It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

corissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB User
My girl is addicted to fentynal? Or is she?

This is such a difficult post for me. I have been an addict of oxys, cocaine and heroin for most of my adult life.

My fiancee of 14 years had a car accident 5 years ago which required surgery to her neck to fuse the discs. The surgery was NOT a success and now no one will touch her.

We used to argue about my drug use compared to hers. I was just a druggie and she was someone legitimately in pain therefore her use of narcotics was justified. She would say "I only change the patch when I am supposed to, I don't abuse it". I would in turn say "just wait and see".

Well now the time has come. She doesn't change it every 48 hours...its down to about every 20 hours. She uses the excuse that they have fallen off, or the sweat made it come off and the doc is always giving her extras. There is some truth to them falling off cuz the new Sandoz brand is garbage if you ask me.

She sleeps 24/7. Has ZERO energy, no zest for life and it's breaking my heart to see her like this.

SHe refuses to use oxys... no to dilaudid, no to morphine etc....

At one point she would have chopped my head off if I suggested methadone but after reading up on it here, thinks it may be right for her.

IS she addicted?

Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: My girl is addicted to fentynal? Or is she?

Hello corissa,

The "rule of thumb" usually states that if a person requires more of a certain medication than prescribed,in order to achieve the same desired effect,then tolerance has built and physical dependance has occurred.

The lethargy and increased sweating are both side effects of this particular drug.

It's not something that she knowingly did but can be viewed as a consequence of long term use.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 08-05-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Pepperpot1808 HB User
Thumbs up Re: My girl is addicted to fentynal? Or is she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corissa3 View Post
This is such a difficult post for me. I have been an addict of oxys, cocaine and heroin for most of my adult life.

My fiancee of 14 years had a car accident 5 years ago which required surgery to her neck to fuse the discs. The surgery was NOT a success and now no one will touch her.

We used to argue about my drug use compared to hers. I was just a druggie and she was someone legitimately in pain therefore her use of narcotics was justified. She would say "I only change the patch when I am supposed to, I don't abuse it". I would in turn say "just wait and see".

Well now the time has come. She doesn't change it every 48 hours...its down to about every 20 hours. She uses the excuse that they have fallen off, or the sweat made it come off and the doc is always giving her extras. There is some truth to them falling off cuz the new Sandoz brand is garbage if you ask me.

She sleeps 24/7. Has ZERO energy, no zest for life and it's breaking my heart to see her like this.

At one point she would have chopped my head off if I suggested methadone but after reading up on it here, thinks it may be right for her.

IS she addicted?

There is a difference between being addicted and becoming opiate tolerant. Your girlfriend has become tolerant to the fentanyl. It's time for the two of you to visit a Chronic Pain Centre and have her assessed for a different drug that will alleviate her pain. Unfortunately, we people with chronic pain have to keep switching... we become used to a certain drug and it doesn`t work anymore.

Please give her all your support, and go to a reputable doctor who is well versed in pain medication. I wish you ALL the best.

~Nan

Last edited by Administrator; 08-21-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Pepperpot1808 HB User

Quote:

IS she addicted?
Just wanted to add: You used to use drugs to get high. She uses drugs for pain control. There IS a big difference. Ask your doctor about Methadone (in tablets, not liquid). You don't get high from Methadone (Metadol which I take (25 mg. twice a day) but it relieves your pain, gives you much more energy because you are NOT in pain, and she won't be sleeping her life away.

That's very sad. I feel for you. Just help her the best you can - AND, she wins the argument!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpot1808 View Post
Ask your doctor about Methadone (in tablets, not liquid).
Just here to support you and your girlfriend Corissa; and congrats on your continued success.

Last edited by mod85; 08-05-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Please respond to the original poster's concerns only. Thank you.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Pepperpot1808 HB User

Who picks up her Fentanyl for her? Or is that one of the rare times that she gets up out of bed? From what you're saying, she sounds addicted, not opiate-tolerant like I initially said.

She must be horribly miserable to want to sleep - a drug-induced sleep - all the time. And of course her beauty and vivacity would disappear. Don't feel bad that you are ashamed of her. You loved her when she was a person, now it sounds like she's not.

Is there any way you can make an appointment with HER doctor, without her knowledge and speak to the doctor? Now the doctor can only tell you so much (confidentiality) but perhaps you could tell the doc about how she sleeps all the time, has lost her identity, and lives for the Fentanyl. Ask the doctor what you could possibly do. They know the system far better than you or me, and can tell you what you can legally do or not. Such as having her committed to rehab (she's not a harm to anyone, but she is to herself). Can you do that?

She will hate you for it, initially, but once she is clean and remembers what it feels like, those feelings will subside. She's obviously not happy, nor are you. It's either that, or dump her which I sense you are not yet ready to do, but I think that is coming.... :-(

Please keep in touch. You're in Ont., I'm in Calgary (but am from Montreal). I think our laws are similar although they vary somewhat from province to province.

I'm thinking of you, sweetheart.

~Nan

Last edited by Administrator; 08-21-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Pepperpot1808 HB User

Corissa3 - just a quick note - I'm glad you are taking the methadone partially to get clean. That's a big step, and having your girl on Fentanyl is dragging you down. You know that better than anyone. When it comes down to it - YOUR health is more important than anyone else's....

~Nan

Old 08-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Corissa

It sounds to me like your girl is suffering from depression... the sleeping, not wanting to get up, the making of excuses about why not to get up, losing interest in things she used to enjoy (like the mall).

Fentynal is a highly, highly potent drug. In some people, it can cause depression. I wonder if that may be the case here?

When I was using Oxycodone and Xanax for pain issues, tolerance grew as expected and my doses increased over the years. I did end up in a deep clinical depression... partly from life issues, and, in a large part from the high dosages of drugs. It was then that I crossed the line from using for physical pain into using for mental pain. The more depressed I became, the more I used to knock myself out and not have to deal with the feelings of depression which were overwhelming. It was a vicious circle... the more I used; the more depressed I became, the more depressed I became, the more I used.

Perhaps your girl would allow a full examination to be done and would allow you to go with her for your support and your imput? My husband went with me when I sought help and truly his imput really was valuable in my getting the proper help with it all.

Hoping all works out
reach

Old 08-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

corissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB User

PEPPER.... I hate it when I type for an hour and then hit enter and the screen goes black and it's only then I realize I should have saved at least half the novel I had written cuz now I am too depressed to re write the darn thing and now it's only going to be a spec of it s true desired post.

In a nutshell

I take methadone for an accident I was involved in. There was $23000 damage to my 2008 Ford F-350. I was t-boned on highway 404 in richmond hill 2 years ago and came to a complete stop thanks to a tree.... The ONLY tree in the ENTIRE area and I had to hit it head on in the middle of the night.

Back to the the addiction.. she has completely lost all motivation. When it comes to her medication, its actually pathetic to see how see pretty much grovels for it to the doctor. She takes on this elderly "act" almost submissive and has her hands out and says "Well, 4 patches actually fell off but I can do with 3 of them" Its the old routine of if I act like its bad but then only ask for a little, they will believe me.... when the entire time, the doctor is not doubting her at all and it just makes her look stupid.

Last week I had to get upset with her in the office cuz the doc was in a hurry and he kept saying "Just tell me how many you need" and she kept going on with this story and he repeated "How many, how many do you need" and it was like she was in a trance and just kept on with this stupid story and then I had to say to the doc.... she needs 5!

Shes getting much worse.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Problem with this dumb doc is he is also my dumb doc... we get marcaine injections every wednesday and have for the past 14 months.

He's not as bad as he sounds but he is one doc I'd hate to see if looking for sympathy. He is fresh outta med school and paying his loan back is tops on his list. If there were a revolving door to his office, it would not stop spinning.

He's not one for small talk that's for sure. Our doc is pushing for her to go on methadone. We've gone to one "methadone for pain doc" but that didn't turn out favorably. He said he wouldn't put her on it until he is certain another surgery is out of the question because they don't do surgery on methadone patients???

Last edited by corissa3; 08-06-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Hi, I am a chronic painer and have been on the fentanyl patch for a very long time. Unless she is using more than one patch at a time, she really isn't getting more of the fentanyl by changing her patch every 20 hours. The patch doesn't work that way. They did a study showing that there is no benefit when patients changed their patches every day vs. 48 hours. So by doing that she is not getting more of the med unless she wears more than one patch at a time. Now, she may think she is but nope!

Hope that helps.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Plain and simple,her physical needs are beginning to have a psychological component to it.

I am not stating this to curry anyone's favor but to give my honest opinion.She needs help and you are the person to show her the pathway.

If you would like me to post something that you can print out for her to read,I am prepared to go there.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 08-08-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Plain and simple,her physical needs are beginning to have a psychological component to it.

I am not stating this to curry anyone's favor but to give my honest opinion.She needs help and you are the person to show her the pathway.

If you would like me to post something that you can print out for her to read,I am prepared to go there.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Thats very kind of you to offer and YES I will accept.

To Boxer, I didn't think her changing the patch made a difference either in the fact that it is time released. I just mentioned it to her right now the comment you made and she replied "I notice a difference, well somewhat."

I think Phoenix is correct in that it has become a psychological issue with her now and not a medicinal one.

I can no longer help her. She doesn't tell me anymore when she changes her patch.... I have to rely on her actions to know. I tried writing it down and she said "You don't want to be around me when I change it at 36 hours"... it was the same look Bruce Banner gave the audience right before he turned into the hulk....She's only 114lbs but packs a wicked left hook and when her hands are sore they resemble a talon of an eagle and with the long nails....sorry, back to her.

We see the doctor this wednesday and he has referred her to his "methadone for pain" doctor friend.

There isn't a way for me to give anymore support than I have.... I still have room for a lot more should the need arise I personally feel methadone is the way to go as I know what it has done for me.

3 months ago, my girl would have never agreed to methadone but thankfully, she's at least open to the idea. She is very proud and feels that both of us being on it would "look bad". Truthfully, I have to agree but I would never let her know that. Her health is the ONLY care I have in the world, not what anyone thinks...

It's funny because prior to meeting me 14 years ago, this worse thing this family ever did was park in a handicap spot ONCE. Whoa, how things have changed.

Last edited by corissa3; 08-08-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:06 AM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Thats very kind of you to offer and YES I will accept.

Hello [ ]

You may not know me from Adam but if you bear with me for a bit,I believe that a few things can be explained.

Being physically dependant on fentanyl will most definitely affect you psychologically.

The mind/body connection is not to be taken for granted but the body/mind component rarely is spoken of(in that order).

The physical demands of chronic pain on one's body can place undue stress on a person's psyche.

Once this happens,a person can easily become both irritated and lethargic;a recipe for potential disaster.

Relationships will suffer from it on different levels and it might not even be evident to that person because pain can alter a person's perception of things.

It's similar to saying the glass is half full(optimism)with poison(pessimism).

If you can relate to any of this,please dig deep down and find the courage to say "no more" to the insanity and "yes please" to a better quality of living.

Respectfully stated,
Phoenix

Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

Corissa, I have chatted with you a few times and have followed your posts. Do you worry ever, a seed, that her use may affect your sobriety? You've worked so hard for your one year, I just though I'd check and see that both younfeet are placed stubbornly in the ground on this one.
Wendy

Closed Thread