HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Addiction & Recovery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/)
-   -   Alcohol Addiction? Please Help (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/870004-alcohol-addiction-please-help.html)

iluvg1120 09-20-2011 10:15 AM

Alcohol Addiction? Please Help

I am very scared. I have been drinking a lot in the past few months. I have a 9 year old daughter and she doesnít really realize it, but soon she will. I read these stories of children in pain because of their parents. It hurts me so much. Most of the time, it isnít a whole lot, but there have been times where I have drank too much, then canít remember or wake up feeling awful.

I have been writing down my feelings every day. I have gained at least 10 pounds in the past few months. This has only been going on for a few months, so I know I can recover very quickly, as long as I want to. How do I make this step in just giving it up? I want to be healthy and start going back to the gym. Drinking gets me nowhere. I know this. How do I get past this before it does get out of hand?

Please help.

reachout 09-20-2011 04:03 PM

Re: Alcohol Addiction? Please Help

Hello

Glad to meet you. :-)

Successful recovery involves withdrawaing from the drug, or alcohol, AND developing a plan that helps us to maintain our sobriety by changing our thinking. As addicts or alcoholics, we need lots of support in reaching and maintaining sobriety and restoration. Find and utilize every support you can... AA meetings, counseling, this board, friends and family, doctors. While we don't have to broadcast our problem to the world, we most definitely need to be totally open and honest with those who can help.

Alcoholism and addiction are both coping methods we use to hide from issues in our lives. Counseling is what helped me define the issues and learn to face them and then cope with them in much healthier ways. Quite honestly, the physical withdrawal was hard, but nowhere near as hard as facing my own demons. However painful that part of the journey may be, it is also awesome in that it is a time of great learning about ourselves and our approach to the world.

My suggestion is that you first find a doctor who will help you through the alcohol withdrawal. As you make that appointment, start writing down your plan and making plans for the support you will choose. Having a solid plan in place leads to a much greater chance for success.

Wishing you well
reach

gardenandcats 09-20-2011 08:17 PM

For many attending AA meetings help alot also

dee088 09-20-2011 10:30 PM

Hi iluvg1120, I quit cold turkey, minimal withdrawls. I did not go to aa due to my reasons. I had support from friends and family. I avoided those who drank for awhile. There might be slips but don't worry about it. Just pick up where you left off. I am glad about you are worried about your child. The child does not need to see you drunk. Then the will be guilt to work on. It may take years to overcome it, but it will happen and you need to forgive yourself. Your can do it! Sobriety is awsome. You will get there! Best of luck to you and you family.

red65 09-21-2011 12:18 PM

Hi and congrats on trying to do something about your drinking. My kids were a little bit older than your daughter (13 and 16) when I started drinking alcoholically and a lot of emotional damage was done to them so I definitely agree that you should stop sooner rather than later for your daughter's sake and more importantly, before alcohol gets hold of you even more.

I was a pretty heavy drinker towards the end and I detoxed at home. I am not going to lie, the withdrawals were horrible for me and getting through them was the hardest thing I have ever done. On the other hand, putting the bottle down was also the most rewarding thing I ever did.

As my body went through the withdrawals my mind and body were screaming for a drink. I knew that all it would take would be a drink and all that misery would immediately stop. I had to combat that voice with the truth. It would stop it temporarily and then I would be right back where I started. To get through the hardest times I stayed busy and I told myself over and over that if I could just get through it I didn't ever have to go through it again if I didn't CHOOSE to. It worked and I haven't chosen to pick up a drink in a little over 7 years.

I agree with reachout, support is VITAL to our success! I get my support in various ways which include attending AA, being married to someone who is also sober, recently joined this board.

I also agree with reachout that we drink to avoid thinking about or dealing with situations in our lives. She suggested therapy and I second that. I got mine out working the 12 steps. Doesn't matter the method, just as long as someone helps you to figure out why you drank, what you were hiding from, and work through it so you get some mental and emotional peace about it.

One final thing. When you get ready to quit please inform someone and have them on standby just in case you need to seek emergency care. From the way you describe your drinking you will probably be able to detox at home with no problems but just to be on the safe side, having someone on standby to monitor you and to help with your daughter is something to be considered.

Hugs and blessings to you,
Kellye

Kaytaters 09-24-2011 06:46 PM

Speaking as a child with a alcoholic father, THANK YOU! Thank you for knowing you have a problem and thank you for knowing you need to stop. Your child will be forever grateful when she gets older.