It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

Jacki93 HB UserJacki93 HB User
No drink since 6th March 2012

Hello

I had an operation on my ear on 8th March and, therefore, decided not to drink afterwards because I was worried about feeling dizzy and worrying about my ear (I wasn't prescribed antibiotics and the surgeon hadn't told me not to drink).

I normally drink more than the recommended limit practically every night of the week and have been worrying about it. Now, my ear has healed but I don't want to start drinking again because I know that I can't stop once I start and will soon end up drinking too much again.

I have been drinking quite a lot of non-alcoholic beer because I like the taste and it is difficult not to touch the real thing when the flat has lots of alcohol in it, which my husband drinks.

Has anyone got any advice as to how I can stop myself from starting drinking again?

Clare

Old 04-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

MrAK HB UserMrAK HB User
Re: No drink since 6th March 2012

For me personally knowing the fact that there are ZERO benefit of drinking is enough to stop me. It does more damage than good to your body. It produces candida, estrogen and many other deleterious things in you. It clogs the mind...I mean I can go on forever. Just know this...You Only Have 1 Life To Live So Live Well.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrAK For This Useful Post:
Jacki93 (04-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
(male)

mcleod9 HB Usermcleod9 HB User

i know for myself once I have one I want it all.I had to change my life and get rid of the drinking friends to beat the booze.I have to watch everyday for triggers that can make me want to drink.I have quit drinking over two years one day at a time.A good friend who understands my drinking problem or a support group really helps.When i have felt like drinking my friend could make me feel better and the want to drink would go away just by calling him.A good support group can do the same.The gym really helps also.Theres so much to learn.

The Following User Says Thank You to mcleod9 For This Useful Post:
Jacki93 (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
(female)

Jacki93 HB UserJacki93 HB User

Hello mcleod9

I know what you mean about not just having one drink but wanting it all. When I open a bottle of wine, it is very difficult for me to stop before it is all gone. I never used to go out drinking that much, however, because I have 3 small children. My problem was drinking after they were all in bed and then passing out on the sofa instead of going to bed properly, not a nice thing to do. I also worry that if anything happened to one of my kids in the middle of the night, i.e. they were ill, I would have been unable to drive them to the hospital. I just need to keep on reminding myself of this.

Clare

Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
(male)

Jayjay3irty1 HB User

A very close family friend goes to AA and studies things like buddha, peace of mind type stuff, and found a passion to keep his mine busy, games/hobbys to mess with. He also does some schooling. I quit an addiction and I followed a similar path.

The trick is enrich yourself and keep busy but not just with anything, something that feels rewarding so you know if you do drink you will jeopardize all you have. I use to have problems with addiction but I have found peace in building a life outside and away from that addiction.

Find something you do that you want to be the best at, find something that is rewarding to do, then find something that you can do when your lazy or that can completely kill time like a game or hobby.(even if its nerdy and won't get you any friends doing it) I relapsed one day and the addiction felt strong still after I did it for a while but I did not relapse more because I had these things to consider.

A lot of people have trouble cause when they quit all they do is obsess over it. They don't know what they like or what to do otherwise. Find that and reading some philosophy material gives you your own idea of the right direction.

A lot of times after quitting nothing will seem to satisfy for sometime but the main idea is to try something and don't put to much pressure on yourself. Try new things, have something to do when you are really bored and tired because when you stop addictions that happens much more often and also learn something that can make you money, make you friends, or some type of skill that will help you kill time in the future.

Nothing ever takes that feeling away, I would dream about going back to my addiction but I am now in a place where I know if I did it I would lose everything and it keeps me and straight minded.

I hope I have helped, even a little. Remember...Patience....It truly is a virtue, and for addicts, being comfortable with silence comes after doing something, not from sitting and waiting for sanity to knock on the door.

Last edited by Jayjay3irty1; 04-10-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: extra word was needed plus some grammar checks

Old 04-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
(female)

amiisane HB User

Hi Clare,

Do not drink non-alcoholic beer. if you are going to give up alcohol, do it fully. if you half ***, you will most likely pick up the bottle. It will take you down.

From experience, I would recommend getting help for your issue. You most likely suffer from the disease of alcoholism/addiction. Try AA. I love it. you get out what you put in.

Closed Thread