It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
(male)

dbrock HB Userdbrock HB User
Gratitude list helps me stay clean

I'm 11 months clean now going on a year and I'm truly blessed.

Today I'm grateful for:

1 God
2 Fellowship of AA/NA
3 Prayer and meditation
4 My mother also in recovery
5 Beautiful sister and nephew
6 Health
7 Sobriety
8 The people God (my higher power) put into my life
9 This addiction and recovery board to help others
10 Serenity and sound of mind
11 My sponsor
12 A great network of people in the program that are true friends

I think it would be good for people to post here the things they are grateful for...They say a grateful heart won't use..Some days when I'm down I find it hard to be grateful for anything so I force myself to do these lists..So that's part of my program and also good self affirmations in the mirror

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-11-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User
Re: Gratitude list helps me stay clean

that is such a good idea dbrock! I love positive things on here that make people feel good. all too often we have "sad" stories to tell and bad things to talk about. Thanks for your insight

and I know one thing for sure, when I finally get through being on pain pills, I am going to rename myself Oxyfree!!! If the site will approve it. But I do not look like Billy Mayes, God rest his soul.

Dbrock I am currently tapering down from 4 roxicodone 30s a day to 2.5 to 3. It has been a rough week for me as my leg has been really painful. I had knee surgery about 6 weeks ago and really it should be feeling better by now but I have twisted it or something and a few days I did take 4 and felt like I was on a binge!! Those drugs mess with the mind bigtime

The Following User Says Thank You to oxygirl For This Useful Post:
dbrock (04-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

Good idea... the mind is so powerful and has the ability to affect how we physically feel. The list is a good way to maintain positive balance. I go over my blessings in my head when Im struggling, but putting them down in writing seems a good idea...

And I cant wait to see Oxyfree posts! Until then, keep at it, and go your own pace OG.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

thanks second go. I know i should be down a little lower but man i have a stressful life! I can't take pain and stress at the same time. But i am still within normal limits I guess. lol and under the docs orders so it isn't like i am just popping them and paying 20 dollars a piece for them. but still addiction is addiction. the mind is powerful and i am determined to get my life to where i want it. i know u can do the same. I am sorry to hear about ur fatigue and energy issues. I know it is a struggle just to get through normal everyday things. Just sit back and take notes on what is and isn't important. also second go, as young as u are, if something is making u unhappy then change it. you have no kids that depend on you. do something to make your life work for u!! go back to school, get a new career, move to a different area, whatever it takes. because these are your productive years and it is now or never although i never say never...lol

Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
(male)

dbrock HB Userdbrock HB User

I wish you all the best of luck!! I just got back from a great topic meeting, it was on choices. Today I actually have choices.

When I came into recovery I was suicidal, my choices were to drink and drug or kill myself, that's how much emotional pain I was in. If anyone reading this is at this point, there is one more choice it just doesn't probably feel possible.It is 100%

Surrender and ask for help! Look up local meetings, detoxes, programs and pray.I didn't have a higher power when I came around but I took suggestions and prayed ( not knowing who I was praying too ), grew up watching my mother slowly kill herself by drinking and my father committed suicide leaving me spiritually bankrupt, soulless combining that with drinking and drugging. You can get better and help others get better. I'm grateful for:

God
This board
Ability to share my experience strength and hope with others (commitments)
Fellowship of AA/NA
Choices
Sound of mind
Serenity
Hope
My mother being in recovery as well
Real friends
Today I love myself
And today I'm willing to go to any length for my sobriety

Love you all

-Derick

The following user gives a hug of support to dbrock:
oxygirl (04-12-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to dbrock For This Useful Post:
second go (04-12-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello dbrock,

Call me sentimental but I feel that this thread bears repeating.

Too many instances in life arise and if the focus isn't kept on what really matters,the "doorway to doom" can easily be re-opened.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 07-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
Smile Re: Gratitude list helps me stay clean

Hi Dbrock, I just have to say how proud I am of you and all you have accomplished with God, sponsor, friends and good choices. I think what you said about loving yourself is so important and with all you had to emotionally go through, I know that gratitude for all the people who have come into my life to be the hands and feet of God has helped me love myself as well and then I can give love to others. You can't give what you don't have inside. Emotional pain and hurt can cause us to numb our pain and hurts and isolate ourselves from others. That is the worst lonliness and pain to be all by yourself trying to get out of the pit and no one is around to help. Thank God you found the light and hope and are living again. I know you will be such an inspiration and encouragement to many on these boards. Best wishes to you my friend.

Closed Thread