It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
(female)

jilas0127 HB Userjilas0127 HB Userjilas0127 HB User
Question Norco Withdrawl... not quite a addict yet...

Superbowl weekend I tore my meniscis and ACL. I was given 7.5/325 norco. For about a month I took probably 4 - 6 a day (mostly just 4). On March 15 I had knee surgery and was given the same post op. Here it is 4-23 and I'm still taking the pain med because I like how I feel, and not so much for pain. The amount I have been taking is slowly creeping up on me. In the past 1.5 - 2 weeks, I've taken 120. I guess averaging 10 - 14 a day? not sure, haven't done the math. Anyway, my ex husband is an addict. I know how bad this gets. Its time for me to STOP now before this gets out of hand. Today is day one. My question, since it's only been a few months, and high dosage has only be the past 2 weeks or so, how bad is this going to be? How long? Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to jilas0127:
monoxide (04-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
(female)

monoxide HB User
Re: Norco Withdrawl.... not quite a addict yet...

Hello there,
Looks like you and I are going through the same thing. I am halfway through day 2 .... I am glad that I am not the only one going through this. Hopefully you and I can encourage each other to keep strong anf keep going. My first day wasn't too bad. Some stomach irritability, lethargy, post nasal drip.... Today I am having a hard time going back to sleep. My muscles feeling like I've been hit by a truck. Keep drinking water anf keep your chin up. Just know that you are not alone !!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to monoxide:
jilas0127 (04-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
(female)

how long were you taking them? About 2 1/2 months?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
(female)

monoxide HB User

Well I started July 11 .... Almost a year

Old 04-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
(female)

wow... kuddos to you. I'm just really scared. I saw my ex go thru withdrawl and it was not a pretty sight. He's used for years and years though. he is currently in an 8 month VA rehabilitation home for homeless/addict veterans. I'm hoping since I've only "dabbled" for a few months I won't have much withdrawl.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
(female)

monoxide HB User

Hopefully you don't.

*prayers*

I think it depends on a few things , how much you were taking, how long you were taking and how adjusted your body got to it.
I think we can both do it though...
How are you feeling today ?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
(female)

Well, yesterday morning I took 3 and that left 2 left. I was going to only take the one of the 2 if I had night restlessness. By 6pm I felt miserable I just wanted to sleep. I have a son that will be 3 next month, so he has ENERGY. I took my last two last night. This morning... I'm feeling "ok". I'm very tired and lathargic. I feel like I've got cold sweats or something and my body is kind of achy. My son is going to his dad's parents tomorrow night thru the weekend. If I can just get through today, tomorrow and Friday, I think I'll be ok. I can "try" to sleep during the weekend. Ug. I'm not looking forward to this.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
(female)

monoxide HB User

Omgoodness..... I have a son that is 17 months. I understand completely. I'm hoping the worse part of my wothdrawl is over by tomorrow, I have to work. Fingers crossed fir the both of us.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
(male)

Jakepod34 HB User
Re: Norco Withdrawl... not quite a addict yet...

About four years ago, I had a tibial rodding (which required my knee to be dislocated in order to get the rod through the med. cavity), screws put in place, and an osteotomy to fix an osteoid osteoma-stricken area and restructure my tibia due to constant fractures and stress. After the surgery, I was on oxycodone for the summer. Right away, I needed the medication because the pain was so intense, but I was still in my teens so I healed fairly quickly. However, the pain resided for about two months total...I had a 3-4 month supply of oxy though. After the pain was gone, I took the oxy anyway because of its 'good mood' factor. I became addicted over the course of just a few weeks, and forcing myself off the medication was extremely tough. I started withdrawing by only taking it once a day, then every other day, and then stopped. Yes, you are going to experience anxiety and irribility, but it is well worth a clear mind and reduced dependancy because it really does consume your life. Medication is supposed to administor to your needs...do not allow your needs to be administored by the medication.
The best of luck to you and just know that IT CAN BE DONE! Its tough, but in only a few days after withdrawing completely your attitude will get much better! I have great faith in anyone who is willing to stop allowing addiction run their life!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jakepod34 For This Useful Post:
monoxide (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
(female)

I am starting to feel worse as the day goes on. My musles are starting to feel restless and I'm starting to have a bit of an upset stomach. I just want to go to bed. I'm hoping when I lay down it will be a little better. Here we go......

Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
(female)

monoxide HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilas0127 View Post
I am starting to feel worse as the day goes on. My musles are starting to feel restless and I'm starting to have a bit of an upset stomach. I just want to go to bed. I'm hoping when I lay down it will be a little better. Here we go......
Prayers for you love. Remember you are not alone.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Jilas,

Norco, whose main med is hydrocodone is one of the lesser opiods and therefore not quite as bad as some of it's big brothers. You weren't taking it very long, but in the end there you were taking a pretty hefty dose. Generally the recommended way to get off prescription pain meds is to taper, so that you don't have to go through withdrawal, and it's safer, it allows your body time to easily adjust to the med not being there. But, you've stopped so, just go with it. There are some things you can do to ease the wd's. Stay hydrated constantly, try to keep some bland food in your stomach, nibble on crackers, bread or dry cereal, that will help with the nausea/vomiting/diarreah. Your going to have body aches all over, ibuprofen is good for those and it's safe, don't take tylenol, you've been taking large amounts of tylenol in the norco and that's bad for your kidneys/liver. Lot's of water will also help flush them out. Imodium is helpful for the diarhea, if that becomes a problem. If you have trouble sleeping there are several safe options, benadryl, melatonin, or valerian root. Hot, hot baths work well for the body aches and restless legs. If you do get the restless legs, don't try to sit still through them, most people think if you just force yourself to sit still it'll go away, it won't and you'll just drive yourself crazy. Get up, take a walk, get some fresh air. Try to take a few walks every day, just getting out of the house and in the fresh air will help with the general "feeling like crap". Once your lil guy is at gramma's, if your tired, sleep, the more you can sleep through the easier it is. By Monday you should be feeling much better, the worst of the wd's will probably be over. It can take a while for the legarthy, sleep issues, stomach issues to go completely away. Also the mental side of the addiction can last for a while, sometimes months...your mind will play games with you, try to convince you that you have to have the drugs....ignore it, keep yourself busy, don't create a lot of open space or time to sit around and think about it. You've got a toddler who I imagine is pretty active, so you probably don't have a ton of free time to sit around and that will be a good thing for you.

Your doing great, stay strong and hang in there. It's hard, but it will be so worth it in the end.

kat

Old 04-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
(female)

Thank you Katlin - My ex husband said he can give me a couple of strips of suboxone. and he said if I take a 1/4 strip twice a day for 4 days I'll feel better. Do you think it's a good idea? i do not know much about that medicine.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Personally, no I don't think it's a good idea. Your ex is in a totally different class of addiction than you. And Subs are not the kind of drug that you take for a few days and then stop. They are for hardcore addicts who can't detox and need a daily maintenance med, those people then become addicted to subs and either use them for years or have to detox off of them.

My philosophy has always been, "If your going to quit the pills, then QUIT the pills, don't trade one addiction for another. You tell yourself, Oh, I'm only going to use these for a few days just to help, but when you stop taking them all the same wd symptoms will be there waiting for you and you'll start the subs again, before you know it your addicted to a much stronger substance than you were in the first place."

This is going to really suck for a few days, I won't lie or sugarcoat it for you, but you seem to be determined and doing pretty well with it, hon just quit the pills. *smile* You can do this.

Hang in there,

Kat

Old 04-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
(female)

Well, you will be glad to hear I opted against it, for the exact reason you said. I'm going to tough it out. I don't "crave" them or feel like I have a "pchycological" addiction to them, honestly, i could take them or leave them. I just need to get through this "ick" feeling.

Closed Thread