It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
keep relapsing alcohol and oxycodone

I have been in and out of AA so many times in the last 6 or 7 years. I can't make it a month w/o drinking. I have had 3 1/2 years and 10 years of sobriety in the past. I know the steps, I've worked them. Every time i get sober, i think I will stay that way. Istudied the big book, wrote about it, talked to my sponsor every day. I cannot count how many 5th steps I have done. I even went to 2 meetings a day for over a week. I relapsed after a meeting.

I have made the list of pro's and con's of drinking. I think part of the reason is that I have fun when I drink, and life is dull without it. I know the jargon of AA. I know i will get sober when i hit bottom, but when I'm at the jumping of point, when i can't imagine life with or with out it, I will stop for a few days and then start again.

Last night, I was going to have a shot of tequila, 2 beers and 2 mixed drinks. I ended up having 5 mixed drinks and am terribly hungover today. I'm just so tired of this.

and the percocet10/325. I quit for a long time, and now I'm back on it. I take 15 mg 4 times a day. and then i have to taper so i don't run out. Yesterday I had a runny nose all day from cutting my dose by 20 mg. I know that you're not supposed to mix tylenol with alcohol. I need to have my liver checked.

My husband takes the percocet and drinks too. I get them from my pain mgnt doc. i never run out. I've never been to anothe pain dr. or bought them on the street. We have so much fun when we drink. We listen to rock and dance and talk and laugh. But the hangovers are kinda bad sometimes. I don't black out or barf or anything like that.

I don't work. I don't drive drunk. I don't drink around people that think I'm sober. My life used to be an open book. Now I have secrets, like I'm 2 different people. I have also been to counseling, and they just tell me to go back to AA, that relapse is part of recovery, and to get back on the beam. But my friends that i got sober with have 20 or 22 years of sobriety. I would have 23 if would not have relapsed. And in AA, relapsing is really looked down upon. Stick with the winners they say, and I'm definitely not a winner.

Any advice?

The following user gives a hug of support to rosebuddy:
Phoenix (03-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: keep relapsing alcohol and oxycodone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebuddy View Post
I have been in and out of AA so many times in the last 6 or 7 years. I can't make it a month w/o drinking.

I have made the list of pro's and con's of drinking. I think part of the reason is that I have fun when I drink, and life is dull without it.

We have so much fun when we drink. We listen to rock and dance and talk and laugh.

Stick with the winners they say, and I'm definitely not a winner.

Any advice?
Hello rosebuddy,

As long as you associate alcohol and drugs with having fun,there will always be a problem.
What you mistake for fun is the false sense of security that drugs and alcohol can provide.

Accentuating the negatives and eliminating the "positives" may be necessary to help staying stopped.

The thing here to remember is that this is neither a race,game or raffle;this is life;your life,to live,love and enjoy.To laugh,cry and often times remain clueless,until a possible solution appears.

AA is fine for some and a bit much for others but the thing to remember here is that the purpose remains constant;whether or not one is a member......

It's about stopping and ways to maintain sobriety,which have been tried and deemed successful.

One saying I recall from the rooms is: "if it doesn't apply,let it fly."

Please take this into consideration when deciding what to incorporate into your specific plan of action, going forward.

Respectfully stated
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 03-01-2012 at 06:20 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Phoenix:
rosebuddy (03-01-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
rosebuddy (03-01-2012)
Closed Thread