It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Cind X447 HB User
Addiction/anger combo

I am needing help with something. My last addiction. I've been on illicit street drugs since 9, thanks to my "father". By the time I was adult, I had broken free of several addictions.

The problem I am now having is that I also have anger issues, and these issues are manifesting as I try to quit smoking. Anger has driven me to self injury, (I am being candid about this...) depression and public breakdowns.

I really do not know how to conquer smoking without the anger becoming intolerable.

My current idea is to walk this trail (22 miles, total) in order to quit. But the weather has remained nasty, and that isn't helping. Even though I haven't quit, yet (not making concerted effort), it's still taking a toll on me.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-06-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Addiction/anger combo

I don't think that there is an addict alive who doesn't find that, when they try to go off their substance of choice, anger is one of the emotions that comes up. Isn't that why we go toward the addiction to begin with, to lessen pain?
I think that you should strive for stopping smoking very, very slowly. Maybe you should even help yourself by wearing a nicotine patch. In my opinion, forcing yourself to do a marathon walk is not going to help you quit. This doesn't have to be "all or nothing".
Be gentle with yourself.

The following user gives a hug of support to slenderella:
Phoenix (04-10-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
Cind X447 (04-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
(male)

mcleod9 HB Usermcleod9 HB User
Re: Addiction/anger combo

i found to quit smoking exercise was #1.i took those angry feelings out on the gym.the withdrawl was 1 week .dizzy,angry,feeling crappy and the second week was thinking about smoking a lot.after the 2 weeks i found it was over.chewing gum also helped.good luck

The following user gives a hug of support to mcleod9:
Phoenix (04-10-2012)
Closed Thread