It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #46
(male)

Spaz50 HB UserSpaz50 HB User
Re: Time to quit pain meds but how to deal with pain without

I took last dose 24 hours ago now. Still have not disposed of remainder oxycontin. Want to, but haven't. Its in my safe. Head is busting, and I am sweating. Joints are starting to hurt and generally feel like I have the flu. Had planned on a dose today but really don't see the purpose. Why delay this experience any longer. Craving is pretty strong to take a dose. as part of tapering of course. I took 0 oxycodone yesterday, and 40mg oxycontin. So I could take 20 for a few days. Really don't want to prolong feeling like this any longer even if I do have an excuse. I am burning up. Stomach bothers me but I have had those issues for years due to the pills. Well, I will update when something changes. Don't think that will be to long.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #47
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Spaz

Hang in Buddy. We are with you here.

It will be a rough few days, but you will come out of this fine. Promise. Try to distract yourself with mindless things... I used to play a lot of solitaire on the computer. Also took quite a few hot baths a day to ease the aches and pains. Did I ever tell you about pasting a fake smile on your face? It honestly helps. Just force it there and a few moments of peace will come.

The headache... I had like a year long headcahe while tapering. Crummy. Try some aspirin for some relief. Stay hydrated.

Keep posting, spaz. The board was truly my lifeline.

In my thoughts
reach

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (09-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #48
(male)

It is about time to get to bed. 31 hrs and counting. Still have the terrible headache and aches. No worse really than after 24 hours. No better for sure.
Have managed to resist the urge to take a dose. So hopefully will dispose of
remaining pills tomorrow. Will try to work, but don't think I will be able too. Should wake feeling much worse, if I can sleep. Goodnight.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #49
(male)

What a night,
What is this twisting almost tickle feeling through my core. Is that the restless leg? Kept me up all night. Makes you just shake to get rid of that tickle feeling.
Anyway, maybe slept 2 hours. Not at work. Head is hurting but not as bad as yesterday. Stomach is worse. severe cramping. Body is cracking and popping, and aching. So am ready to dispose of pills. No way am I going to waste the past 41 hours and do this again. So almost thru day 2 or 48 hours since last pill.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #50
(male)

52 hours
Stomach is a mess, headache is killing me. Shaky and hurting quite a bit more. Not really in the places where my chronic back problems would be the cause. So that is good. Have tried to sleep couple times but there is no way. Can't even close my eyes for 5 minutes. That tingle through my sternum to my spine,almost a tickle, is enough to drive me crazy. Not sure what to do about that. I do have melatonin. didn't help last night but maybe tonight. I am writing this for the next person and also for myself. It helps. Maybe those out there in my place less than 2 weeks ago (taking 80 to 100 mgs a day) will see that while being pretty miserable, it is doable. I am far from past the worst, if 3rd and 4th days are to be worst. barely past day 2 now. I want this to be over.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #51
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Tony, your doing great, you really are. The tingling and feeling like your going to crawl out of your body is the restless leg part, but with WD's its more like restless body. You can also take Valerian Root with the Melatonin to help with sleep, it's an herbal supplement and can be found at any drugstore. You can take Imodium if the diarrhea gets too bad, and an anti-gas med for the cramping. Advil up to 1200mgs a day (divided throughout the day) will help with the aches and pains. Some people also use NyQuil to help sleep, I always stuck with the herbals because I'm allergic to alcohol and that's alot of what is in NyQuil. Magnesium is good for muscle pain. Soaking in a hot bath as hot as you can stand it will help settle down the restless body stuff.

The way I did it was I'd take my sleep meds, then run a scalding hot bath and just soak in it until it cooled off, by then the sleep meds were kicking in and I'd go straight to bed, with my body still partially numb from the hot water.

Remember stay hydrated, lots of water, Gatorade, juice. The Gatorade can make the loose bowels worse from all the sugar and such it has in it, so if you notice that happening, stop drinking it. Try to make sure and eat, small things all throughout the day, as you probably don't want to sit down and have a full meal. Bananas are good, lots of potassium, those campbell drinkable soups are good, peanut butter and celery has a lot of good protein in it...stuff like that....just nibble throughout the day as you can.

This is all I can think of at the moment, if something else pops up I'll do another post.

Hang in there Tony, you can do this, you are so close to being over the hump...so close.

Yell if you need to talk,

My prayers are with your as always,

kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (09-20-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #52
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

yeah the tingling sensation will keep you awake. It was the frustrating part for me also. Hot baths like Katlin said, just soak in it for as long as you want.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #53
(male)

About to go get in shower. And try to ease this tingling . Not doing to bad
But for this insomnia due to that sensation. Still have headache and sweats occasionally
Have got to sleep though. This could cause insanity. Want to reach through bottom of sternum where that tickle crawley feeling is. How long does this last?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #54
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz50 View Post
About to go get in shower. And try to ease this tingling . Not doing to bad
But for this insomnia due to that sensation. Still have headache and sweats occasionally
Have got to sleep though. This could cause insanity.
yeah this is what I thought too... probably everyone else whos gone through it. But as bad as it seems, the mind does get some rest when youre just laying there at night. And you kinda get so mentally tired that on the third or fourth day you kinda just conk out for an hour or two, then it gets a bit better the next day and so on (its all part of the process). Sleep aids, as others have said, might help you to get a wink in here and there too. I used melatonin and decaf camomile and/or st johns wort tea (for anxiety) before bed.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #55
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I forgot to mention another thing that worked rather well for me when I was detoxing off of Ultram....when the restless ting-lies would start in my arms or legs i would put bags of frozen peas or corn on them...not directly on the skin, wear like a light long sleeve tee....the cold and the feeling of the weight holding my limbs still would help quite a bit. Might be worth a try for you.

Kat

Old 09-22-2011, 04:02 AM   #56
(male)

Got some sleep last night. Headache is better, not gone. Starting to feel the chronic pains . The sciatic pain and the sharp pain between shoulder blades. These were cause of me being on meds. Level is not severe by any means, and could be. Irritated from laying around for 5 days. Last few hours were much better regarding the restless leg/body thing. I beleiev that was the worst part of it. That causing the insomnia to be intolerable. Headaches were bad. Diahrea was bad for 1 or2 days.. as for rest will go read back thru
This post. Was a pretty intense and somewhat foggy 5 days. Had set back on day 2 or so. Think it was monday night/tue. Morn when i was in worst of restless thing and hadn't slept. Decided to throw away all meds which I thought was only oxycontin. Turned out there was still 1.5 oxycodone (15mgs) ) left in bottle. This was at 1:30 am. 51 hours maybe into detox. Worst pt. I took the 15mgs codone and flushed the contin. Set me back to beginning. Resist this at all costs. Had i not had that unexpected 15mgs codone, i would have been ok. Somehow thought it wouldn't put me back to day 1. Wrong. Slept great and woke up like i never stopped. So restarted detox almost at square one, although right now i feel like I am through it. So i may be off a day and took the meds monday am and not tuesday at 1:30 am. EITHER WAY I MADE IT.!!!!!! If i came across a pill, a stray, which i could, i would have no problem throwing it away. Thanks to all that helped me and to anyone needing to get off meds. Get something to take edge off or don't have any pills accessable. I put off flushing pills and for sake of releif, messed up and had setback. Have no idea how i had that 15 mgs codone still in bottle.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #57
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Spaz

Wonderful story here. :-) You have done an amazing job with an extremely difficult task. Awesome. It takes a LOT of gutsiness to flush tabs... like throwing away a lifeline, huh? Once we do it, it feels great as we realize we are capable of living without them. We don't need crutches when we realize we have legs to walk on. Chuckles.

I will continue to follow your journey. It is so uplifting to see your successes and I am so glad you are posting on the board.

Stay strong, be well
reach

Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #58
(male)

Thank you reach,
Went to dr. To get release to return to work. Missed over 3 days so required.
i am glad it was. By time i got to see the Dr. I was very light headed, and dizzy
Pulse rate was 138. So I am not quite threw this. Only suffered 24 hours of
severe stomach issue, and 2 nights of the crawling skin. Well 2 nights twice with set
Back mentioned. As of right now besides being so shaky and weak from pulse rate I feel
pretty good. I am beginning to feel the pain coming back. Sciatic nerve and neck
down into middle back. Original complaints from 8 years ago or 10. Will see how bad that gets and go from there. I can say, I will never get back on these pills. Feeling alot of anxiety over what comes next if pain gets to bad, but will deal with it when it comes. Monday, back to work so that will tell alot.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #59
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there, Spaz

"Sciatic nerve and neck
down into middle back. Original complaints from 8 years ago or 10. Will see how bad that gets and go from there. I can say, I will never get back on these pills
"

Spaz, I think this is a good time to start with some "old time" remedies and see what happens. Ice packs, heat, aspirin, rest. See what can help find some relirf, you know? It kind of shocked me when I found aspirin was pretty powerful. At this pont, I can honestly feel it working to reduce some degree of pain... much more than it ever did when I was on Oxycodone. Once we are totally clean, it seems to become a more powerful agenty again.

I know, also, that when I was on the pain meds, I stopped doing any of the things like ice, rest, etc. Now I do them a lot. Of course, being retired allows me more time to do these things and to rest also. When I was working, I was always taking pain meds to try and keep going. It was a vicious circle I will not ever run again.

Anyway, back to you. :-) I understand the anxiety about what comes next. I would tell you to stop worrying, but I know I was terribly anxious about it. We can only wait and see what bridges you may or may not have to cross when the time comes. I think that is one of the bigger things I learned in my own journey.... cross the bridge when it shows up and don't waste time looking for it. :-)

Have a good night
reach

Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #60
(male)

Well, That is the plan then.
Will take all things a day at a time. I am really surprised at the lack of craving a pill.Really just don't think about it or don"t allow myself knowing it will be back
to square one. Wd's are a great deterrent so I am not so sure getting something to make it easy is a good idea. Called pain clinic on my worst day to see if they could call in suboxon and they had to see me in office. Was no way I was going into the office where I have been going to get the pills script for
6 of the years. wasn't happening.
So, not even sure how many hours its been or days since last dose.4 or 5 since the setback, and almost 6 days with only the 15 mgs oxycodone. I have an annoying headache, not terrible and I am weak. Irritable without a doubt. Other than that I am feeling OK. Didn't work out trying to rush it and get back to work. Could have been dangerous if had been at work and doing strenuous work when pulse rate shot up to 138. So looks like a week is a minimum amount of time in my case. I guess that was my plan from beginning. A week away. Just was surprised I felt as good as did Thursday
morning after some sleep. Lesson learned. Thanks Reach, Kat and Second and Jack. Had I not found this site, and been guided by all of you I would have failed. Thanks to Chuck too. Will update for a while till I see how I deal with pain and feel my body and brain recover from the long term use of meds. Very curious as to what life without pills is like.

Closed Thread