It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User
suboxone

Was on subs for 7 months, too long and found a bottle of oxycodone 30 mg #70, which I had hid from my daughter, that I forgot about. Went on subs, too high dose for to long. So took the oxycodone, 300mg a day. Want to detox with subs, short term, and get off of everything. Due to being on the subs for so long the oxy's didn't cover the pain and had to take more to find relief. NO HIGH from the oxy's, just want to be out of pain and don't have the $ to restart PM.
Want off everything. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.
I'm sick and tired of paying the doc's and for the meds. It's killing me financially. Know I'm rambling. Need help from someone who has used subs to detox short term. My sub doc said I had to be on them for a year. No way.
PLEASE help someone.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Love and Peace.
ZG

Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: suboxone

Hello zoiegrace

I have not ever used suboxone or subutex, so I can not give much advice here. I assume, though, that since you were taking it long term, it was Suboxone you were taking?

How did you go about taking the Suboxone the first time? Was it to caome off opiates? If so, I would just follow the same pattern as before. No Oxycodone for at least 12-16 hours or until you go into full withdrawal, then start the sub again. taper off gtom there.

I hope someone who has used subs will pop in soon with more experienced knowledge.

Wishing you well
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Reachout,
Thanks for the support. I was in PM for several years due to 4 herniated discs and spinal stenosis. I went to my MD office for my appointment and it was closed, gone. I thought it was a real PM doctor. I had to have proof with 2 MRI"S in 9 months, did 2 epidurals, PT, everything except surgery, which I will not do. Fla busted alot of PM doc's who were just writing scripts for $ and no exam every visit. Those places needed to be shut down, but unfortunaly it hurt the people who really need PM. A friend of mine who works in a rehab at a hospital gave me the name of the sub doc and I did not research the medication before I took the med. After reading for hrs. on the computer I realize it is harder to get off of, like herion, etc and my dose of 32mg a day was way to high. I had to go to work the next day, could not be in WD's. The subs took care of all WD's. Now I read people go to drug rehab to get off of subs. So once the pain med is gone will need to go back on the sub at a much lower dose, for a short time. it's very expensive, around $700 a month, with insurance and the doc visit is $150. I'm almost 60 years old, have 4 grand kids, and the pain medication helped so much. I could actually have a life and not be in bed at 7pm, up at 5am to go to work.
I could go on forever, so thanks for being there for me to vent. Hopefully someone will be able to help with detox from the subs.
Peace.
Zoie

Old 10-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hiya

Yes, suboxone can be difficult to withdraw from because it contains an opiate, Buprenorphine. The other ingrdient in it is Naloxone somehow provides a ceiling effect from opiates. The Bup is what causes the discomfort in withdrawing.

zoiegrace, as you taper off the sub, try to remember that it is a process, with a beginning and an end. Understanding the process and knowing what to expect can make it easier, erase a lot of the fear. Think of any symptoms as symptoms of healing. That helped me so much in getting through it.

From anecdotes here on the board, a sun withdrawal does not seem too horrible until it gets down to 2 mgs. That seems to be the magic mark where the real fight begins. Keep posting as you go through this and let us help support you.

Rooting for you all the way
reach

Old 10-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Hi Reach, thanks so much for your words of support. I recently posted somewhere my fear and anxiety. Took my last oxy, was great being out of pain for a week. Tomorrow I will restart the suboxone at a much lower dose. 32mg was too high of a dose.
Will keep you updated and thanks for your kind words.
Love and peace:eek
ZG

Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey there

I have to agree with you that 32 mgs really does sound high. Most posters here seemed to have started with 16mg tops, some only 8mg as that seemed high enough for them. I can't recommend a dose certainly, but from everything I have read, you are correct in saying 32 mgs is way too high.

Glad to know you will update. :-) The board is just a wonderful connection, isn't it?

Sleep well, be well.
Hugs
reach

Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
(male)

RBK1111 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoiegrace View Post
Was on subs for 7 months, too long and found a bottle of oxycodone 30 mg #70, which I had hid from my daughter, that I forgot about. Went on subs, too high dose for to long. So took the oxycodone, 300mg a day. Want to detox with subs, short term, and get off of everything. Due to being on the subs for so long the oxy's didn't cover the pain and had to take more to find relief. NO HIGH from the oxy's, just want to be out of pain and don't have the $ to restart PM.
Want off everything. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.
I'm sick and tired of paying the doc's and for the meds. It's killing me financially. Know I'm rambling. Need help from someone who has used subs to detox short term. My sub doc said I had to be on them for a year. No way.
PLEASE help someone.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Love and Peace.
ZG
First rule is when you are ready to quit you do not need a program. Unlike, say barbiturate withdrawal, you will NOT die from a opiate withdrawal so now it is a matter of dermination and pain tolerance. No matter how dependency begings, we gradually become less able to cope by virtue of the fact that we become "addicted" to the "relief" provided by drugs. As a result our normal coping mechanisms are diminished creating a viscious cycle. Eventually, we don't use drugs to feel good but to be "normal". In your case, if I understand you correctly, you say you needed oxycodone because you were on too high a dose of suboxone. Usually doses are around 12-16mgm and as you know suboxone is both an agonist and antogonist (containing nalaxone). You did not and never needed oxycodone because of suboxone. As a matter of fact, in most cases taking oxycontin with suboxone would be counterproductive. You do not need a year to do anything. If you want to stop, you can cold turkey if you have been on suboxone for awhile and have not built an additional tolerance to other narcotics. If you are using narcotics you need to gradually taper down at a pace you are comfortable with. The problem is akin to dieting. Everyone says they will lose weight ----------tomorrow. Good luck

Last edited by mod85; 10-12-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

RBK1111, I can see you would be confused about my post if you did not read the start of my post on page 1.
Thanks for your info and if you read my first post I hope you would be able to help me. I was in PM, md office closed, went on subs, too high a dose.
Took 300 mg of oxycodone a day for 7 days, finally out of pain for a short time. Went on subs to avoid detox and not miss work. Did not understand at the time it was trading one addiction for another. Today I started out at 6mg, 2mg every hr untill stable. If you have a short term plan for me i would really appreciate your help. I can't go cold turkey. Just need a short term detox plan with subs so I can work.
Thank you
Peace
ZG

Old 10-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Thanks reach,
been hell past 2 days but I am not giving up
taking subs 2mg at a time to ease the WD. Been up since 3:30 am so I ended up taking 8mg yesterday and 10mg today, too keep the boogie man away.
Your support mean so much to me.
love and Peace
Zoie

Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
(male)

bmw5085 HB User

I know exactly what everyone is talking about with soboxone. I was on soboxone 2 seperate times and the second sucessful time I was on it for 2 years. I believe that it saved my life and gave me back the guift of life. However, getting off of the subs was very very hard! Dr.s tell you that it is very easy and there is no withdrawl when done rite.. WRONG!! i fallowed my Dr's long tapering process which eventually brought me down to 1/2mg every other day and then slowly off. It took me months to finally feel normal and SLEEP. I feel it was very hard to keep myself from using just so i could feel normal and sleep but after getting through it I am very happy that I dont need to take ANYTHING to be able to live normally anymore. I think the problem is that doctors are keeping people on subs for way too long and at way to high of mg's which makes their bodies need just that little bit of buph to feel normal. I wish my Dr. would have lowered me to a very low dose very quickly after I got on the program and let me taper off asap. I feel that as soon as you get proper counseling and a solid circle of friends who support you the Dr. should take you off the subs. Worst case the Dr. would just have to keep you on a low dose until you are READY to eliminate the medicine. I feel that since suboxone has been out for a while now and its being given out like candy Dr.s are taking advantage of the money that the patients are paying to be on the program. I spent thousands and thousands to support my sub addiction. I also believe that since sub's are still relativly new Dr.s do not truely know how strong it is and how hard it is to come off of. Of course the sub rep's are going to say that its a miracle drug and is easy to come off of to win the Dr's over but there hasnt been enough time and research to claim that. Its a great drug to help someone come off of opiates in a rapid detox but its just a substatute for opiates in a long term program. its the "governments way to get the drug dealers money". To support the Dr.s though, sub patients all require different programs which makes the program hard. Some patients may need the long term program because they are chronic relapsers or do not want to get serious and do the work to get clean but the majority of people do not need a long term program. I hope that the program will change and be more short term. I certainly did not need to be on subs for 2 years, or at 16mgs for most of it. more experiments need to be done and Dr's need more education on the product and experiment results. I know I controdicted myself many times in my post and the reason is because I definitly agree with the program and it does work well but going through the whole thing i couldnt help to get suspicious because i felt i was being robbed and while my Dr was very helpful/knowledgeable he didnt seem to know the true consequences of subs. To him it was perfect and with the right taper you would now experiance any side effects. He blamed my constapation, restlessness, lack of apatite, bad stomich, etc.. on everything but sub's and they all dissapeared when I finally got off the medicine.. so, if your on sub's beware that you have to be committed to getting your life together and making huge changes, gaining a huge support netwark, and that its not a miracle quick fix.. you have to stop taking it eventually...

Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

bmw5085, I agree with everything you stated. I was on 4mg, f-uped and just restarted on 8-12mg daily. Trying to keep the dose as low as I can go without the WD's coming, so I'm doing 2mg at a time.
This is my 2nd go, and I had no idea about subs being addictive.
I was in PM for awhile, several years, and my doc closed down, gone. Had to work and a friend gave me a name of a sub doc.
He makes it sound so easy and the expense is tremendous. Atleast I can work, and vent on the board. Past 2 days have been hell as I just restarted after taking 300mg of 30's for a week. My fault, NOONE else, but it still sucks.
Glad you posted, your understanding is so appreciated
Peace,
Zoie

Old 10-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Hi Everyone, Day 4 on subs, doing very well but I know I have to start reducing the dose soon. I tryed today but started WD"S so took another 2mg and the symptoms went away. Hopefully when I go back too work I'll be too busy to think think think, stinkin thinking, always gets me in trouble.
Thanks for all the support.
Peace,
zoieG

Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey There zoiegrace

Just stopped by with a "hello" and "I am thinking about you."

How are things going for you? Would love an update when you feel like it.
:-)

Hugs
reach

Old 10-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Reachout, thanks for the post. doing well on the subs, but finding it difficult to decrease my dose without WD's. Always want to do thing too fast and get it over with. I realize it will take time and I need to be patient with myself.,
Week flew by with work, so that is good, but I must be honest and say I want to take pain medication. I don't have any and that's a good thing.
It 's only been a week, feels as if it's been a year. So I'm not going to reduce my sub dose now, maybe in a week or 2, or until I'm more stable in my feelings and thinking. Chase the dead dragon, those days are so over.
I'm also really tired. Don't have to get up at 5am tomorrow, yeaahhh.
Need to sleep in if possible. Been up everynight this week, from 1 or 2am.
then back to sleep for couple of hrs.
Thank you so much for being there.
Love and Peace,
Zoie

Old 10-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey zoie

I think that one of the most important aspects of those who choose sub is that it gives them the opportunity to become more stable in their thinking about drug use. If we can't get to that point, we will continue to fail. I think you have made a wise evaluation of yourself and with it a wise choice. Good for you!

Have you tried Melatonin 3mgs to help brain get ready for sleep? It really was a huge help to me while tapering and even now I use it on occasion. It is a supplement my doctor recommended. Melatonin is produced naturally in the brain, but maybe the drug use screws up that production also? Whatever, it did help me. Maybe worth a try.

Stay strong, stay commited
reach

Closed Thread