It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #76
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User
Re: Time to quit pain meds but how to deal with pain without

Tony,

She seems like a very special women willing to go through the hard times and support you, you better no let her get away! *LOL*

Some folks have said aspirin does amazingly well, but too much aspirin isn't good for you either. I would use the Ibuprofen, but not go over 1200mgs a day That gives you 6 tablets for each day, that's not too awful of a does.

If you could take 2 when you get up, 2 at lunch, and 2 sat after dinner see if that works to control your pain somewhat.

Keep up the amazing work, you are doing so great.

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (09-29-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #77
(male)

Spaz50 HB UserSpaz50 HB User

Day 9 since last dose.
may have to resort to immodium. Really didn;t want to after struggling with colon shutting down due to meds. Years of constipation and stomach issues its almost a relief to go
The opposite way, but there is a limit.lol. have had constant headache for past 3 days and back spasms about same amt of time. So with all that and working full time I guess
fatigue should be normal. Will be glad to get all this behind me. It is a roller coaster ride.
Few peaks though compared to the valleys. Maybe in a couple weeks I will be through this, whatever it is. Still detox? Is that same as withdrawal? Doesn't really matter as I am better off than being on the meds. Not one of my most optomistic days. Feel lousy.

The following user gives a hug of support to Spaz50:
tinkerbell45 (10-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #78
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi

As far as detox and withdrawal.... I would guess detox is the process of clearing the body of all the med while withdrawal is the process of dealing with all the issues of detox.

The headaches... they were a major annoyance throughout my tapering. They should start abating soon. I think maybe the stress of withdrawal contributes to them. A nice upper body massage can go a long way in helping if you are game for that.

You are doing very well here. :-) Detox, withdrawal issues, fighting the depression... this was a huge chapter in my life as I am sure it is in yours. It is an unpleasant chapter, but one we can finally close the page on eventually. As I went through it, it seemed to be the only thing that identified me; today, it is but a small part of who I am and I am able once again to see the better parts of me. I blew a lot of time in drug haze, but now am participating in life again rather than just exisiting. Feels good.

Later, alligator
reach

The following user gives a hug of support to reachout:
Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #79
(male)

Really glad to hear you are doing so well Reach,
I think there is some depression and stress of not feeling good due to the detox.
I have no cravings for oxy's. So glad I have quit, but do wish or hope to get through
this time period of the body recovering and aching soon. I am not a very patient person although my patience seems to be better than when on meds. Not as irritable , but this daily headache makes it difficult to be cheerful. Ibuprofen doesn't seem to help the headache so much. Sleeping better last couple nights. No restless leg/body feeling. I don't seem to feel rested ever. I know that's common for 9 days after quiting oxycodone/and oxycontin after 10 years. Have to be patient. Thanks Reach.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #80
(male)

Day 13, not counting the 15 mgs it took on day 2 ,3 or 4. Its all a blur. lol
I am finding that my pain level without meds, today anyway, is not any worse than on the meds. Still have the nagging headache and muscle spasms in neck and back. not terrible but enough to limit what I want to do. Sleeping ok without help of meds. Never have slept real well. wake up several times a night. So that has not changed. So, a better day today than yesterday. A peak on my roller coaster ride to recovery. Hopefully in a week I won't have much left to say except that I am well, and happy without taking pain meds.
While it may be more comfortable to go into a facility, and safer I guess, if you don't have the resources to do that you will make it through what I am now going through. Surely wouldn't pay $15000 or $20000 to avoid what I have experienced in past few weeks. And if free as in Canada, and they make it so easy, semi painless where is the deterent ? Just a thought. May be a reason to go through the dicomfort.

The following user gives a hug of support to Spaz50:
Old 09-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #81
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Tony,

The purposes of inpatient detox is more for safety concerns as opposed to them making it easier or more painless. People go though the same w/d symptoms, the same hurting, restless legs/body, etc. as do folks who do it on their own. With some people and the levels of meds they are on, it's just not safe to try and do it on their own, or if you have other med. conditions, that can be a problem to.

I'm glad your doing well and hope that your time on this journey is not much longer.

Kat

Old 10-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #82
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz50 View Post
So, a better day today than yesterday. A peak on my roller coaster ride to recovery. Hopefully in a week I won't have much left to say except that I am well, and happy without taking pain meds.
good to hear. positive encouragement to others who may be trying to quit also.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #83
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

Hey Spaz its Tinkerbell45 here and i just now came across a couple of your posts and i wanted to ask you a couple of quetions if you don't mind answering them.If it makes you uncomfortable and you don't want to talk about it i will understand. I was wondering if you would mind sharing how you started taking drugs and how did you decide to quit? The reason i ask these questions is my brother is also an addict and i would LOVE for him to quit and i thought maybe just maybe if i had something in black and white that he could read from another person instead of just me "preaching" to him all the time that maybe he could catch a clue before he dies WAY TO SOON!!! I really appreciate your input take care of yourself and know that we are all rooting for you!!!

Old 10-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #84
(male)

Hi tinkerbell,
I have been on pain meds for about 10 years. I think it started years before that, the pain,
When I got rear ended by a drunk. For years they couldn't tell me why I hurt so much.
I have degenerative disk all through my spine. Neck curvature is opposite what it should be. So the whiplash started it all I think. Stated on oxycodone and oxycontin a few years later, and after about 6 years finally had surgury on lower back for double sciatic pain. SSpine was unstable and had fusion in lower back 3 years ago. Still deal with pain but don't like what the meds are doing to me. Physically and pychy. So decided a month ago to look into quitting. So started checking into tapering. Did very little taper, and quit 2 weeks ago yesterday. My new friends here have helped more than they know. Answered alot of questions and gave me strength and knowledge. I would imagine your brother has the same questions. I am still struggling physically but have never craved another pill. I thank God for that. Have him read this post from beginning and maybe he will have his questions answered. I pray he quits and becomes ther person he once was. I am on my way and will be really glad when I get thru it. Its been rough, but so worth it. My prayers are with you and your brother.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #85
(male)

Day 15.5, or 13.5 with setback of 15 mgs oxycodone.
Last 48 hours have been a valley in this roller coaster ride. Insomnia is back due to the restless leg thing. Headache is constant, diarhea is persistant , but better since taking immodium. was up all night sunday night with restless leg and general aches and pretty severe lower back pain. I took plenty of sleep aids last night so got some sleep and at work today. Headache isn't bad, just annoying, and stomach is better than yesterday. Still ache in neck and shoulders, but not severe. Lower back feels ok. Seems laying down is worst thing for it. Seem to be waking due to the pain when I don't have insomnia. Soo, will see what happens next. Didn't do much of anything over weekend. Went to movies Saturday night and church Sunday. That is it.
Preparing for the work week and recovering for working last week. Wore me out. lol

Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #86
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Tony,

I'm impressed that you made it to the movies, church and are at work this morning! You are doing amazing for where you are at in your recovery. I know it may not seem like it at times, but you really are.

I hope things get a bit easier for you today and as the week goes on, keep up the great work!

kat

Old 10-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #87
(male)

Thanks Kat,
I guess it's my impatience showing. I am ready to feel normal again. With pain and all. Find out what my baseline is and make decisions on my future. It's amazing how time drags when you feel lousy most of time. Today has been a pretty comfortable day. Just the aches and pains and very minor headache. I guess it worked out that the 2 bad days were my weekend. If it had to be.lol
Take care Kat.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #88
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

I agree with you there bud, when you feel like crap or the pains too bad, the day does seem to drag on. Something just not right about that!

hang in there,

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (10-05-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #89
(female)

seaspray HB User

Kudos to you on getting off pain meds! It sounds like you have had a struggle in the past many years. I am trying to heal my body at the cellular level by taking a redox signaling molecule supplement. Our bodies are pretty much made up of cells, and if cells don't have enough signaling molecules to detect, repair, and replace, we start having a lot of problems. This is a scientific breakthrough. There are many med articles on redox signaling molecules. I know this sounds extensive, but it has helped many people get a better quality of life. Let me know if you want more info. Take care. Chris

The Following User Says Thank You to seaspray For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #90
(male)

Day 18,
Gradually I am feeling better. Headaches still annoying, but not as bad.
Aches and pains not to bad through the day, but when I wake up and try to get out of bed the stiffness and back pain is worst. After being up a few minutes and walking it's not to bad. At this rate by the weekend I should, should be past the wd's? Maybe then I can see what I can start doing to strengthen and get my body conditioned. Since starting quick taper to today has been difficult. Can't say I crave the oxy's in the least. All I have craved is to feel better, and get past the wd's. Still fatigued and a little foggy for lack of better word. i am hoping that diminishes and I can feel normal. Whatever that is. It has been so long I may be to optimistic as to what that feels like.

Closed Thread