It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
(male)

lusik HB User
Thumbs up Suboxone Taper Program that worked for me

Hello everyone I am one of the longtime readers, first post.

This is a no-nonsense and simple taper program for suboxone that really worked for me.

I have been addicted to opiates for several years, ever since I had a hip surgery in 2006. About a year ago I went on Suboxone. I am a recovering alcoholic/addict. I Also suffer from chronic pain and Suboxone does kill pain.

My experience with Suboxone.

I asked my doctor for a Suboxone 2mg film strip script. I told him I want off and here is my plan. I was on the 8mg, started at 8mg daily.
First get a calendar you can write on daily. Have a razor blade or small scissors to cut the strips. One 14 day med dispenser or 2- 7 day. That's all you need.
After I switched to Suboxone my body was still in an equally addicted state, I know this because I tried to cold turkey off 4 mg daily suboxone dose. I felt just as sick as if I had stopped opiates.
Also Suboxone taper will not help Benzo addiction, consult your Dr. Benzo addiction will need to be separate, I did that after I was off suboxone a couple months.
On the positive side. When on suboxone I did not have the daily ups and downs, I was able to sleep and I no longer was preoccupied with running out of meds. ( a big one for me )

After many weeks of trial, error, pain, sleepless nights and research.

I found what works to get off suboxone.
The best way was 10% reduction every 2 weeks. (Due to the long half-life) The 2 mg film works best for this as you can measure and cut off as little as 1/4 mg. I would cut my 2 weeks in advance and put them in 2 plastic flip top day med dispensers. I stopped when I was down to 1/4 mg a day.
I now Keep 1/4 mg pieces for cravings and never take it 2 days in a row and always wait 3 or more days before I take any more. The 1/4 is only emergency for when I crave opiates and am thinking about going back to opiates. Some people stay on Suboxone permanently as it is better than going back to opiates for them.

A recovery program is essential either NA, AA your church or other for support. I may not be able to stay sober with out support.

With this taper program you need patience as it will take sometime depending on your daily dose. Keep a record on a calendar as you can see your progress, reward yourself with a movie, ice cream, dinner out ect. every time you decrease %10 and had stuck with the taper schedule. Do not rush I cannot stress enough there is no hurry and you will be opiate addictive free before you know it. This is a very pain free way to stop Suboxone. But you may have some emotional issues and that's were your support comes in.

This is one of the biggest changes you will make in your entire life.
Even you can have freedom from opiates and a whole new life.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: lusik
bradswifey (11-13-2011), heather416 (09-04-2011)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lusik For This Useful Post:
bradswifey (11-13-2011), heather416 (09-04-2011), sfnative (09-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
(female)

heather416 HB Userheather416 HB User
Re: Suboxone Taper Program that worked for me

Thank you for your post! I'm an opiate addict and i've been considering trying to go to suboxone to quit... sick of this life n withdrawls n i think subox is a real option for me!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User
Re: Suboxone Taper Program that worked for me

MM77,

Anyway do you have a jump date or playing it by ear. I'm trying to get to a speck, then jump in the next couple of weeks.

To A, suboxone does help people with pain, did nothing for me at all except trade addictions to something that didn't work. so if I want to go spend thousands of $$$ and have all the tests repeated, which I'm still paying off, I can go back to PM, but want of subs first to see where I really stand, then will decide. All I know for sure is I WILL NEVER GO ON SUBOXONE AGAIN, EVER, worst mistake I ever made. To anyone considering subs PLEASE research the drug. For some it does wonders, so good luck to all, whatever you decide to do.

Peace

Gracie

Last edited by moderator2; 04-11-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Closed Thread