It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
(female)

girl80902 HB User
How many pills (narcotics) a day make an addict?

Hi all,

I'm new here. I feel I'm an addict. I take 3 7.5 vicodines a day. I have had to take more in the past due to surgeries but now I can just take three a day and be fine. BUT I want off of them! I know the only way to break the cycle is to just get the meds out of the house. I'm willing to do this. I want to know if I will have WD after stopping the meds on this amount??? I have been on them for a year now but the 3 a day has been for the past 30 days.

I just want to be done with this stuff no buts just done!

Please any advice will be helpful in combating WDs and support for this addiction.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: How many pills (narcotics) a day make u an addict?

Hi, welcome to the boards, hope you can find the help and support that your looking for here. Okay for starters, being on a set "number" of pills a day doesn't make you and addict. Some people may take 20 pills a day and not be an addict...

You can look all over the internet and find many different definitions of a "drug addict", but it's pretty simple. If your taking pills (narcotics or opiods) on a daily basis for the euphoric feeling that they give you (the high); perhaps you were prescribed them for a medical condition that you legitimately needed them for at one time, but you don't anymore, but you still keep taking them because you just like the way they make you feel. If you have a compulsion to obtain more and more pills or increase the dose that you take each day because you don't get the desired effect anymore....these are the signs of being a drug addict....it really doesn't have much to do with how many pills you take a day.

A couple questions for you...do you still have pain and actually need the narcotics? Have you talked with your Dr. about a plan to stop the meds? Do you have some kind of support system in place to help you during the detox and withdrawal phase?

Your not on a very strong dose, so that's one good thing. But meds like narcotics should not be stopped cold turkey, it's best to taper them down and then quit. That way your body is not just thrown into instant withdrawal from not having the drug in your system anymore. There are some examples of tapering programs in the Stickies at the top of this page. Generally you just interject space between taking your pills, i.e. right now you take 3 a day, so you might go down to 2 a day, do that for 7 - 10 days, then do 1 a day for 7 - 10 days, then do 1 every other day for 7 - 10 days, then 1 every 3 days for 7 - 10 days and by that time you should be able to try and stop taking them all together. Now tapering will not get rid of the withdrawal symptoms all together, but it will greatly reduce them....you may still have some shakiness, stomach issues (nausea, diarhea) achiness, restless leg syndrome (that feel like you've got to get up and move or your going to jump out of your skin feeling!) so it's good to have things on hand to deal all this stuff, such as pepcid, immodium, advil, Gatorade, water, crackers, soup, sprite, etc. Taking really hot baths can help alot, going out for walks, keeping yourself well hydrated, eat, and have a couple of friends or family members lined up to be your support system, because you'll need it.

I guess these are the main things.....Like I said if you read the Stickies at the top of the page, there is a ton of helpful information. Hang in there, and yell if you need to talk.

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

girl80902 HB User

Thank you so much for your response. I do take them for medical reasons. I had a hysterectomy last month and prior to that I had colon cancer. They found all this out after the birth of my son 19 months ago. I was admitted to the ICU for 5 days due to a purferation in my sigmoid colon. I don't feel I need them everyday so I don't take them when I don't need them. I do just fine for 2 days but after the 48hr mark my lower back (same area they did surgery) starts to hurt really bad then that ends up giving me a headache plus I have a runny nose. I tried just taking Motrin for my back and Excederine Migrain for my headach but it doesn't seem to help much, so I'm thinking this is a WD thing but it happens kinda late compared to other people I've read about. Its hard for me to tell what is what here since I do have medical issues. I did stop taking them last month for 8 days and I remember having mild WD (I think) but was on a much higher dose and more often since that was just after my last surgery. I'm going to test out this therory starting tomorrow. I'm just going to stop taking them and make sure I'm drinking tons of water and eating good along with my vitamins/supplements and see where this goes. I'm just confused as to if I'm having WD why does it start 2 days later? Thank you for your help and advice.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey Girl

Just chiming in for good wishes and a couple of thoughts here. :-)

When and if we start taking the pain meds to deal with emotional issues rather than just for pain, we can know we have turned the corner from dependency to addiction.

Whether dependent or addicted, we all go through the same withdrawal symptoms. The symptom that is least useful, in my opinion, when gauging our withrawal, is pain. When we withdraw, the brain will send out pain signals looking for its dose of opiate. Usually starts in our backs. I don't think we can really differentiate true pain and wihdrawal pain as we come off the narcotic.

Kat's plan of withdrawal is a good one. Cold turkey can be rough, really rough. Ther is a good thread on this board, the second one, titled, "Sample Home Detox," with great recommendations that can be used in either type of withdrawal.

Wishing you well, stay in touch
Hugs
reach

Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
(female)

girl80902 HB User

Thank you for all the replies. I'm going to do the taper down method. I think that will work best. I know I do not want another perscription no matter what. I'm tired of playing this game. I've made sure I'm taking my vitamins an eating meals (before I would not eat because the pills made me feel like I could get stuff done fast, honestly I think the hardest part is getting into a habit of eating again and feeling like its ok to do so). I just don't want these pills in my house anymore....to tempting to take them. I hope I don't end up with WD but I guess that's the price I'll have to pay in order to get off this stuff. I'll try the 1/2 pill taper and see how that works for me.

Thank you all again. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: How many pills (narcotics) a day make an addict?

Okay, well actually the half life of Vicodin is only 4 hours, Vicodin is a very short acting opiate.
Kat

Last edited by mod85; 01-28-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Girl80902,

Good job on the deciding to taper, cold turkey would have been a witch! Try to eat several small meals each day as opposed to 3 large ones, it will make it easier on you, than trying to force yourself to consume those 3 large meals. You said you were planning to do the 1/2 pill taper, but didn't say what your plan was for time length in between pills, do you have a plan worked out? If not, you need to work out a plan before you begin your taper and stick to that plan.

Good luck and hang in there.

Kat

Closed Thread