It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

Reeny706 HB UserReeny706 HB User
Drinking problem and socializing???

So I haven't quit drinking just yet but I hope to soon. I'm wondering how you deal with or attend family events, when everyone else is drinking. I know I should go to a metting but I'm not ready for that yet. How doyou not drink when most others are?
How do you handle the fact that you husband doesn't get why you need to stop completly?
I'm now seeing what a viscious cycle I've been on, for at least 10years.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Drinking problem and socializing???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeny706 View Post
So I haven't quit drinking just yet but I hope to soon. I'm wondering how you deal with or attend family events, when everyone else is drinking. I know I should go to a metting but I'm not ready for that yet. How doyou not drink when most others are?
How do you handle the fact that you husband doesn't get why you need to stop completly?
I'm now seeing what a viscious cycle I've been on, for at least 10years.
Hello Reeny706,

First of all,let me thank you for your honesty because this is one of the traits you will need to embrace;rigorous honesty.
There are times we may be able to pull the wool over other's eyes but what truly counts is that person's reflection when you look into the mirror.
You and your husband are in two entirely different places with respect to drinking and that's alright(for now).we can't expect everyone to understand our intentions just because we are either considering or discontinuing use of our substance of choice.

As to the question of one not drinking around others that are;well,it has to do with placing things in the right perspective.If alcohol has become more of a hindrance in your life,than anything else,you need to hang onto the correlation between the two and what happens to you when you partake of said drink.

If you haven't suffered enough through drinking,or haven't located your bottom(that true turning point that one can reflect upon)as of yet,then you have to embrace the notion that your life will be better if or when you stop.

The first step begins with contemplation and that forms into ideas and the ideas,into solid concepts and once the solid concepts seem tangible enough in one's mind,then the real work can begin.

Respectfully stated,
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 03-26-2012 at 02:26 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Pacifier (08-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks Phoenix. I think with most of what you said this part really speaks to me.

The first step begins with contemplation and that forms into ideas and the ideas,into solid concepts and once the solid concepts seem tangible enough in one's mind,then the real work can begin.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Thanks Phoenix. I think with most of what you said this part really speaks to me.
Reeny706,

I try;that's all I can do and you're welcome.

I hope one day you'll be able to post on this board that you've decided to quit and are taking active measures to do so.

No pressure;in your own time.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 03-26-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
(female)

Tomorrow is my day.I went to my Dr today. She gave me a Rx for vitamins. I decided that tonight is my last night. Tomorrow I start a new chapter in my life. I'm scared to death. I hope I have the strength for this.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Tomorrow is my day.I went to my Dr today. She gave me a Rx for vitamins. I decided that tonight is my last night. Tomorrow I start a new chapter in my life. I'm scared to death. I hope I have the strength for this.
Reeny706,

If tomorrow you wake up and are committed to the cause,know that we'll be here for you.
You're definitely worth it.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Closed Thread