It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

lillady84 HB User
tryin to go from using to sober

Hi everyone. I am new here and this message board is really great! I never realized how many people struggle with the same issues. I have been addicted to opiates for almost 5 years. I am a functioning addict. I really wanna quit but I dont know how to do it without it interrupting my life. I know about withdraws and I know I wont b able to attend work once I start. Unfortunatly I dont have the option of taking any time off work and I cant afford to lose my job. Im so frustrated cuz I really really wanna quit I want my life back but idk what to do since i cant just lay around for 3 days till the worst is over. If neone has been in this situation or knows what steps I should take to do this so it dosent interfer w my job please let me know. Im scared to try and make the transition from using to sober.

The following 5 users give hugs of support to: lillady84
Arianna2 (04-04-2012), icehouse3z (04-07-2012), mcleod9 (04-04-2012), Phoenix (04-17-2012), reachout (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

Arianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB User
Re: tryin to go from using to sober

Lillady84, I am certainly no expert on this, I am going through detox from Oxy right now. But one thing I think I know, if you try to do it cold turkey and think that the worst will be over in 3 days and you will be fine and ready to go back to work, might be a big mistake. If you cant take off work, your best bet would be to do it very very very slowly. You didnt get there in a day, so it wont matter if it takes longer than 3 days to get out of it. And you will feel better too. This is only my opinion, but I think many on here will tell you the same things. The slower the better for a good recovery, and a successful one. Good luck to you. My prayers go out to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: tryin to go from using to sober

Hi lillady84

Welcome to the board. :-) It is a great place to learn and to find support as you move towards a restored life without the drugs.

I am going to be straight up with you... there is no way to withdraw after 5 years without the withdrawal interrupting your life. When we decide to make the effort to find sobriety, we need to go into it with eyes wide open and a plan in place for withdrawal and for aftercare.

That said, I would suggest you consider a very slow withdrawal schedule. Make a cut of only 5% from one dose. Stay there for a week to 10 days. Then make a cut from another dose, again only 5% and stay put for a week. ( It would help if we knew what drug, how much, and how often per day). Making cuts like this will, at times, involve crushing pills and eyeballing the cut. Save the crumbs for future doses.

Research breathing techniques and such that will help with the inevitable anxiety. The techniques will help you through and be great tools to add to your arsenault in fighting the addiction. It helped me a great eal to look at each symptom not as a symptom of withdrawing, but rather a symptom of getting better. I had a manta from my doctor... "Every day I am getting better and stronger." I repeated it constantly in my mind and aloud until it was firmly embedded in my brain.

Aftercare.... so many of us withdraw only to relapse because we have not put aftercare into place. This board is great, I love it, but we also need live, 3D support. Whether it be private counseling, AA or NA meetings, we do not succeed on our own. It just doesn't happen. For me, a private Clinical Social worker provided my very best live resource. I had a lot of grief and hurt stuffed down inside of me that I had to face and acknowledge before I could get better and she helped me with that. All addicts are hiding from something that is painful and we self medicate to help us hide. In the end, it is a waste of our time as it ALWAYS catches up with us anyway. My family doctor was also a huge help with the physical part of withdrawal. I worked out a tapering plan with him and, when necessary, we tweaked it together.

We each need to follow the plan most suitable for us personally. Whatever that may be, it needs to be a thorough one. While I tapered, others go cold turkey. Be aware though, that going cold turkey is NOT just 3 days and all is better. Perhaps the worst of the diarreha will pass, but not restless legs and no way the depression. It is more that the severity of feeling like we have been hit by a mack truck starts to recede a bit.

I know how scary this all is. Fear is the biggest factor for all of us as we try and think about life withour the drugs. Funny thing is for us that once we have accomplished it, our only regret is that we have not done it sooner. :-)

Hoping you will stick around and try to work out a thorough plan for you. we will all walk alongside of you.
With all hope
reach

The following user gives a hug of support to reachout:
Phoenix (04-17-2012)
Closed Thread