It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #61
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User
Re: Time to quit pain meds but how to deal with pain without

congrats on the progress. Now that the pills are getting out of your system, your body will start to get back to how it was before the pills. Now you may still feel some anxiety and moodiness for some time. This is normal, youll find it best to continue talking with people about it... good luck with work

The Following User Says Thank You to second go For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (09-23-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #62
(male)

Spaz50 HB UserSpaz50 HB User

It has been a week since last dose. Guess I am beyond the obvious symptoms.
I am really getting nervous. Pain is getting pretty bad. Suppose to go back to work tomorrow and I can barely move. Can someone tell me if the pain is amplified due to
not being on pain meds and my body addapting but not able to help with pain. Will i see
, in a few weeks, my own pain mgt. System kick in and help. II remember well why I started the meds. Any input would help. Not sure what is withdrawal pain after a week and what is my old chronic pain amplified.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #63
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hey Tony,

I'm glad you've done so well with your goal to get off the pain meds, but I'm sorry the pain is making itself known. I doubt that the pain is magnified due to getting off the pills, it's just the same pain you had before, when you went on the pills, but it's been so many years since you've had to deal with it full force, it just seems worse. You are going to have to come up with some kind of plan to treat and control your pain. I know you've said you won't go back to your PM clinic, but you probably are going to have to find a new doctor or some sort, back doc, chiropractor, acupuncture....someone to help you keep the pain at a liveable level. That's the worst part of getting off pain meds, I think some folks think that their pain is gone or isn't as bad anymore, so they don't need the meds that have "kept them hostage".....but in most cases the pain is still there and there has to be a plan worked out to deal with it. It's been years, so new xrays or MRI's are probably needed to see what's progressed or not. I'm not sure how you feel about meds in general, but if your pain is nerve related with the sciatica, there are meds that help with that, such as Neurontin, Cymbalta, Lyrica, these are not narcotics or opiates. I guess my only other thought is, is there a surgical fix for your pain, have you ever talked to your doc about that?

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (09-26-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #64
(male)

OK, I thought the pain meds affected the bodies natural production of pain
control and took a while to recoup. Or maybe just made that up with hopeful thinking. I told my wife how I now remember why the choice to start pain mgt. was made. Was hoping that since my surgury 3 yrs ago that the pain level would be tolerable. It may be. I don't think I can base how I feel 1 week into detox/withdrawal or whatever and think that is my future, or can I. This soon. Was thinking it took weeks to get to normal and to recover from all the negative effects.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #65
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Tony

I thought the pain meds affected the bodies natural production of pain
control and took a while to recoup.
TRUE

[COLOR="blue"]I don't think I can base how I feel 1 week into detox/withdrawal or whatever and think that is my future, or can I. This soon[COLOR="Blue" This was so true for me.

No one wants to be in pain for sure. However, I do think it is too early to tell. After withdrawal, there is a period when the brain sehnds out 'search parties" looking for any remnants of the drug anywhere it might possibly find it... like in bones and deep into muscles. If you can hang on, try to tolerate it for at least a month. Do the heat packs, the ice packs, Salon Pas Patches, aspirin, things like that and see if they offer some relief.

Wishing you well through this all
reach

Old 09-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #66
(male)

I thought that is the way I understood it. I plan on giving it a few months to see where my true pain level is. Not going to rush into anything else. Was a miserable day, but seemed to get better over the day. I have moved back to the other plant on campus and it was not a day standing waiting for something to breakdown. Was a fairly strenuous day, so I am encouraged that I didn't get worse over the day. I think the search party as you put it is in full steam mode.
I also did way to much yesterday which is why I am suffering today. So with all that in consideration I am not to unhappy with where I am within a week of stopping. I do feel like a truck hit me in the left side. Anyway. Thank you Reach, and Kat. I am positive this is the best road, yet most likely a rough one.
Last night I had some of the restless leg/body for a few hours, and didn't sleep but a few hours. I was surprised to have that come back after a couple days without those symptoms. So, day to day I will see what happens. Appreciate the support here so much. Thank you !!!!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #67
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Heya

There is an over-the-counter product called Hyland's for Restless Legs. Slip 2-3 tabs under the tongue to dissolve for relief. I dealt with restless legs most of my life and it was mega compounded during withdrawal.

I have had fairly good sucess with it. Can be found in Healthfood stores or online. Cheaper online. However, you might want to check locally as it would be quicker.

Good luck....those restless legs stink for sure!

reach

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (09-26-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #68
(male)

Another day passed. Over 7 days without meds. Seem to be getting the day 2 and 3 symptoms back. Even with lucerna, last dose, I have only gotten 6 hours sleep in last 2 nights due to the restless innerds thing. Started fairly severe diahrea last night which lasted half the day today. Some good news my pain level was much better today even with some very heavy work. I have been taking 3 doses of 600 mgs ibuprofen a day for few days. Energy level may be up somewhat but with the lack of sleep kinda canceled out but can tell I wasn't drained today the way I was when taking oxy's. So, overall I am cautiously optimistic. I seem to be less on edge,angry. Actually caught myself smiling, wow. Scared me. lol.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #69
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Tony,

Smiling is good, very very good! *l* I'm glad your hanging in there. The w/d symptoms can go a couple of cycles before they go for good. You can also use Immodium for the stomach issues.

I"m glad your pain is better today, that's always a good thing. Just be careful taking large amounts of Ibuprofen daily....low half-life nsaids such as Ibuprofen have severe gastro side effects, they also work as a blood thinner, so if you get cut or have to have any proceduers, etc. you'll bleed a lot more than usual.

I know, it seems like just another thing to have to keep track of, but unfortunately just because they are OTC doesn't mean they are completely safe.

kat

Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #70
(male)

Thanks Kat,
definately more ibuprofen than I want to take for long. Wish I had luxury of not working for another week. But if I feel tomorrow like right now I should be able to reduce that amt. Maybe thats what irritated my stomach again. Didn't know ibuprofen would cause the stomach issue. Thanks again Kat.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #71
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey There

Reading that you were smiling today just made my night. :-)

Hope you just keep getting better and better.

Here's to smiles
reach

Old 09-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #72
(male)

Anyone thats been on these drugs knows what I mean. I have become an irritable, angry
and miserable person. Beiing on the meds you don't realize it or attribute it to the drugs, but I guess blame your personality on the pain and everything but the meds. I have wasted ten years of. My life in this fog. And I write this daily for the people that maybe have just started a few months or a couple years ago, before it takes to much of your lives. Its subtle, the changes. Subtle to the user anyway. It has affected my marriage, my ability to be a good dad, and caused constant turmoil at work. My nickname has be tude, due to my attitude,
If I can, with the help of my new friends here can cause one person to see these changes in themselves and save years of hurt for a wife or a husband or 1 child its all worth it. It also hhas gotten in the way of my spiritual life. II pray for anyone in my shoes to have the strength to walk away from this dependency.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #73
Inactive
(female)

Tony,

Oh yeah, major stomach issues, it eats the lining of your stomach, messes with the way your intestines work, not great on the liver and kidneys.....What you might want to do for now, to help with the stomach trouble, is take a pepcid or zantac when you take your Ibuprofen. They're over the counter and can be got at any pharmacy or grocery store.

I don't know if economically this would be an option for you or not, but if you could afford it, have you considered taking some FMLA leave? (family medical leave act) Since it's government mandated your employer can't say much if you use it, and they can't fire you for using it....Just a thought.

So, how's your wife holding up, she doing okay?

kat

Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 AM   #74
(male)

Hi Kat,
yes, I used FMLA for the week after I stopped, last week. Can't really afford another week.
My wife is doing great. Made the comment last night that she had me back. See's the man she married again. There is no passion on these meds. It numbs you, even when you think
you are being loving and caring it is wishful thinking. She sees the side of me that has been gone for so many years. Will see how I do today with no ibuprofen. Seems there is no good
Solution to pain control.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #75
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

agree with everything you said. it took all of my enthusiasm away, its good to get it back.. didnt think it was possible

Closed Thread