It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User
Unhappy Really really want and NEED to quit drinking, but scared

I know I drink way more than I should, but last week I had blood work done. My AST was 153 my ALT was 74 and my ALP was within normal range of 79. My doctor said I really need to make some lifestyle changes...I agree. But I am scared. I know I would feel better as far as health and energy, but the withdrawls are what I am scared of. Any input on coping with withdrawls would be greatly appreciated. My Best Friend go a DUI 3 weeks ago, got arrested etc....and that was her last drink...that was her wake up call. My health is mine!

Here's a little info about me..I am a 36 year old stay home mom of 3. Been drinking for about 10 years...not heavily until about a year ago. Now I consume about 5 glasses of wine a day....on the weekends hubby and I drink whiskey... I am tired of waking up feeling like crap...the only thing that makes me feel better is drinking....vicious cycle.

I have heard that withdrawls is like a hangover. Sweats, tired, shakey etc...lasting for a few days if not longer.

Thanks in advance for ANY replies!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Really really want and NEED to quit drinking, but scared

Well you've made the right decision but it's not an easy one, you have to be ready to fight this fight and win.

Alchohol withdrawals or DT's are a lot more than a hangover. Alcohol is classified as "Sedative-Hypnotic", as such they have a strong propencity to induce psychological dependance and the psychological aspect can be far more difficult to beat than the physical aspect. Getting the thought out of your mind that you need to drink can take months and most likely you'll be tempted for the rest of your life. You won't ever be able to take a drink again, not even just one at a social occasion.

The physical signs of withdrawal can include Agitation, Anxiety and panic attacks, Tremors, Depression, Diarrhea, Nausea and vomiting, Headache, Hypertension, Fever, Insomnia, Irritability, Headaches, Palpitations, Restlessness, Seizures, Sweating, Tachycardia, Loss of Appetite and Weakness.

It doesn't mean that you'll automatically have all of those symptoms, but you need to know what is possible and be prepared. Withdrawals can last anywhere from 7 days to a month or more, it just depends on the person, their body chemistry, health, how much they drank, how long, etc. There is no way to tell how long you will have withdrawals.

Having a support group and people who are going through the same thing you are can be a great help when your detoxing. AA helps many people, seeing a therapist helps some people, you have to find what works for you. Don't kid yourself, this isn't like getting over a hangover and in a few days you'll be fine....it is a battle and you'll be battling for quite a while. BUT, it is definitely worth it.

Hang in there,

Kat

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
candyheart (04-30-2012), Marriedguy (04-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

mamma,

Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking! I quit 20 years ago, I was drinking every night, had the tremors, had horrible hangovers every morning and had to start drinking earlier and earlier every day to get rid of the horrible feelings! I was drinking about 1/2 gallon or cheap wine a night, sometimes with beer, with hard liquor. I started drinking mostly at home so I didn't have to drink and drive. I did that enough and am lucky I never killed someone or got into an auto accident.

I went to an after work rehab for a month, my company insurance paid 100% of it and it helped tremendously. Do you have any resources like this?

Good luck, have you quit yet?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

SannyBelle...I drink just too feel normal. I hate it. Surely you used to feel this way. Scared of the withdrawl symptoms.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

By the way...I have not quit yet. Want to though!

The following user gives a hug of support to mommaoftwinsplus1:
SanyBelle (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

I drank because that was the thing to do after work, at parties, etc. I was 36 when I quit drinking too. The withdrawals weren't too bad because I didn't have time to feel/experience them all that much - I was at work from 8am-5pm then at the after work rehab from 5pm to 9pm and on Saturdays from 8am-noon. Oh I sure remember the shakes and the cravings for weeks, months?? but not having hangovers every day sure made up for that!

Sometimes I am out with friends and wish I could just have that one drink, but I know I can't. I don't understand how/why people can stop at one or two, I sure couldn't and still can't I would guess. One drink didn't make me feel normal, it made me want a second, a third and tenth, etc! I didn't stop until I passed out and that was every night. Oh those horrid hangovers, they were the worst!!

You will quit when you are ready or when you reach your bottom. Just please don't drink and drive!

The following user gives a hug of support to SanyBelle:
Phoenix (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sany Belle....Thank you for your responses. I know it's not gonna be easy to quit, but I know I will feel so much better in the long run. I know when my Mom quit drinking she had a sparkle in her eyes....and looked so much younger. Full of energy. I just need to prepare myself for the WD's. Any advice on how to deal with them. I have a dr appt. in 3 weeks...I will talk to her about meds that may help.

The following user gives a hug of support to mommaoftwinsplus1:
Tysmom1 (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Tysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB User

Hi there! My doc is opiates so I am inexperienced in alcohol dt's. HOWEVER, addiction is addiction and I am so glad and so supportive to you for making the right decision! Good luck and hang in there!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
(female)

Reeny706 HB UserReeny706 HB User

I'm in the same place you are right now, age and all. I thought I would be able to just stop drinking but that only lasteda week and a half. I have been drinking about 9 beers a night for at least 5 years. Thankfully for the short time that I stopped I didn't have the physical withdrawl. The psycological part is alot harder for me. I wish you the best in your quest to be sober.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reeny706 For This Useful Post:
mommaoftwinsplus1 (04-30-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I know that your scared of the withdrawals when you quit drinking, but think carefully before asking your Dr. about meds to help. Any prescription meds that he will give you will generally be psych meds of some sort and they will have addictive properties. Your already prone to addictions.

Trying to cure an addiction by taking another addictive substance is not really a good idea.

Kat

Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
(male)

KennyD1 HB UserKennyD1 HB User

Hey Momma,

I think you can do it !!!

Ken

Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
(female)

Tulip21 HB UserTulip21 HB User

Have you ever tried to taper down your nightly drinking?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
(female)

How did your mother quit? Did she go to rehab or AA?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #14
(female)

gothling HB User

Have you tried to quit before and had the DT's ? if so was it after a night of heavy drinking?, 5 glasses a night isnt that much, I don't think, maybe you wont suffer that much if you try while you are not drinking to excess. I drank more than that and gave up with no withdrawal symptoms at all and feel much better for it, for me, after a few days I forgot about drinking all together

Old 05-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #15
(female)

Depends upon the size of the wine glass - to some people, a glass of wine is equivalent to a bottle.

Closed Thread