It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
(female)

succotash HB User
Day one of doctor approved ativan wean

yay!!!!

I've been on benzos for 7+ years, and i'm sure this has helped my anxiety, but it also has disabled my natural coping skills and might have even made me MORE anxious?

So I am off ativan and will start taking diazipine (sp??).

Bring on the goods.

I'm looking forward to seeing how I cope with things once off these drugs. I might even feel!!! I usually don't feel anything and I think ativan might have a part in this?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
(female)

whirlgirl8 HB User
Re: Day one of doctor approved ativan wean

Quote:
Originally Posted by succotash View Post
yay!!!!

I've been on benzos for 7+ years, and i'm sure this has helped my anxiety, but it also has disabled my natural coping skills and might have even made me MORE anxious?

So I am off ativan and will start taking diazipine (sp??).

Bring on the goods.

I'm looking forward to seeing how I cope with things once off these drugs. I might even feel!!! I usually don't feel anything and I think ativan might have a part in this?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
(female)

whirlgirl8 HB User

what is diazapine? Is it valium? All anti anxiety meds are benzo diazapines so I would check with your doc to see exactly what he/she has prescribed.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
(female)

succotash HB User

valium. diazepam. (sp?)

she gave this to me bc it's longer acting than ativan....therefore will be easier to.....? I dont exactly know

Old 02-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

Hi Succotash! Welcome!
I can't remember which us the longest acting , but I guess your doctor's feeling is that Valium lasts longer so you will have to take less. But please keep in mind Valium is habit forming too. You dont wanna just be changing pills but keeping the problem the same, ya know?
Make sure to ask your doctor lots of questions so you know exactly what you are taking and the side effects. If you have trouble remembering all your questions at the appointment, write them down.
I have anxiety issues but I take Effexor. It works so well for me and it's an SNRI not a benzo. You could ask your doctor about other types of mess to help you? I take clonapin only when I have extreme anxiety/ panic attack, but my situation is well managed and I hardly need them, and I'm on a low effexor dose.
Keep in mind meds like Effexor are not a cake walk to come off of either, but it may be something to talk to the doctor about if you want benzos out of your life but still want/ need to treat your anxiety with medication.
Good vibes!
Wendy

The following user gives a hug of support to Wendy88:
nrthstargrl77 (02-24-2012)
Closed Thread