drugs of any kind.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Tommy,

If I may ask you a question....my son got MRSA about 6 months ago and they said now he is a carrier and will always have it. He has an outbreak about once a month. Starts with a sore, then to an abscess, then having to go on meds, have it drained daily, very painful for him. My question to you is do you take antibiotics as a prophylactic against the MRSA or only when you have a flair up?

Thanks Kat

Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
(male)

tommyriley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
My question to you is do you take antibiotics as a prophylactic against the MRSA or only when you have a flair up?
For the first 1.5 years that I knew I had MRSA I only took antibiotics during flare ups. Since my last surgery to remove as much MRSA as possible (much of it was deep in my leg next to my femur), I have not had any outbreaks, but I do take doxycycline regularly - twice a day, every day for the last year. Every time I have attempted to stop taking it my leg starts to swell and I start feeling achy.

I'm hoping I can get to a point where I no longer have to take antibiotics, or only take them when needed, but for now, it looks like a long term thing - I am happy I have not had any skin issues with MRSA for about 16 months now.

Seems like the jury is still out on whether you can really get rid of this stuff once you've had it or not.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Tommy I dont think there is a cure for mrsa at this time. just managing it. I took doxycycline for a while for roseaca or what they thought was roseaca. I was actually sensitive to the cosmetics i was using but had used them for so long with and without flare ups that it didn't occur to me. i have red hair and fair skin and it is a bummer to find things that don't irritate u. One thing I did notice, I had increased anxiety and a slight reaction to the doxycycline. I could tell an absolute difference when I didn't take the medicine.

I was also without any energy at all a while back and my doc changed my zoloft to cymbalta and it has completely changed my life. It has given me the normal energy that most people feel on a daily basis. There were days when I wouldn't even come out of the bed or change out of pajamas. I felt that drained. It takes about a month to get into your system. I have fibromyalgia and with it comes symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome. I didn't realize just how bad it really was until i got some relief from it. I knew what was going on with me wasnt normal but I didn't think there was anything I cud do about it. Talk to ur doctor and see what he suggests for your fatigue and lack of energy. As long as u have been off the morphine, I just don't see how that could cause it but I am not a doc or anything so I couldn't say for certain.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
(male)

tommyriley HB User

Hey oxygirl,
Sorry to hear about your battles with fatigue & fibromyalgia - as well as the flare ups from the cosmetics! Appreciate your insight on this.

I have suspected for a while now that the doxy has been a part of the anxiety problem, but I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hardplace as I am alergic to most other antibiotics that even make a dent with MRSA, and if I don't take the doxy, my leg starts to swell up and I feel achy (MRSA is deep inside my leg now - all outward outbreaks have been tamed going on 16 months now). I think the battle with MRSA and the constant doxy use makes me fatigued as well - and the chest tightness/anxiety I get very well may be from the doxy. I have had conflicting reports from doctors on that, but in the end, even they (the doctors) admit that it could be possible in rare cases - especially when on it long term.

I will look into cymbalta, that is one I have not tried yet - as long as it does not cause ED, then I'm willing to give it a shot!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

My son is also having allergic reactions to most antibiotics they put him on....he just spent the night in the hospital last weekend after a Keflex RX for the current MRSA abcess on his leg. He had an allergic reaction to it, and I know he's taken it before as a child and was fine....I'm beginning to think the MRSA has some reaction with the antibiotics and the body chemistry. This has been very hard for my son to manage as he is a firefighter and is currently in "Smoke Jumper" training school.

Closed Thread