It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #106
(male)

Spaz50 HB UserSpaz50 HB User
Re: Time to quit pain meds but how to deal with pain without

I am struggling a little wih it. Make it thru work week, get exhausted then weekend comes and really struggle to want to do anything. Hard to understand why, having quit meds I can apparently live without. Pain get bad and frustrates me but not sure pain is worse than on meds, but I am not numb emotionally to it anymore. So, maybe I just answered my own question. Not numb to anything any more. And everything. So, I am in a motorcycle ministry called Holy GHOST riders. Bunch of born again hooligans.lol have a cookout this evening so that will be a break from me laying here depressed for no reason at all. So stupid. Thanks reach. Will hop on Harley and ride.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #107
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Buddy

So, I am in a motorcycle ministry called Holy GHOST riders. Bunch of born again hooligans.lol

Couldn't help but chuckle aloud at that one. :-) There is a group of riders out of my Mom's church... Riding for Jesus, I think. Great bunch of guys. Never quite thought of them as born-again hoodlums before! Too funny.

Anyway.... for me, I found that the pain was no worse off the meds. I still have pain, but unlike you, I no longer work and can take the time out when it hits to deal with it with rest and ice and heat and aspirin, etc. It was really hard for me to accept that there was no choice but to accept that my life was just gonna have to change. For me, if I stayed on the meds, I was going to die from the depression they were causing. To come off them meant I could no longer work as there was no other way to mask the pain. Darn vicious cycles sometimes.

I know that the working is helping chase away the depression a bit quicker and that is good. Not sure exactly what kind of work you do, except that there is a physical component to it. What's the possibility of other work in the company? Any chance of another kind of work all together (writing that with the knowledge that jobs are hard to come by these days). How close or far away are you from retirement? I guess last I wonder if it might have come to the point of filing for disability? Lord knows I didn't want to do that, but there just was no other reasonable choice left.

We will chat again. For tonight, I hope you are enjoying that cookout. :_)

To Harleys and Him
reach

We conquer one battle just to face another sometimes, huh?

Last edited by reachout; 10-25-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: sp

The following user gives a hug of support to reachout:
tinkerbell45 (10-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #108
(male)

We have an amazing group of people. And that was hooligans, although I really don't
precisely know what that means. Like me, the holy Ghost riders have come from
a past of sin and being lost to a life of living the life convicted by the holy spirit to be just what we claim to be. We sow seeds at bike rallies and pray for our fellow man. It would be a dangerous thing to have just one of us HG riders not be true to our cause. . We are watched pretty closely by the 1%'rs as we are allowed to be patched like an MC. Rockers etc. We don't judge or preach, but answer question and give our testimony if asked.
I work in a manufacturing company and work on the equipment. Robots, motors
and computers. Just so happens the plant I work in is in state of rebuild and total redesign. So that means the next 3 months will be very long days and very strenuous.
after the restart in feb. It will be more back to waiting for a breakdown and projects. Much easier work. If I can manage the coming months I can handle the rest. If not I can bid diffrent jobs although I am not. Management material apparently.lol. so being maintenance is best pay I would take a cut almost anywhere I bid. But, that may be only option if I can't do the hours and work for next 3 months. Will see what the future brings
once I get through the side effects of stopping meds.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #109
(male)

mshawk1983 HB User

I can't say for sure, but when I came of oxy's (but i was snorting my 20's, usually 40mgs sometimes 60) it was definitely the addiction talking. I don't have the conditions you do, all I have is a fractured and dislocated pelvis, so I can't say for sure but... I'd talk to your dog a/b suboxone - it is a mild opiate that's not designed to control pain, but instead, keep you from having withdrawl. For the pain, I don't know of anything other than ultram during the day and flexoril at night... But you may need something like ambien, I can't say for sure... I've been hospitalized for 2 months and recovering for the next yr was hard, but not near as hard as the many many days/nights during my detox from opiates... But now I feel great and love sharing my story. Good luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to mshawk1983:
tinkerbell45 (10-24-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mshawk1983 For This Useful Post:
Spaz50 (10-24-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #110
(male)

Thanks for your help.
I pray you have a successful recovery. That is a long time in the hospital and
sounds like a difficult year. Is this something that you have been thru years ago or are you currently dealing with the injury and withdrawal. Sounds like in past. Thanks again for your input.

Closed Thread