It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

klonpinhead HB User
Klonopin

Klonopin~ coming off of it. The Dr. is giving me neurotin for side effects. I feel so awful and look horrible. I had no idea what this drug does to you. I was on 1 1/ mg.. just took it down to 0.5mg. When and if , will I ever feel good again? Anything else help?

Last edited by mod85; 08-15-2011 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Please read all posting rules. Thank you.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Klonopin

Hello friend

Welcome to the board. Great place to post your thoughts and questions as you move along.

First thing I want to tell you is that you will come to a time when you feel better. Absolutely. I came off Xanax through a slow taper and an end finally came and I am my normal, cheerful, old self again. Actually, I first tapered from Oxycodone and then from Xanax. By far, the benzo was much, much harder.

My experience tells me you are going way too fast on the taper from the benzo Klonopin. Rule of thumb coming off a benzo is to never make more than a ten percent cut at a time. Never. It is just too much for the brain to handle. Cutting by 10% often involves not only cutting tabs,m but often even crushing them and then eyeballing out the cut needed. (Save the crumbs for use again). Once you make the cut, allow yourself @ 10 days- 2 weeks to level out again. A couple of times, I had to go to nearly three weeks, but that is okay. The goal is not to speed progress, but to make staedy progress.

I had a wonderful doctor seeing me through the tapers, but honestly, he did not truly understand what coming off a benzo coulod be like. I learned from a really bad taper start with him and then got more solid advice from the board here from those who had gone before me. Even with small cuts, the brain goes into anxiety (which I am sure you know by now!). Truthfully, it is the last mg that is the toughest and that is where you are starting from. Go easier on yourself!! When you have gotten to the tiniest portion possible through crushing and measuring, then go to every 2 days for a couple of weeks, then every 3 days for a bit and you will pretty much be able to just walk off.

If you are taking it at bedtime, try to start moving it earlier and earlier so your body does not need it to go into sleep mode. My doctor had me start using Melatonin 3 mg an hour before bedtime to help restore a sleep pattern not dependent on the benzo.

Stay in touch
reach

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
klonpinhead (08-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

klonpinhead HB User

Thank you so much. I appreciate all the help I can get. This is horrible... just horrible. I didn't want to start this med anyway.. Thank you for taking the time to write me.

The following user gives a hug of support to klonpinhead:
McBack (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
(male)

McBack HB UserMcBack HB User

Reach is absolutely spot on, and gratz to you, Reach for making it through!!!

K'head, do not make 50% cuts or you are more than likely setting yourself up for failure. Take it very slow. Just as Reach suggests, make 10% cuts at the most and only every 10 days to 2 weeks between cuts. Tranquilizers are a whole different animal, and K is one of the harder ones to taper directly from. It is not a race so there is no need to hurry.

Sadly I have a rather high level of experience in this particular area, based on both my own personal experience over the past 10 years, and from working with a team of others who have also been through it themselves, as well as having supported others through their own ventures over a period of many years. Even so, because I am new here I shall not advise you any further on a tapering schedule beyond that which has already been suggested. Instead I'll leave it to longer standing members and forum administration to advise you in this regard.

I will say this though, and this is not to belittle those making an effort to free themselves from any other substance, as no taper is easy. But in my own experiences, getting off of benzodiazapines is BY FAR the hardest thing I have ever taken on. And though it was a living hell, taking nearly over a years time to accomplish, and another several years to fully recover from, I am proud to say I made it through. I shall never voluntarily take another tranquilizer for as long as I live and breath.

I do not say all this to scare you, but rather to better prepare you. It can be done, and I have no doubt you will make it through, but everyone's experiences are different. I have witnessed those who breezed through it and others who had it worse than myself, so just know it may very well be a lengthy process that could test your will and determination.

Do yourself a favor...having made such a large cut already, if you start too feel as though you are not going to be able to cope, go back to your regular dose and do the 10% cut every 2 weeks method, this will make life a whole lat easier and increase your chances of success significantly.

Also, avoid anything that will exasperate your angst during the process, such as coffee (yeah, I know), alcohol, even caffeine based sodas, and those are just a few things which I discovered I could not tolerate during my taper, and for even a few years after.

You are making the right choice to get off of K, it and all benzos are nasty drugs to be dependent on. Wishing you a smooth and successful taper.

Mac

Last edited by McBack; 08-14-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
(female)

mundychic HB User

You may not like my answer. I've been on klonopin for 12yrs now. Who put you on such a high dose. That's awful. I'm on 4-6mgs a day and doctors do not tell you about the withdrawal at all. There is actually a disorder with benzo withdrarwl that can take some people up to 5 yrs to get it completely out of there system. I went off of it for 8 months and the withdrawl never got better. I have had to go off many things in the past but klonopin is by far the hardest.
You can look up benzo withdrawl on-line. I found about 4 doctors that specialize in helping people cope w/it. I have also tried neroutin and had serious side effects. I felt like my tongue was swelling and it was difficult to breathe. It also made me completely retarded. I was a mess. Never again.. Have you looked into any rehabs. It may make withdrawl a little better. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to go off of this drug. It's terrifying. I know how you feel. I guess all you can do is wait for it to leave your system. The normal period is about 3-4 months.. Let me know how it is going...

Old 08-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

Ive experimented with these, we call em Rivies here; I just want to agree that a slow taper is important. Jumping off benzos can cause dangerous/life-threatening seizures if not monitored properly. But best of luck to you though as you seem to be ready to tackle it...

The Following User Says Thank You to second go For This Useful Post:
klonpinhead (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
(female)

klonpinhead HB User

I MUSt of posted the wrong amount I was on 1 1/2mg of klonopin.. The Dr. said maybe two months?? How do you find a rehab?

Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by klonpinhead View Post
How do you find a rehab?
Depending where you live, AXIS can direct you to an appropriate facility for you. Its kind of like a hub for referals. Theres a number at the top of these pages

Old 08-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
(female)

klonpinhead HB User

OH Thank you Veteran. I refuse to let this take over me anymore. I have a family that needs me. I only started this to help me sleep.?? I am a R.N. and asked the Dr. if it will be okay and I won't be addicted..etc. She gave it to me and said it was a low dose. Yeah, maybe low dose but dependency.... The Dr. I am seeing now says it is not an addiction but I need to be weaned off. I still think it is an addiction but I never increased the dose.. I kept refusing to increase when she wanted me too. The highest I went was 1 and half mg. Which is too much... I am scared I will need to be inpatient. Did you take anything for withdrawals... or did someone in your family have the problem? I am so tired of the chemical these Dr.'s throw at us... really... there is a time and place for this.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klonpinhead View Post
Did you take anything for withdrawals...
well I wasnt using them regularly (maybe a 2mg a couple times a week for a short duration of time), but in detox the doctor still wanted me to taper, so it was 1mg, 1mg, .5mg, .5mg over the first 4 days then I was off them

Closed Thread