It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Time to quit pain meds but how to deal with pain without

Hi Spaz

Like second go, I often starting having withdrawal symptoms as few as four hours after I had last taken tabs. I even began to wake up at night needing a dose.

In my experience, I really, really needed my husband by my side for support and help... and I did a strict taper, not a cold turkey. He helped by taking me for drives when the withdrawal was intense to help distract me, comforted me when I was reduced to tears, and just generally supported me through the struggle.

I also had the pains in bones and muscles in withdrawal as the brain sent out those search parties looking for any and all remnants of the drug. When I finally finished, I can honestly say that while I still had pain, it was no worse than the pain I had while on the pills. This ios actually fairly common. Even while on the pills ( for over 10 years), I would experience greater pain when the body wwanted the dosages upped. And up they went.

If you can take time through FMLA, then I would go for at least two weeks and see what happens. It is an exhausting process and you may want some time to recoup.

Last thought... why do this alone? Why not do this in the comfort of your own home, your own bed and the support of your wife? I am sure you would want to be there for her.

Keep us posted.
Hugs
reach

Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

yeah, I wouldnt recommend cold turkey at your current amount (although it works for some). I was just giving you a look at what I went through when I stopped the first time. Cold turkey probably yields the most difficult time to endure.

I was kinda showing you the worse case scenario...? I agree that you should taper down slowly before quitting, especially since you have other pain to sort out. I tapered the second time, and it was less difficult to quit.

Oh and I agree about having a strong companion/friend/family member support you through it, but not enable. Its a fine line they have to walk... if they're too overbearing we get defensive and oppositional towards them (remember were in pain and irritable). But if they are not strong enough then they will give in to our B.S. and it wont help. Most people do well with someone just being there and not judging us while we get through what is a very intense time. My gf almost walked out on me several times cause she didnt understand why it took me soo long to get my head right.

Sometimes we have to tell them that they may not understand our world, and for them to be patient, without over-explaining ourselves to them.

Last edited by second go; 09-07-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #18
(male)

Spaz50 HB UserSpaz50 HB User

Unofficially I have begun tapering. I took only 20 MG codone yesterday and 40 mgs contin. I have no doubt I am making the most common mistakes a person can make. Non committal, unstructured etc. The reason I wanted to do alone is , I have no doubt I will not be pleasant to be around. Not to mention undignified and I am a quiet type that doesn'T have alot to say about anything. My wife asked me same question about doing alone and told me she really would like to be with me. Guess I just want to disappear and come back clean and her not see or share this with me. Don't want to have to talk to anyone, or explain how I feel or hide my pain. She see's the change in my personality over the years being on pills. I manage to work long hours at times and provide the bread and butter, but at home after all day working I have little left to do the things I need to do at home. Not to mention my irritability and lack of personality. If I was alone I may not bother to get off meds. But I love my wife so much, and with her and God watching I have to do this. I don't want to fail. Don't want to fail my wife by continuing pills and don"t want to fail God by not having the faith in him to heal me and give me relief. How can I claim to have faith in God, and yet try handle my pain without him. I look back and I failed my girls, who are now 18 and 20. Have spent 10 years , most important 10 years of thier life in a fog. Never really feeling like doing anything. And my wife, hasn't seen the man she married for many years. So I have so many reasons to do this, and only 1 reason not to.
Thank you all for your support. I will taper for a couple weeks and then disappear for a week. Can't afford 2 weeks with no pay. Will see how a week
works out. I Don't mind saying I am scared of failure. and also fear not having
a crutch. The pills. I believe in the Holy Spirit, and in the gifts we recieve from him. God heals people every day, and I pray he heals all of you who ask him for his help. You are a wonderful bunch of friends in offering your support for me, a stranger. Thank you so much!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

When you refer to doing this "alone" and disappearing for a while, can I ask are you actually physically leaving your home, wife and friends? If so, please think about how your doing this. Although tapering at home is not the preferred method for someone on the dose you are, actually "leaving" your life, won't make it any easier. You'll need the support of your wife, more than you realize....as opposed to hurting her, you'll need her strength to draw from. And I'm sure as she loves you, she does not want you to do this alone. Actually leaving and her not knowing how you are, where you are, this would be more cruel and hurtful to her than, letting her see you at your weakest.

God is good, and he gives us strength and he can heal anyone of us at anytime...he also puts challenges in our lives, he states very clearly that he's not hear to make everything easy, free will took care of that many, many years ago. Not only can God heal us, but he also gave the knowledge of treatment and caring to doctors, so that they can help us get through these trials. Just because you use meds and docs to deal with and treat your pain, does not mean you've given up your hope in God's love and trust....he's with you 24/7.

Please just consider the course your taking...it's very dangerous, and your wife and kids will be none the better being without you, in whatever capacity. Sobriety, dependence, addiction....these are not things that can be beat singularly and alone....it take support, care, people.....

I'll keep you in my prayers and hope that your doing okay.

kat

Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
(male)

Last thing I want to do is hurt my wife, or put her thru any more pain. Yes, My plan is, or was to go to my childhood home. My mother died a couple years ago and we still have the estate. My wife would know where I am.
It is about 6 hours away so yes, I would be away from my life here. For a week at most. To many people come and go at our house right now. 2 yapping little dogs, lol. Not sure I can handle that while detoxing.
I would never just disappear without her knowing where I am going. I am at work now, and have taken 20 mgs of codone at 12 noon. I am feeling pretty lousy. have a splitting headache, nausea, and just ache. pretty shaky too. Will try to only take 20 mg contin this evening. May hold this dose for a few days and try to continue working till I can stop completely. Maybe, as I said, in a week or 2 be at a level where detox won't be to bad. Total detox that is as I guess I am detoxing now. Thank you Kat. Am not sure exactly how I will do this, but will take your advise to heart. Just thought isolation and peace and quiet might be MY best bet. I have alot of thinking and praying to do.
Tony..

Old 09-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #21
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Tony,

Please know that your not alone....there are many people here, including myself, who while not right there with you, are here for you and will help in any way we can. Your trying to do a positive and great thing for yourself, your wife and the children you love, there is no shame in that, ever.

Maybe you and your wife could go to your mom's home for a while, get away from the noise and craziness, so you can focus on what your doing? It's just so unpredictable when your detoxing....never good to be completely alone. I worry for you, *smile* i'm a worrywart by nature.

I sincerely pray that things get better for you and you find a path through this storm....and I have faith that you will.

Take care,

kat

Old 09-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Tony

Kat is right... whatever your choice, we will be here for you. :-)

Please take the time to read carefully the second thread on this board titled, "Sample Home Detox." It is really helpful in some of the products you will need and good advice.

I think you are smart to do some tapering down first. It will help to some degree.

Good Luck
Keep the Faith
reach

Old 09-09-2011, 04:49 AM   #23
(male)

jack36 HB User

Hey Tony....I'm a fellow follower of Jesus. I'll be praying for you brother. I have been down this road over the years.

You are right. Asking the Holy Spirit for direction, and having fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, agree in prayer.

If I can be of help, please don't hesitate to ask.

God bless, friend!

Jack

The Following User Says Thank You to jack36 For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #24
(female)

Hopingforbetter HB User

You CAN do this if you plan properly. I am almost 3 weeks off detoxing from 240 mg/day oxycontin. I did this at home but under a doctor's supervision. He prescribed a variety of meds to help with the withdrawal symptoms. The hardest part has been horrible insomnia (3 hours sleep a night at best for 2 weeks), but this is slowly improving. Also a nightmare was the rushing anxiety/adrenaline despite being on a clonidine patch and taking a barbituate. Didn't have any nausa/vomiting. The clonidine patch is critical. It controls your blood pressure and ability to regulate your temperature. The hardest problem right now is manging my chronic back pain (which is more fierce than ever). In fact, I have so much muscle tension from lying around these past 2 weeks that my entire back is in spasm. Doctor just prescribed some valium (short term) to help me through this. Trying to be more active but it's tough. Body is deconditioned and weakened. Still, I am fully committed to this. Been through the worst. I had horrible side effects from the narcotics. My colon essentially shut down. I was tired all the time. Despite this, I managed to work full-time from home through the past 8 years while on these meds. I recommend getting away from all stressors for 2 weeks. Have someone available to check in on you and help. My only responsibility was walking the dog for 20 min a day and even that was a challenge. If you have any history of addiction, you should consider an inpatient program. My dr felt confident I could do this on my own. Why didn't I taper down slowly. Two reasons. I felt that I would not stick too the schedule. Too many excuses. I can't sleep because of pain, better take another dose. Have to go to an event and sit, better take another dose. Also, I was freaked out about my colon shutting down (it is slowly coming back to life but not normal yet). Only you can decide how and when to get off of pain meds. For years I told myself that this was the only way I could be semi-functional. I am less than physically semi-functional now, but will have to work hard to strengthen my core and body. It will take time and patience. Best of luck to you. Let me know if I can help in any way

Old 09-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #25
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz50 View Post
Not to mention my irritability and lack of personality..... Never really feeling like doing anything. And my wife, hasn't seen the man she married for many years. So I have so many reasons to do this, and only 1 reason not to.
I remember this feeling vividly, and yes, your enthusiasm for family and life will return. Actually, its still there underneath, its just that substance dependency takes front seat in priority over Everything else, once thats out of the way, your able to prioritize other things/people. I remember thinking that it wouldnt-that i was too far gone. The mind has incredible way of healing.

I wish you luck, and remember if for some reason you slip up, dont be hard on yourself...just keep at it and try again. Post here if you have web connection at the house, it helps to process, and you may find solutions along the way with help from others.

Last edited by second go; 09-09-2011 at 12:33 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to second go For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #26
(male)

Well, It is Monday morning. Back to work and feeling pretty good. Last dose was at 6 pm yesterday. Pretty good dose though.40 mg contin. Saturday morning about 3:00 am I woke up and believe I had every symptom of withdrawal. Laid there for 2 hours with what I assume was restless leg.wow, name doesn't seem to describe it well. In addition the shooting pains that made no sense. Mid thigh like a knife going in. I guess could be part sciatic nerve pain but don"t think so. Finally got up at 5 am and took
20 mg oxycontin. Definately suffering from insomnia. Still tapering so trying to keep wd's from being debilitating. Seems like weeks since I started. Have gone from 60 to 80 mgs oxycodone a day to 25. And from 20 to 40 mgs oxycontin a day to 0 to 20 mgs. Oh, and the constant headache, which I didn't have 3 minutes ago and just hit me. So feeling pretty good may not last long this a.m. . Will try to go to 20 Mgs codone today. Will find out if way to quick , as I did this weekend, and take just enough to be able to funtion till next week. Then I guess I'll TRY to flush about 100 oxycontin down toilet and deal with the full wd's. That will be the true test. Definately couldn't do right now. Not and be standing here waiting for a machine to break down . Very worried about being able to dispose of pills. I will be out of oxycodone in a few days, Have 95 mgs left. 9.5 pills. always have oxycontin to tide me through although I beleieve it is time for refill as I did not run out early with the tapering at end of month. So will have to resist that urge to get refill and taper for another month. Would be an excuse to continue using.
Although I have tapered pretty quickly. This must be where the support and encouragement kicks in.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #27
(male)

Seems like weeks, has been 9 days. 10 since first post here, then started tapering next day unofficially. It all unofficial since I have not followed a planned 10% taper per week etc. Looks like maybe will be 100% taper in just over 2 weeks if I can do it the way I want to. After the experience of Saturday a.m. I am a little more concerned about the wd's. Very miserable
is an understatement. But the tapering is pretty miserable too. At least at the rate I am going. So I need to get it over with ASAP.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #28
(male)

jack36 HB User

Good morning, Tony. I certainly understand wanting to "get it over with", but I can tell you from personal experience while I did this several times, the pain led me back to "thinking" I needed to continue with the meds. Not saying it can't be done, but it's very tough, my friend.

If you've been in prayer on this, and asked the Lord to help you...I will be in agreement, and join with you. God is always faithful. He was the only one that could stop a 3 pack a day cig habit. That was 15 yrs ago, and it was done over a month's time, using nicorette gum, but HE took the, urge away....so if this is the route you need to go, giddy up....

Let me know, I'm home today, sick with penomina. I'll be glad to pray for this.

Blesssings, brother.

Jack

Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #29
(male)

Thank you Jack. I pray that you too will get well soon. Yes, I was in church yesterday and went to altar. I know that I cannot do this alone, and the pain is going to be a big problem. I will do what I have to do to not take
these meds. May have to change my line of work or worse. But at least I will have a clear mind, not fogged up with opioids. Maybe alot of the pain is the meds and the way I take them. May be in constant daily withdrawal. when not in withdrawal I'm medicated and numb. Will know very soon what the case is, and will no very soon if I have been fooling myself since surgury.
Since healing from surgury 3 years ago, its possible the pain won' be that bad.
I hope that the pain is the withdrawal that I have felt several times I have stopped taking the meds and not the chronic pain. I'm sure it has to be both. May be a tolerable level of pain now. Thank you again and would be blessed to have you pray with and for me.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #30
Inactive
(female)

Hey Tony,

Glad to hear from you and see that your okay. Your doing incredibly hard work and doing it very well. Honestly, most folks aren't able to do this as quick as you have with such a small showing of symptoms.....you are a very strong individual that is apparent.

I also will continue to pray for you and that you get the wisdom and strength you need from God and his love.

Stay in touch and let us know how things are going this week.

kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (09-13-2011)
Closed Thread