It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
(male)

poker444 HB User
Xanax Withdrawal

I have been on a low dose of Xanax (.5mg) for the better part of 10 months now after having a severe panic attack where I thought I was dying. I have tried 2 times to get myself off these little pills and both times I have failed only after a few days due heightened anxiety, heart papultations, dizziness, body pain and a feeling of being in another world. It was miserable to say the least!!
I decided last week to start a Juicing Fast (to drink only vegetable/fruit juices freshly made 3-4 times a day and not to eat any food) mainly because I had put on 25 lbs since starting to take Xanax. I was inspired by the movie Fat Sick and Almost dead. To kick things up a notch, I decided that if I am going to Detox my body I mine as well try kicking the Xanax again at the same time (I already knew this would be hard, so I decided to make it really hard).
Right now I am on day 4 of Juicing and no Xanax and what is amazing is that the withdrawal symptoms from Xanax have been SO MILD compared to the last 2 times I tried! It's incredible so far, now I know it's been 4 days, but the last time I tried withdrawing by day 2 I was in sheer terror already. I will continue to see how this goes but so far so good... I plan on continuing my Juice Fast for another week or two (or more). Anyone who is having trouble withdrawing from Xanax may want to try this... on top of that, I have lost 10 lbs. in 4 days!

Last edited by mod85; 01-22-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: Xanax Withdrawal

Not a good thing to "cold turkey" xanax....you must taper down the dose...you need to read this board thoroughly, as there are many who can tell you this is not safe.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi poker

Echoing Flintrock's words, I too would say that any benzo should be weaned down and not stopped cold turkey! benzos are very different from opiates. I think sometimes we do not have a true grasp on the potency of this drug. While .5 Xanax may not be a high dose, do not underestimate the impact it has been having on your brain and your brain's natural production of chemicals.

The rule of thumb in a benzo taper is to cut the dose by 5-10 percent every week to ten days. Sometimes that might involve crushing the pill and eyeballing a dose. I went down to a 16th of a pill, crushing a quarter pill and measuring the dose from that. when I got there, I started skipping days... every two days, then every three and so on. In the end, I was pretty much able to walk off.

Wishing you well
reach

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
poker444 (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Amen to that. And don't forget...every withdrawal is not the same on every person. We are all different and this stuff is a monster, not knowing how to get rid of it, can kill you. Too bad the docs don't educate people who ligitimately take this stuff. Let alone the poor souls who take it to get high so they can forget their problems for a little while.

In my house and dealing with xanax addiction by my son, all hell would break loose. Mixing alcohol was a not a smart thing. And seeing his personality change from my son to some kind of devil. it' amazing to me how a pill and drink could change someone's life, and their family's life forever. Be safe....

Old 01-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Yeah cold turkey(ing) benzo's is never a good idea. It's just not something that you can safely do. These drugs work very specifically on your brain and it's chemicals and functions....and when you've taken it for a long time and then just stop....you can get yourself in some really big trouble really fast. Tapering off of benzo's is the way to detox because this allows your brain chemistry to gently adjust from the meds being taken away.

Also doing multiple mass changes to your body like stopping benzo's, going to an all juice fasting diet and losing large amounts of weight in a short period of time....probably not the best idea in the world. So, please just be careful.

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
poker444 (01-23-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi poker

Just thinking about you and wondering how things are going for you. Give us an update when you can

reach

Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wink Re: Xanax Withdrawal

Hey Poker:

Reach and I are thinking about you and praying for you....hope you're feeling so good you are outside in beautiful weather smelling the fresh air! Sounds corny I know....but it helps!! Update us soon.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
(male)

poker444 HB User

So I am on day 9 of life post Xanax and it has been a little bit of a roller coaster ride. The other day I woke up in the morning with a blistering headache and shortness of breath... I know this feeling well, as it is usually the beginning symptom of when I feel like I am heading into a state of panic when I haven't taken Xanax. I was able to calm my body down (I actually meditated for 20 minutes) thank god and was able to push through without any of those toxic little pills. I have had some numbness in my legs, some shakiness in my body, cold feet, headaches, lack of concentration and weird feeling all around my body so far.
I am able to go to work but can't work very efficiently.... ( well I did miss 1 day cause I was feeling real lousy)
I have continued my Juicing Cleanse with the Xanax stoppage, which I still believe has helped me even getting this far. I am thinking of continuing the Juicing Cleanse for a total of 15 days. I have no intentions of looking backwards and will continue to battle and push through any desire to pop a Xanax. One day at a time, hopefully time will heal my problems. Thank you all for caring and for your support!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
(female)

aprilxoxo HB User

i had to go for medical withdrawl to get off the benzos. i was taking a lot more then u but still you should not just stop incase u get a siezure, it can kill u so be real careful.

Closed Thread