It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

Arianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB User
Oxy withdrawal without beginning a taper?

Nobody answered my last post about what anyone thought about stopping neurontin cold turkey, so I have to assume that isnt my problem.

In my previous post I said I was injured and the dr went from vicoden to norco to oxycodone 10/325. I am so scared of the pills, that even though he said to take them 4 times a day, I have forced myself to 3 a day, trying for every 8 hours. But each time I hit about 6 or 7 hours, I become shaky and feel awful. I havent even begun to taper and yet I feel like I need to take the drug to stop the shakes. If I am not in withdrawal, why would I feel like this? It was only when I began the Oxy, which was about 6 weeks ago, that this problem happened. The 7 months previous on vicoden and norco had none of these symptoms.

My 91 yr old mom moved in with me last year because my dad died and she is disabled. things were fine till my injury last Feb. Now it is hard to take care of her when I am having problems taking care of me.

Someone please respond. Fear is such a great enemy and fear of the unknown even worse.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User
Re: Oxy withdrawal without beginning a taper?

It is a frustrating trying to figure out what is causing what pain/anxiety isnt it? Ive been there 3 times, and I will say that coming off the pills is a tall hill to climb, but is soo worth it, and is absolutely doable.

How long altogether have you been on the meds. Ill try to re-read your posts. What I will say is that Ive been there, with the sixth hour hitting, and feeling terrible. But, alot of the anxiety is not knowing what to expect, and how long the pain will last etc..am i right?

well, most people, once they find the will power to start tapering, begin to take a little less the next week, and then drop the dose a little the week after that. Once you get to as low as you can go, then its time to stop using the pills altogether. When you get to this point, you are looking at about 4-7 days of feeling like you have the flu.

This sounds bad, but it is completely doable if you are determined. Day 3, 4, 5 of no meds is the worst, then your body will start to adjust.

This post is just so you get a feel of what to expect. I and others can help you with more details, as you provide more information.

If you search 'Spaz50' and find his post, he documented coming off of pills, just a month or two ago, and there is a great deal of info in there. He said it really helped that he stayed posting on here. -Secondgo

The Following User Says Thank You to second go For This Useful Post:
Arianna2 (12-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
(female)

Arianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB User

If all I thought was feeling like I had the flu was going to be it. I guess my fears wouldnt be so great. I went through a session about 13 or so years ago, where I had doctors that had no clue.. and I went through 17 days of no sleep. I ended up in the hospital because of the extent of the problem and the things the body and mind go through because of sleep deprivation is unexplainable. I finally found a dr that got my body to sleep... but am left with such a fear of body symtoms that even if it is a minor one, my mind makes it into something horrible and then I wonder if I will sleep. A viscious circle.

I havent posted all that much. I am new, but Ive been on pain pills for 9 months now. I was injured at work, and because it is in litigation, the most Ive gotten is plenty of pain meds, a little bit of therapy and that is about it. My disabilty from work says.. we cant help you, it is work related. The ins company from work says, we dont believe your injury is work related. My Catch 22. So instead of maybe getting the right therapy to heal, ive become addicted to pain meds.

If only I could blank my mind from the past... this (tall hill to climb) as you say, might not seem so HUGE.

Thanks for your response, reading that others have gone through similar things helps.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

it is silly to scared of your meds- if they help you- then you should take them as i think that is what your dr had in mind-if they dont help you-then you should also communicate that to your dr -best wishes

Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
(female)

BB07, you are very right about it being silly to be afraid of my meds. I guess because of the side effects and the impending withdrawal ahead of me, I have gotten myself into a tizzy.

Before my injury, I was working full time, enjoying my kids and grandkids, and hobbies. This is all pretty new to me (9 months).. so acceptance comes hard.

I have read so many posts, and realize my issues seem so trivial compared to most. I just have so many changes in my body and mind, Ive not been able to come to grips with it all. And the issues I do have, I feel like a weenie asking about them.

But I will keep reading the posts, and gather as much as I can from them, and hopefully lose some of the fears I have. I am so thankful for this forum. There is no one in real life that could begin to understand.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

yeah the sleeplessness is frustrating, but if you can focus on your goal, of not having to take the meds, it may help. How did your doc help w sleep before? Melatonin is good, and sometimes a seroquel prescription from doc can be useful

Old 12-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
(female)

My body is just so weird. I have a paradoxical effect to so many meds. The dr tried most sleeping meds, Lunesta, Ambien, Remeron, etc.. and none worked. What worked in the long run is Deseryl. Ive been on it many years, and it works just fine till some sort of upset, and then the dose is adjusted till it passes. I had bad side effects to Seroquel, so that is out.

Funny you would ask about Melatonin. I did a search today to see if I could take Melatonin with Deseryl, I do have some in the house but have never tried it. I think I will tonight and see.

BTW.. your name is second go.. yet your post said youve been through this 3 times.. Is it time to change your name to third go? (just being silly) and thanks for responding.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User

Aianna2, I understand everything you have posted. Pain is pain. If your taking the pain pills for the pain, that's normal, but when you have to take the pain pills to feel normal or taking them to get high then you have crossed over to addiction. You are addicted to the pain pills. These questions can only be answered by you. I'm addicted to pain medication, not to get high, but for real pain. So when my MD left me, closed, gone with all my records I went on suboxone, so I could work and not go thru WD's. Worst mistake I ever made. Wish I had gone thru the WD's with the oxycodone 30mg, Would of been over. Now I'm addicted to the suboxone, but that's another story.
I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.
I would keep tapering down on the narcotics and get them out of your life.
Peace
Gracie

Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
(female)

Zoie...Sorry for your post.. Not sorry (for you).. but sorry that life seems to hand us such troubles. The worst part I find is not being able to talk to people in real life about it, like when people have cancer, or even a cold. It is acceptable to be ill, but if it is drug or mind related, you have to be careful who you choose to talk to. For me, my husband listens, and my mom, but they dont truly understand. You can only understand if youve been there.

At least here.. in this forum.. you can share what you have to say, even if nobody is listening. Take care and I will be thinking of you.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Arianna2, thanks for the post. I too need people who understand addiction and depression and if they haven't been there they just don't get it..
On the board we can be honest and get our feeling out and be understood, without judgement. I have friends I can talk to about certain things and I am very grateful for them, BUT sometimes we need more, I need more, to feel I am worth something, besides an addict and mental patient.
If we can help eachother I think we have a better chance of making it, not feel so alone, or guilty or ashamed etc. All those negative emotions can melt away, atleast for awhile,
Take care,
L&P
Gracie

Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
(male)

jeffster HB User

If I'm reading this right, you're doing between 30-40mg of oxycodone per day?

In all honesty, I recommend taking your meds as prescribed, then when you want to quit, just take a few days and quit CT. At that dose, it's really not that bad. I don't want to diminish what you are going through, because I know it can be incredibly stressful and scary. What I can tell you though is that from that dose, quitting cold turkey is completely doable. You will feel crappy for 3 days (day 2 and 3 being the worst), but you should start feeling close to 100% by day 5 or 6 assuming you haven't been on them for that long.

Again, I don't want to diminish what you are going through, but the dose you're talking about is pretty low, and quitting cold turkey, while uncomfortable, really won't be that bad. I can tell you from experience that the FEAR of withdrawal is almost always worse than the withdrawal itself. Especially at low doses.

Hope that gives you some motivation.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
(female)

Hi Jeff, I just got home from the dr., with another script and more therapy lined up. I havent been on Oxy for that long, but Ive gone from Vicoden to Norco, to Oxy since last Feb, and havent been able to go one day without it.

I have played around with the oxy to see what would happen if I went longer than prescribed, and i see that it can be done, but with my previous bad experience with withdrawal, i wont be doing CT. Yes the fear is the worst, and no matter how much my intellectual mind says it will be over... my fear is so great it becomes more of a mountain that I can handle. I dont mind weaning slowly, i just want to be able to do it.

Thank you for your response.. always nice to know others are sailing or have sailed the same boat.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
(female)

Thedomina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoiegrace View Post
Aianna2, I understand everything you have posted. Pain is pain. If your taking the pain pills for the pain, that's normal, but when you have to take the pain pills to feel normal or taking them to get high then you have crossed over to addiction. You are addicted to the pain pills. These questions can only be answered by you. I'm addicted to pain medication, not to get high, but for real pain. So when my MD left me, closed, gone with all my records I went on suboxone, so I could work and not go thru WD's. Worst mistake I ever made. Wish I had gone thru the WD's with the oxycodone 30mg, Would of been over. Now I'm addicted to the suboxone, but that's another story.
I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.
I would keep tapering down on the narcotics and get them out of your life.
Peace
Gracie
First i think arianna is perhaps just having a bad reaction to oxy and should switch back to the prior meds that didnt give her this problem.

But i am curious about your comments about suboxone. You seem to imply that getting off the subs is worse then getting off the oxy's. Why is tnat?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Hi there, I would also cut down my dose of oxy and don't do CT, I attempted that when I ran out and thought I was going to die. My MD told me I could have seizures or cardiac problems, high BP etc.
Oxy has a short half life and is out of your system in 3-5 days.
With suboxone, the half life is 37 hrs, and remains in your mu receptors of your brain for along time, thus the long taper. People spend months trying to get off suboxone, herion is easier than suboxone. Of course they don't tell you that when they RX it. I have done extensive research and read hours of people trying to get off suboxone. It is good for a fast taper, 2 weeks or less, but any longer then you are addicted to the med. I was started out at 32mg, which is equal to about 600mg of oxycodone. I's a cash cow. Don't get me wrong, it has helped alot of people stay off drugs and takes the cravings away, but it was never attended for long term use. Great pharama companys telling MD that it is the wonder drug. In Europe they start the people out at .5mg or less. 32mg in the ceiling effect, so you can take more and it will do nothing, narcan was also added to prevent people from using it IV, but the film, has a short affect. Also if you do need pain meds, IE for surgery or dental work etc, you have to be off of it for over a week to get any relief, minimal at most. I had 2 dental implants, 5 hr oral surgery prior to the implants and being off of the sub for a week didn't help much and I suffered terribly with pain. Everyone is so different when it comes to medication, so what works for one, may not work for another. I dread the day I started the subs, extremely expensive, like $600 a month, with insurance, where before I was paying $10 for 180 oxycodone 30mg. I blame noone but myself for not researching this med before I started it. The sub MD doesn't take insurance, first red flag I ignored.
So I wish everyone good luck in the journey they decide to take.
I only talk about my experience and don't mind if people add their 2-cents for help, some have been very rude, and this board is for everyone to get help, advice or understanding, or just to vent and get support from people who have been there.
Love and Peace to all.
Gracie

Old 12-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedomina View Post
First i think arianna is perhaps just having a bad reaction to oxy and should switch back to the prior meds that didnt give her this problem.
You are right Thedomina, I was having a bad reaction to the Neurontin I was taking along with the Oxy. Now that it is out of my system and I am only taking the Oxy.. I am back to being a regular old pain pill taker. UGH

Closed Thread