It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

Reeny706 HB UserReeny706 HB User
?? about drinking problem & AA

I had my first appointment with a therapist tonight. She reccomended finding a meeting to go to. She thought that finding one with people in my age range and similiar background would help. IS there a way to find this out prior to attending? I would really prefer an online meeting but she doesn't think this would be enough support.
She also wants me to get a physical prior to stopping all drinking. She is worried that I may have a bad detox and wants me checked out first. Of course hearing that I came home and well you know.
My husband isn't too supportive right now. He thinks I should just stop and why is it so hard.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to Reeny706:
Phoenix (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
(male)

reallydone HB User
Re: ?? about drinking problem & AA

Hi There: You can go online and just search AA with you local city and a meeting schedule will come up. Just get to one and then you can find other meetings that will be for you. I was very scared to go but went anyway. It changed my life and I never took another drink and that was over 23 years ago. If I would have known then what I know now I would have went years earlier. Good luck....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeny706 View Post
My husband isn't too supportive right now. He thinks I should just stop and why is it so hard.
Hello Reeny706,

Sorry that your husband doesn't get it but it's not surprising.
It goes way beyond walking a mile in one's shoes.
The fact of the matter seems to be that he is clueless as to the nature of your addiction and has no real intent on trying to fully understand what you are going through,(which is unfortunate).

My father seems to be the same way;as if things are simply mind over matter...

With respect to age groups,in my opinion,it doesn't matter(unless there's something you're leaving out).
I have been to certain meeting that were filled with people my age,senior citizens only and a mixed bag at times.

The addiction is the common point that needs to be focused upon,not the age.Those older may possess the wisdom to help younger individuals and vice-versa...i've witnessed it.
Whether a beginners,open,closed or step meeting,know that they're all designed to help and will not turn you away.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
(male)

reallydone HB User

Ask your doc about AA and then go and investigate for yourself, it works.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-18-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Closed Thread