It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User
Need advice on quitting, what to tell the Dr...

Howdy to all, I sat here the other day and whined out a post on my "Downward Spiral" that began 2 years ago after giving in to alcohol after 21 years sober from it, then getting hooked back on Vicodin after 4 years of no opiates (had taken them for years for chronic pain). I could never, ever take a pain pill and drink any alcohol together until I got back on them this time. That combo is a rattlesnake, both mixing them and trying to stop them. It got where the Vicodin would wear off and I'd take another, by the late afternoon, I'd be getting "shaky" from the Vicodin wearing off, hands and arms, legs would spasm, I could feel my face getting tighter, jaw clenching, so here comes the beer. It soothed the shakiness so it very quickly got back like it was 21 years ago, the old 12-pack a night to quell Vicodin shakes, would take a half a Vic 3-4 more times until bed, get up next day with great pain and difficulty and take the Adderall and Prozac for my ADHD (that has plagued me since I was a kid but went undiagnosed until I was 40), 1-2 Vicodin, eat a bite and wait for the pain to be eased by the meds, and get through work aided by pain pills. After work, the beer. I hate living like this, but I'm seeing a Dr. at the local clinic Monday and was thinking about how to go about asking for help. Going into rehab is not an option at this point, I help my Fiance' who is going through some Physical Rehab and recovering from surgeries, keep house and tend to her adult disabled child. I'm anxious and scared at the same time. This Dr. is pretty hard-nosed, don't want to even tell him, but if anyone has advice on anything I can do from home, I'm all ears. I remember AA, that never helped me, nothing against it, mind you, but with so many things out there, what to do, where to start? Thank you, JB

Last edited by Jackbeanstalk; 04-14-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Need advice on quitting, what to tell the Dr....

Well the best way to get off of narco is to do a slow taper and wean them out of your system...it makes the WD symptoms not so bad and you can still function and live your life while your detoxing, don't get me wrong, you've have times where you feel like complete crap but you can get through it. Your problem is you've got multiple addictions going on and it sounds like your in a high stress living situation. The best way to handle it with your doc or and doc is just to be truthful. Tell him where your at, what your doing, that you want to stop and why you want to stop and ask him for his help. Just don't go in to your appointment with a whole load of BS...they tend to see right through that and it just irritates them. Be yourself, be honest, and ask for help, that's about all you can do for a first step, see what advice he gives you and how he can help you.

Good luck,
Kat

Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User
Re: Need advice on quitting, what to tell the Dr...

Thank You Kat, I shall try, I'll be going after while to see him and you're right about the no BS. I hope you get over your "sad mood", JB

Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbeanstalk View Post
with so many things out there, what to do, where to start? Thank you, JB
Hello JB,

What Kat said is spot on and with respect to the alcohol,try to remember the driving force behind you quitting the first time.It's time to re-acquaint yourself with all the negativity that went along with drinking,as you have already realized it's a downward spiral.

This stroll down memory lane isn't for everyone but as you wanted alternatives,I thought that this would be an ideal place to start.

It's not so much about getting down on yourself for past transgressions but effectively putting into perspective specific situational behaviors that initiated and strengthened your spiral.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 04-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
(male)

Thanks Phoenix, that's an interesting thought you gave me, about the reasons for stopping the first time. I saw the Dr. yesterday to go over my labwork, have developed High Blood Pressure and a Thyroid problem. She put me on Synthroid and wants to do some Hormone testing. I told her about drinking beer every night, she didn't even say anything except it may not help the BP, mentioned the other meds I'm on, she said little, makes me twitchy when they don't say nothing hardly. I will tell everyone this for sure: If you quit for a long time and start back up, it's twice as hard to control (with me, anyway). I'll keep it going forward until I get this licked, it stinks being out of control, JB

Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbeanstalk View Post
I will tell everyone this for sure: If you quit for a long time and start back up, it's twice as hard to control (with me, anyway). I'll keep it going forward until I get this licked, it stinks being out of control, JB
JB,

The rule of thumb is that one picks up where they left off and it only progresses from there.

Everything begins and ends with you at this point.
You need to grab the bull by the horns and be prepared metaphorically to hold on for dear life.

Your quality of life depends on it.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hey Jack,

Well I read what you posted about your dr. visit. You said you "mentioned" to your doc that you drank beer each night and you were taking "XX" meds. And the doc didn't say much. I have to ask...did you point blank tell your doc that you are abusing the pills, taking more than prescribed, or even that they may not be prescribed anymore? Did you tell her that your an alcoholic? You can't just go in and blandly say, "Oh yeah, I drink beer at night and I'm taking these meds, and expect a Dr. to know you have a problem. If you really want to get these problems under control and get your health under control, you need to be straight up with your Doc and get off the Drugs and Booze. And if you go back and do that and she doesn't offer to help you, then you need to go to a different Dr.

Take care,

Kat

Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
(male)

ghal HB User

Jack,
The bottom line is, do you want to quit or not? If you do, you need to be prepared to do whatever it takes. You say you can't go to rehab, etc but what good will you be to those you are helping when you end up dead from alcohol and pill addiction. When you are ready to put your sobriety first, you will do whatever you have to. I would suggest you go see a DR you are comfortbale with and you tell them the absolute truth about your addiction. Tell them that you have been afraid to tell them and that you are worried about getting help, etc. If that Dr has one bit of worth they will get you the help you need. The help is out there but you have to want it.
PS. When I told my Dr the truth he laughed. He knew all along and was waiting for me to come to him. They can't help us of we don't want it.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
(male)

Thanks guys, it sure helps to hear stuff from folks that have been there, who else would know better than those who been down that road. I see a Psych-Dr. at the Mental Health Clinic for the ADHD and PTSD, my next appointment is soon. I'll lay it out to her. I am ready to get a life, ya'll are right. How can I serve those I love best at half-speed? Thank you all, JB

Old 04-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
(female)

amiisane HB User

Since you are an alcoholic, which is an addiction, taking an addictive drug (any narcotic, Nyquil, etc), is a bad idea. The disease is just waiting for something else to take you down.

Get some support, people have gone through what you are.

What didn't you like about AA?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
(male)

I have ADHD and somewhat claustrophobic, I tried to go to several different ones and I just didn't "get it". I praise AA for the many it has helped, it's just not for everyone. NO OFFENSE to anyone, but AA seemed to be making me feel...well, it just never took with me. Instead, I checked myself into a rehab facility, stayed one day, and was so mortified, I drank one more time a few months later and got sick as crap. That was the last drink for 21 straight years before we got hit by that toxic mold. I drank to try and "feel better", but it just compounded stuff. I am seeing a Dr. this month about some treatment options, I can't believe how quick I got back to where I was 21 years ago.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Jack,

From today until the day that you see your pdoc, tell yourself everyday several times a day that you are quitting the drugs and alcohol, give yourself reaffirmations everyday until that appointment, don't give yourself a moment of doubt or second thoughts. Get it in your mind that your going to come clean and honest with your doc and your willing to do whatever they suggest to get healthy and free yourself from these addictions. It may sound a little silly, but the psychiatric side of fighting your addictions is half the battle.

Take care and hang in there.

Kat

Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
(male)

Thanks, Kat, I am sick of feeling like this, I have lost and wasted too much time trying to "feel better" with self-medicating. I never dreamed it would get so hard to feel good about life. There's nothing but more pain physically and mentaly, waking up every day, taking meds and vitamins and waiting for an hour just to be mobile. Now, instead of feeling good, I barely make it to the bathroom each morning because of intestinal trouble, my blood pressure is high for the first time in my life (57 years), I dry-heave for 20 minutes or so when I first get up, and they just started me on Thyroid meds. I'm scared I went too long without going to a Dr., I just saw the first one a few months ago after 10 years of not seeing any. They cost more than I can pay, although I was blessed with being accepted at the free clinic. I hope it's not too late, thanks to all, JB

Closed Thread