It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
(female)

maggielynn HB User
Looking for some support - trying to stop drinking

Hello all!

I am a mature, professional woman who has been consistently dealing with a drinking problem for a little more than a decade. I really want to kick this habit, but don't buy into the AA.

Has anyone found a solid, alternative method for kicking the habit? I could really use some advice from someone who has been there.

Thanks a million!

Last edited by mod85; 03-21-2012 at 10:05 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to maggielynn:
mm777 (04-07-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Looking for some support-trying to stop drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggielynn View Post
Hello all!

I am a mature, professional woman who has been consistently dealing with a drinking problem for a little more than a decade. I really want to kick this habit, but don't buy into the AA.

Has anyone found a solid, alternative method for kicking the habit? I could really use some advice from someone who has been there.
Thanks a million!
Hello maggielynn,

The truth of the matter is that a person has to be honest with themselves.
More often than not,a person will look at another's faults,as a way of disregarding theirs(not saying this is your case but simply making a generalization).

I implore you to look in the mirror and practice the concept of rigorous honesty.Face those demons head on and not evade them.Know that any urge you may have now or in the near future is just that;an urge and will pass eventually.

Being around positive people also helps and staying away from the people,places and things that you associate with drinking is paramount.

Respectfully
Phoenix

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
maggielynn (03-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User

I can understand not wanting to buy into AA but that really only leaves you to stop on your own.

I stopped 3 years ago simply because I had a reason to, my health. (problem with CNS) To me stopping drinking is like dieting only easier.

So focus on the reason you want to stop not on stopping and it will be natural.

I had to stop drinking, caffeine and sugar all at once but it was not hard because I had a reason.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Drinking unlike drug addiction does not require a slow taper...you just quit. No social drinking, no "just 1 glass of wine with the girls", nada. Not sure why your down on AA but is a time tested and proven way to quit drinking. One thing you will need is a support system when quitting any addiction you need a support system. Some docs will prescribe Naltrexone or Antabuse, these are meds that keep you from being able to drink alcohol. You can also go to an inpatient facility for a short term stay to detox from the alcohol withdrawals.

Good luck and hang in there.

kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
maggielynn (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
(male)

reallydone HB User

Hi There: I was embarrased to go to AA and had other reasons. Then I got really desparate because my life was getting worse and worse. I got to a place where I wanted to die because I couldnt imagine drinking and I couldnt imagine not drinking. I forced myself to go to the meeting since I was out of options. 23 yrs later I am still sober and wish I had gone sooner. There are a lot of different groups so try a few and I think you will find one that you are ok with.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
(male)

Alwaysdan HB User
Re: Looking for some support - trying to stop drinking

There's a book (and program) called Rational Recovery. Jack Trimpey is the author. The book helped me. Check it out. This guy is pretty much anti AA.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
(male)

mcleod9 HB Usermcleod9 HB User

from what i was told drinking is only a symptom of my problem.i also suffer from trying to be perfect and expecting people around me to be the same.they let me down every time.lol.resentments,thinking to much,being hurt easily and the list goes on.talking to professional would'nt hurt ,take up a hobby,exercise .just try and change your life.that saying" one day at a time" does help when times are tuff.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

mm777 HB User

Been there done that and wrote the sequel. Hated AA, not because they don't know alcoholics, just hate joining clubs.

I read 7 weeks to sobriety and tried it out. It worked. I relapsed. I tried it again, went a bit longer. Went to meetings off and on just to stay humble.

Alcohol problems, all psycho stuff aside, stem from sugar problems. I noticed (after learning from book) that every time I had an urge to drink I was also HUNGRY. When I ate, I lost the urge for a time. Of course it's a bit more complex than that, but thats the day to day stuff we live with constantly. After a year or two that stuff was nothing but a long gone dream. My system healed, the damage was repaired. I'm not a health nut either, I don't work out, smoke like a chimney, so if you add that stuff in you are well on your way. EAT HEALTHY and often. Start training yourself that every time you get an urge, you are having LOW sugar and need to EAT. Period.

Staying completely away from sugar helped tremendously. What do you see in AA? Sugar, caffeine, sugar, caffeine. Worst possible thing. AA hates this kind of talk so that's why I don't go to AA, if it works for you I'll drive you myself. Please, get the book and educate yourself and you will find a lot of stuff that makes sense. I email the author every year thanking her.

I've been sober 10 (oops missed the year) years and haven't been to a meeting in years, though I'd not have a problem attending and saying, "I'm an alcoholic". Get the book, read up and learn and enjoy your new future. No psycho babble I promise!

And I am a perfectionist, and I drank for _____ reasons. Fixing the reasons does NOT fix your urges because they are food/malnutrition based! You drink because you are a drunk, boozer, alcoholic. I thought I was the worst alky ever, took years to realize that nope, just garden variety drunk.
It's totally TOTALLY irrelevant why you started. I started after losing family member. I've lost several since stopping and didn't drink or even have an URGE. Fix the physical stuff then you can work on those "issues". I've never been happier, and I was 1-2 1/5th's of booze per day. No DUI's, regular problems that were always there before just masked over with drinking. I cry at movies, I laugh at funny stuff. Normal with misery here and there is way better than death.

Last edited by mm777; 04-07-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
(female)

hopefloats36 HB Userhopefloats36 HB User

Is your decade long drinking problem an alcohol addiction? That's a really important question for you to answer. Being honest with yourself is the easiest part of your journey. The day in and day out sobriety is the hard work. I don't think you'll get many responses to your question of is there a solid, alternative method to breaking the habit. But most will tell you there aren't many people who can tackle an addiction alone. You seem to want to quit drinking, but up to this point you've been unsuccessful I assume working at it alone. I'd encourage you to make an appointment with a good counselor who has extensive experience with addiction issues who can guide you towards sobriety and recovery. Give AA meetings a chance. The poster who suggested trying several groups is offering good advice. As with most everything...one size does not fit all. Itruely wish you the best of luck in your journey. It's never ever too late to change.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
(female)

Jacki93 HB UserJacki93 HB User

Hi Maggielynn

How is it going? I stopped drinking on 6th March because I had an operation and now, although I have recovered, I don't want to start drinking again. I also don't like the idea of going to AA meetings but, if you like, we can support each other.

Every evening when my husband has a drink, I have to stop myself having one as well. I just keep on telling myself that, for me, there is no such thing as one drink, it will be 3 or 4 and then soon I will be drinking every night. I feel better not drinking and I remind myself of that.

I had long periods of not drinking before (when I was pregnant x3) and, although I had a really good reason not to drink then, if I could do it then, I am sure I can do it again. However, then I knew there was an end to my periods of sobriety whereas now I am aiming to give it up for good, much more difficult!

Clare

Closed Thread