It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
(female)

Tryin 4 help HB UserTryin 4 help HB User
Suboxone Question...Sleepiness

I started Suboxone today. My doctor said I can take 8 of the 2 mg tablets a day. I've taken 6 today but not sure that I needed that many. I've been fighting sleepiness all afternoon. Is this a normal side effect? Should it subside as I adjust? Or could it be an indication that I don't need that many?
Thanks for any input,
Angela

Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

corissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB User
Re: Suboxone Question...Sleepiness

First off, you should keep your posts together because starting a new thread regarding the same issue gets confusion real fast. Also, you will receive a wide array of responses because you are posting numerous threads on the same issue.

Only you can answer your most recent questions on this thread. Yes, symptoms will subside as you adjust but no one can answer whether or not you need more or less than 6..... that's for you and your doctor.

Suboxone isn't to be taken lightly, and to be completely honest with you, from reading your other post(s) I don't think you are ready to quit. The best advice I can give you is even if you fail... don't beat yourself up about it.... pick up the pieces and try again. Not everyone does it their first go. Remember you are human as we all are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
(female)

Corissa,
Thanks for responding! I have been somewhat discouraged because of lack of responses..... I posted the second question about the sleepiness because I never saw it show up and thought maybe I put it in the wrong place.

Your post seemed a bit negative...no offense! Can I ask why you feel that I am not ready to quit? I'm just wondering what I said that makes you think that? I have been searching and asking people for advice....I have been to counseling once, but intend to go again at my next appt. I have tried to taper and tried cold turkey...no success.
Any input is appreciated!
Angela

The following user gives a hug of support to Tryin 4 help:
heather416 (09-04-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

corissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryin 4 help View Post
Corissa,
Thanks for responding! I have been somewhat discouraged because of lack of responses..... I posted the second question about the sleepiness because I never saw it show up and thought maybe I put it in the wrong place.

Your post seemed a bit negative...no offense! Can I ask why you feel that I am not ready to quit? I'm just wondering what I said that makes you think that? I have been searching and asking people for advice....I have been to counseling once, but intend to go again at my next appt. I have tried to taper and tried cold turkey...no success.
Any input is appreciated!
Angela

If you think my POST was negative and it somehow bothered you, you don't stand a chance if your friends and family find out!
I will apologize to you however that was not my intention. I am not here wanting to hurt anyone (knowingly or willingly).

You seem VERY REAL to me...by that I mean I am blunt because it seemed deserving. Some people post things that are half truths just so they can communicate. I ALWAYS say the first thing that come to mind. Its a blessing and a curse but it's consistent.

Welcome to the board....... it's not my board (obviously) but it is OUR board.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
(female)

I wasn't asking for an apology....I was asking for your input on why you think I am not ready to quit. I thought maybe something I said gave you that impression, and I just wanted to know what I said that made you think that. I wasn't bothered by your post at all.

Most of my family and most of my friends do know that I have a pill addiction. And, it causes me much shame and I want to do something about it. That's why I got on here...to get help and encouragement.

heather416 (09-04-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
(female)

Corissa,
Did I **** you off? I sure didn't mean to......I am really curious as to why you came to the conclusion that I am not ready to quit. So sorry if i came off the wrong way....
Angela

Old 07-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

No my dear (you didn't **** me off)... lol. It's rarely personal with me.

After I read your post it was in my opinion that you want to quit but that you are not ready to.... Ill quote your post from another thread that was given by you and I'll break it down.... here goes

This is my first post on here however I have been pouring through the site for some time now and have learned a lot of information. A little bit about me....I had back surgery back in Aug of 2010, however I fought having it done for a year and a half before that. So, I have been on pain meds for 2 1/2 to 3 years. I am now seeing a neurologist and do have some nerve damage, but my tolerance has gotten so high that I am on oxy 10s 4 x day. But, that still wasn't good enough for me. I've doctor shopped and bought them (USUALLY THE FIRST SIGN OF NOT BEING READY TO QUIT IS DOC SHOPPING AND BUYING THEM). I don't even recognize myself anymore. I woulda never seen myself becoming this type of person. My husband and I fight all the time about it and he is not supportive. which terribly disappointed me and sent me into an anxiety/bawling fit. Anyway, I can start tomorrow morning....I am so excited and nervous. I want my life back! I just don't think I can go cold turkey and stay off of them due to my chronic back pain and cravings(IT APPEARS HERE THAT YOU ARE ALREADY SETTING YOURSELF UP FOR FAILURE BY SAYING YOU DON'T THINK YOU CAN GO COLD TURKEY AND STAY OFF DUE TO BACK PAIN...PRE EXISTING EXCUSE TO FAIL). I am soooo hoping this works for me!!

I had to edit your original text so it would fit.... so from this point on you are going to change your tune to:

I know I can go cold turkey and stay off them even with chronic pain and having the cravings... this is natural. I am going to do it for my kids, my life and MOST importantly, MY SELF!!

Thats all I meant with my post. YOU CAN DO IT. I've heard people say "If I can do it, so can you!" I didn't believe it until I quit. Cuz...you guessed it..If I can quit...

Now, to hell with everyone else and if they aren't supportive, they can kiss your asss too! This is something that can be done and will be done by you and when you look back, you'll owe it to YOURSELF to remain drug free or free from drugs!

Im wishing there were a church near by...for some reason I feel like raising your arm in the air and running down the isle screaming we can do it, we can do it! WHOA.... too much coffee...

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
(female)

Corissa,
I sent you a message but thought i'd post on here as well. I saw on another post that you take Methadone daily...??? I'm on Day 4 of Suboxone but it's doing nothing for my pain. I am thinking about asking my doctor about Subutex or Methadone. It really is amazing....totally knocks out my cravings for pills, but I need something for pain as well.

What is your advice?
Angela

Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Oh Angela, Angela, Angela..... what am I to do with you?

I am the W R O N G person to ask about Methadone because I, like you, have pain issues that I deal with daily yet refuse to take oxys, roxys or any other oxs for that matter.

Why? Because I L O V E, Love, LOve, LOVe, LOVE LAuuuuuuuuuuuve Methadone!

If they banned Methadone everywhere except in the Amazon Jungle I would pierce my nose with a nice sized bone, grow my hair, make a good sized spear, do the toga/speedo thing, have my mom drop me at the entrance of the jungle and I would never be heard from again.

Methadone saved my life. It's what I call my "lifes deodorant" (lifes deodorant is a Chris original).... It provides me with 24 hour protection while keeping me clean!!! And, to be quite honest a tad of a buzz (shhhhhh).

It really is what works for ME. My pain is manageable on it (its actually amazing IN MY CASE) and I don't have any side effects. I have not heard of a single person who got pain relief from suboxone.

I don't plan on coming off methadone any time soon. In fact, I may just stay on it for life so that I can help future scientific efforts. I am willing to do that for people like you....

Heres the thing though.... Do not quote me on this but I don't think you can go from Suboxone to Methadone... or vice versa.... not sure which it is but check it out. It may have changed since I started on it.

Any other questions, feel free. But like i said, I dont see any negatives about methadone so I am biased for sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to corissa3 For This Useful Post:
Tryin 4 help (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
(female)

SaraRae34 HB User

Hi Angela, I would first like to say Congratulations on taking a step to be clean. I am also a recovering addict and this August will be 3 years clean for me. I read your post and want to say, give suboxone some time, nothing is a miracle drug! I have been on suboxone for for 3 years and it saved my life. The reason I have been on suboxone for so long, is I have several health problems, some I have listed in my profile, but the major one is chronic pain. Suboxone does help with pain and my pain management doctor is the one prescribing it. Now I am opposite of Corissa because I don't believe in methadone for one reason, you do get a buzz off of it, where suboxone you don't. If your serious about getting clean and don't want the "buzz" feeling then stick with suboxone. (Corissa, please take no offense to this, just giving my opinion) I was facing over 25 years in prison because of pain medication, I went from being a model, super mom, and athlete to a loser! I have overcome the odds of beating drugs and thank suboxone for giving me my life back. One of the biggest things you need to do is set your mind to it and stick with it. If you think something isn't going to work, then it won't. A big thing in recovery is thinking smart, you have to control your thoughts or it will eat you alive. I really do hope you find some peace within and find something that works for you. I have known people that got on methadone and eventually got off of it. Just make sure when you get on it, you don't feel that "buzz" feeling or you will never come off of it. Everyone is different and you have to find what works for you. We could argue all about which one is better for you, but your the only one that knows what will work for you.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

SaraRae,

Im glad it works for you and the pain. I wish it did for me also... but here's the thing. I am a drug addict. I always will be. If I can take methadone once a day and it does what it is supposed to, I won't fight it.

I don't get "high" from it but it is an opiate and opiates have a tendency to give the user a "buzz". I quit methadone once before, I was off it for 2 years.... went back to the hard stuff and decided (well, the police decided) that it was enough.

I have been on methadone only for over a year and I haven't used hard drugs since. And I never will.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corissa3 View Post
Oh Angela, Angela, Angela..... what am I to do with you?
You crack me up!!

Well, I had my counseling appt this morning. She just did a general assessment on me so not much got accomplished in my eyes. I had posted a couple days ago about my husband leaving, he came home yesterday and we decided to try some couple's counseling (along with him getting some depression medicine and proper pain control himself) and I got that figured out today....but I won't bore you with the details of my failing marriage...LOL.

After that, I stopped by my PM doctor to tell him that the Suboxone wasn't helping my pain and that I felt like it was making me more depressed and agitated and confused. He wasn't super happy about it and told me that he didn't think Subutex would be any different. He then said that he would give me methadone but that he wanted me to come back this afternoon and bring my husband....now that made me super nervous!!!! My husband and I had talked through some issues about it yesterday, but my taking pills is a touchy subject with him. Anyway, it went just fine. The doctor explained to him how important it is for him to be supportive of me and for him to help me monitor my doses. I started on my first dose of methadone tonight which I am calling Day 1. I am so sure that this is the right thing for me to do....I know this will control my back pain and help crush out my cravings!!! I just want to feel normal again!!!

Corissa, another question for you: he has given me 5 mg pills and told me to take them 4 times throughout the day. I thought you said that you only take it once a day...??? Why do you think there's a difference? I would prefer to take it once a day in the morning....

Also, if you are interested, I think I did a much better job of explaining my story on the pain management board so I have decided to copy and paste it to a new thread here on this board....just if you are interested.

Angela

heather416 (09-04-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Tryin 4 help For This Useful Post:
heather416 (09-04-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

I'm honored that you think enough of my opinion that you posted your story. Of course I am interested.

As for your medication, I believe you receive yours in pill form. I receive mine in liquid form. I take half in the morning and the other later in the day.

If you receive yours in pill form, you are lucky. I wish I did.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
(female)

I am about in tears....I got two messages from the Admin. saying that I need to stay off of this Addiction and Recovery Board because it's only "for people who want off of drugs." I do have a chronic pain issue but I also have an ADDICTION as well. I am so devasted....I thought I had found a place and some friends to share my life's problems with....guess not.

He removed my post "The story of the beginning of my addiction".....I was just sharing how I got addicted with my friends. I think he removed my first post as well....where I was asking for help with my ADDICTION and my chronic pain.

I guess I can't be on here anymore because the PM board won't accept me because I have an addiction, not just chronic pain......

Old 07-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Angela, Angela oh Angela....

Don't get all upset. You see this board is here for discussions on how to quit and stay off drugs yes... It's not really a board for personal discussions and certainly not for debates. You are new and as a "newbie" you gotta "earn your stripes" I guess you could say.

Spend some time reading the FAQ and the "rules" section so that you have a better understanding of what you can and can't say.

Some don't agree with the policies but they are there for a reason.. Many have been advised by admin when they have to refresh their knowledge of the policies... I have been reminded about 7 times.

Don't take it personally... Cheer up

Closed Thread