It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #91
(female)

seaspray HB User
Re: Time to quit pain meds but how to deal with pain without

Thinking of you.....keep trucking!

The Following User Says Thank You to seaspray For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (10-05-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #92
(male)

Spaz50 HB UserSpaz50 HB User

Well, Tomorrow is 3 weeks since taking meds.
Still a little foggy, and fatigued , but not to bad. Headaches are better. Pain is minimal which is surprising. My colon and digestive system have made a quick recovery so far. While on meds I would go 5 to 10 days with no BM.
I am past the Diarhea and almost normal. Sorry to be detailed about these things, but knowing what to expect helped me alot. So for those that are starting this process of being pill free, I hope this post helps. It has certainly turned into a month long journey. I actually, for last 2 days have felt great.
Not perfect, but after the past 3 weeks it feels that way. It wasn't easy but
it is doable for anyone that has made the decision. You will have to be determined and as I said before, don't have pills anywhere accessible. Flush them and
if you ask or read this post you will know what to expect. As someone told me, Reach i think, or Kat, this process has a beginning and it does have an end. The detox process. You begin to wonder after a while if you will ever feel better. You do. For me 20 days. The staying off pills part of it, after going through what I have for 3 weeks, is easy. No desire to experience the effects of pain killers or the withdrawals ever again. If you are reading this then your are or were in my shoes a month ago. Making the decision to quit. Nervous , scared and not sure if you can get through it. Wondering if you can
go a day without taking pills. With prayer and the support of the people here, you will succeed if you truly want to. You have my prayers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #93
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello!

It is wonderful to read your testimony here today. :-) I hope many who are on the fence and full of fear get to read your whole thread here and see that we truly can get off the pills successfully. For me, it serves as a reminder of my own journey and the decisions I had to make along the way. It helps to keep my resolve strong.

I am celebrating your life with you today. Losing the fogginess and regaining a foothold in truly participating in life is a wondrous thing and well worth celebrating! Keep sharing your story for those behind you, Buddy. It is an important story

In hope always
reach

Last edited by reachout; 10-07-2011 at 02:31 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #94
(female)

jamjam HB User

It's weird how we're so alike. I too worked in manufacturing...shift work to boot, and had bad back problems. I was in my 30's and never touched drugs or drank. After a car wreck and some ruptured discs, the Dr. put me on hydros. It did wonders, at first. I took it every day b/c I hurt every day. Plus, I had all this energy and was in a good mood. Problem is, you will build up a tolerance AND become physically addicted after one year, period. I didn't know this and thought all was ok b/c it's from my Dr.! Long story short, I started taking more...first a half a pill extra, then 2, then it got crazy. After 18 mos., I was hooked. The withdrawls were horrible...literally hung myself b/c they were so bad and the local rehab place gave me meds that did nothing. So I went online (this is in 2004), found out about Suboxone, and spent a month in a rehab place out of town. I suffered NO w/drawls, and the medicine is a pain-killer too. Also a sabotage medicine is in it, so if you try to take any opiates while on it, it'll send you into withdrawls! Since I'm from a small city in TX, I had to drive 200 miles every month to continue to get Suboxone. I had to do this until this last year! Finally, there's a Dr. here where I live. Gee, it only took 6 years. The good news for you is that it's available at a private Dr.'s office, you don't have to go to rehab (that was just my choice), and after he evaluates you, you usually can leave with a prescription and go get it filled at a pharmacy. You won't have to take off from work, won't have to suffer w/drawls, and the thing I learned is that ironically the more you take painkillers, the less your body makes it's own. So when I quit the opiates, after a while my pain went way down naturally. My work did random drug tests, and Suboxone does not show up on a regular test, so that helps too. Switching will also probably help your poor liver, b/c Suboxone is melted under the tongue and into the bloodstream, and your body doesn't have to process a bunch of acetaminophen. Say bye-bye to nausea too. Wherever you live, there is a list of Dr.s who prescribe it, and I'm sure you can contact the maker, but I can't tell you how b/c the Admin. said so a long time ago. But they have a toll free number and I'm sure a website. They'll help you find a Dr. Most require a drug test at first, and some random ones occasionally just to be sure. They have to I think. Even though I have 7 herniated discs (5 in my neck, 2 in my back, inoperable), believe it or not, all I take now is a fourth of a pill and an anti-inflammatory. Also, my chiropractor is my hero. I get horrible spasms and migraines sometimes, and he fixes me right up. As for all these ppl. thinking changing to Suboxone is just going from one addiction to another, well, that's b/s. One is a never-ending nightmare where you are a slave and even weaning off is almost impossible, the other (Suboxone) is the cure and yes, you can easily wean off. After 5 yrs. on it for intractable pain, my Dr. asked me to, and when I did, he graduated me to Subutex. I do understand where you are. I've been there, and thank God for Suboxone, I'm OK today. I'm back to my normal self, and so what if I take 2mg. 2 times a day? I consider myself clean now. The pills don't give me any "high", and it truly is just for pain. The bare minimum now. (When I first started, I did take the full 8mg twice daily). This is the answer that will just be between you and your Dr. and will not interfere w/your work and you can get off the nightmare ride that is opiate addiction. In a way, becoming a "drug addict" helped me...I'm so much more sympathetic and understanding. My prayers are with you, and I hope this advice helps.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #95
Senior Veteran
(male)

Philster2003 HB User

You've always ALWAYS inspired me Ms Reach. Yes I'm still here, omg he's still here. I just wanted to say hi and I'll come back real soon to hopefully provide something that might be of value add. I'm or I use to be good giving a lil advice on tapering or just the positive side... Yep one of the old old people is back. I'm doing well and I'm managing the pain and the MS life has now thrown on top of my other fun stuff. Be good I'll provide more after my afternoon nap ha

The following user gives a hug of support to Philster2003:
reachout (10-08-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #96
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Folks

Philster2003 is a wonderful friend of this board and a wealth of information on addiction and recovery. My mentor, my friend.

Don't want to hijack this thread so I will just end by saying that any words from Phil will be true and worthwhile.

I need a nap after this!

Hugs to all
reach

Old 10-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #97
(male)

I would say thousands are helped, just as I have been, by Reach and all the others here.
I have tried for a year to stop the pain meds but had no idea how, Had no idea what
To expect. Not until a month ago when I posted the first time. Had made a tentative, half
Decision to begin tapering. Now, a lttle over a month later I have gone from 100 'mgs
of pain meds a day to none in 3 weeks today. Only with the help and guidance by our friends here would I have known how and more importantly gotten through the very difficult 3 weeks. The negative effects of the meds are falling away daily. Colon is working again. I had become numb, not impotent, but actually lost 80% feeling, sensation sexually.
That is back to almost back to normal. My wife thought it was her for yrs. Thought I had lost interest. When you are numb almost, it doesn't matter how interested you are. The fog is lifting, the fatigue is lessening day by day. So, I thank God first, as I have prayed for yrs to get the strength to stop, and I thank all here that have supported me. I am off pills and have no cravings. All within about a month. This, writing everyday, has helped me but more than that I wrote daily to help the next person that,like me has made decision, but has no idea what to do or how. Not all will be able to do without help from a Dr. As I have. We are all diffrent, physically aand mental strength. How you do it is not important. You can have your life back, your passion. I will but not quite there yet.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Spaz50
reachout (10-08-2011), second go (10-08-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Spaz50 For This Useful Post:
reachout (10-08-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #98
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi

Yes, your story will help so many! It amazes me how quickly we bond as caring friends to one another on the board. People who will never meet in real life, but, never-the-less,have such an ongoing connection. I have shared things here that I have shared nowhere else, and it felt safe and right to do so. Whatever else might be said about adddicts, we are a caring, compassionate group of people. Maybe it is the struggles that we endure that help mold us into that? Whatever it is, it is real and I feel it whenever I come here.

Spaz, part of what I delight in is watching as you reclaim your life. You sure are more light-hearted than when we first met! Chuckles. As we rediscover what it feels like to participate in life again, it really is an awakening. Under the haze of drugs, life just doesn't seem too important and along the way we forget that we ever really enjoyed it. Then, slowly, we start to wake up again and start to grasp again that there is hope still, that we do want to be participants again and that it is all possible.

I was so sacred when I started tapering. I truly thought at times that I was going to die trying. It became a challenge to me, almost an exciting thing, to conquer each withdrawal symptom. When I was able to turn 'withdrawal' symptoms' into 'healing symptoms' in my mind, I turned a corner and the fear turned into hope.

Hope... that is what I see in you now. You are being restored. Awesome, Buddy, just awesome. Please continue to share with us here. I look forward to your posts.

With hope always
reach

Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #99
(male)

No drastic changes since last post. I think this will be the last post. Will check in in case someone has a question. Will mention a couple surprises.
I have had a hietal hernia since I was 18, and for the past couple years I haven't had the need for meds for reflux. Always had constant heart burn before.
Well, that seems to be back. Not sure if the pain meds reduced the stomach acids or just nuimbed the pain of reflux etc. Surely its the acid levels . May well be part of the digestive issues associated with oxycodone,contin. Digestion not possible with acid levels reduced? Just a thought. Other than that I think its all positive. Pain levels are not bad at all most of time. Depends on what I do. Definately not bad enough to warrant pain management and meds. Way to many side effects to take for minor pain. Even severe pain I would figure something else out. I have slept well several nights straight . Stomach is ok, and head hurts like it always does. lol Response I get is a head like that ought to hurt. I disagree ! Bye for now. Thanks to all !!!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Spaz50:
reachout (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #100
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi

It has been wonderful getting to know you and following your story. You have helped many as you helped yourself. Be well, stay strong.

Hugs
reach

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #101
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

Hey Spaz i just wanted to say i think you are a pretty awesome guy and i admire all of the courage and strength of what you did for your recovery ON YOUR OWN!!!! You HAVE helped alot of people and i am sure they are thankful beyond belief. Keep up the good work and i do hope that we will continue to hear from you at least once in awhile. Until next time good luckand TAKE CARE!!!!

Tinkerbell45

The following user gives a hug of support to tinkerbell45:
Spaz50 (10-11-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #102
(male)

I have no idea what you are talking about Jonathon. May have responded to wrong post. So will take this time to update. 4 weeks as of Saturday. 2 bad days, with migraines, fatigue and depression. Back to work today and hasn't been to bad a day. Not near as hard work today as last Thursday and Fri.
If I had to work like that everyday, I would be in trouble. Pain levels were really bad over weekend due to work. Woke up with migraine Sat. and had it till bedtime. May not be related to getting off meds. Wasn't expecting to deal with depression. May just be the 4 weeks straight of not feeling good. Thats depressing enough. Anyway, take care all.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #103
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Friend

Wasn't expecting to deal with depression.

The depression is an absolutely an expected part of the aftermath. Lousy, but normal in the whole process. It absolutely will pass in a number of weeks.. I don't know for sure as we are all different... but I would venture to say between 8-10 weeks.

Ironically, although working hard has created pain for you, it is also the very best thing you can do to speed up the process a lot in dealing with the depression. The brain needs as much help as it can get to rev its motor to start producing enough of the feel good chemicals again. There natural production was reduced drastically when we started fueling up with the drugs. Physical activity really gets the motor running again.

As my ordeal is over as far as withdrawal, I know this is easier for me to say than for you to believe: Considering you were 8 years on the drugs, it is reasonable to assume it will take a bit of time to feel all better. Kind of like if we overate for 8 years and gained 50 lbs... it would be reasonable to expect it to take some time to lose the weight when we decide to diet ( now that analogy is near and dear to My heart. chuckles).

Try to be patient in knowing that this depression is going to leave before too much longer. just keep on keepin' on... you have been doing everything right so far!

Hang in and hang tough
reach

Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #104
(male)

Thank you reach,
It is easy to get discouraged but you make a great point. Again, my lack of patience
In this recovery helps nothing. Feeling pretty anxious about the pain levels I have been dealing with for past week. Haven't missed a day of work since the week I took off to detox so that is a plus. Working a physically hard 10 hour day each day wwhich is why pain levels are where they are. So I will try to be patient.lol. I guess the depression should have been expected. I know you all said it was part of the process. I just believed I would be different. Positive thinking maybe. Have alot of stresses right now besides the not feeling good for a month. Thanks again for your help and encouragement. You are a blessing. I pray you are well as I do all my new friends here.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #105
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi

Thinking about you and wondering how that darn depression is going? It really can be a torment for us. Bah! Keep moving physically as you are able and help rid yourself of those crummy feelings. when thoughts turn dark, give yourself an immediate reminder that it is the depression spitting out the thoughts and recognize them as such.

Here's to better days, Buddy
reach

Closed Thread