It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

Kart88 HB User
suboxone and surgery in 6 days

Hello ,

First a little background. I was addicted to opiates for 10yrs and had 2yrs of complete sobriety. Things were great! Then 11 months ago I was in a racing accident and shattered my heel in 5 places. I woke up 5 pins, 4 screws, and a plate later and it was downhill from there. Pain was unbearable and doctors only prescribed for so long. . After a breif relapse I knew where it was heading and entered a suboxone program. It has been great!!

In February I was involved in another accident (not my fault) and reinjured my heel. Well I guess some screws had moved from the accident and now I need surgery to remove them. I informex my surgeon and my suboxone doctor about what was going on and my sub doctor said he would handle post op pain. After speaking with him his plan is to give me IV subutex at the surgical center then right back to my suboxone afterwards. Now I worry that I have been taking 8mg suboxone a day since the accident with no pain relief at all which is why this surgery has been scheduled. Now I don't quite understand how giving me the same thing I take daily.is supposed to help with pain associated with removing 4 screws from my heel.

Does this sound right?

I mean if I'm in excruciating pain afterwards what would I do as I currently will have an opiate antagonist in my system?

If anyone has any info on suboxone and surgery I would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: suboxone and surgery in 6 days

Basically at this point they can't give you pain meds. Your body would not react to them. The only way they could get your body to react to pain meds would be to take you off the Sub for several weeks prior to the surgery and get your system completely clear and unreliable of it. The problem still remains that once a person has been on longterm Sub therapy they have a good chance of overdosing on narcotic pain medicines because their body needs such a high dosage before it ever recognizes the efficacy of the med. Which is most likely what your Dr.'s are concerned with. Now, how they expect Subs to control post op pain is beyond me, because it just doesn't work. If I were you, I would have a very open discussion with your Dr.'s about how your pain is going to be controlled, how the drugs are going to work before you let them operate, because once they do it's too late your stuck with whatever they say they can do. Seriously, I've had 30 plus surgeries, most of them while on large amounts of narcotics daily, which make post op pain control almost impossible. I would not agree to an operation until you knew the pain control plan, and were convinced it was actually going to work.

Kat

Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
(male)

Kart88 HB User

I told my surgeon and sub doctor both, they agreed that my sub doctor would handle my post op pain. After my appointment with my surgeon and he said that all he planned to do was put me on IV subutex during procedure and then back on subxone after surgery. I am not comfortable with this.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
(male)

Kart88 HB User

I have since spoke with my sub doctor and DO NOT agree with his treatment. I did some research on my situation and the majority seem to think to go to a full opiate agonist 3-5 days before surgery then post op after surgeon stops pain meds to switch back to suboxone. I also have done some research on him as a doctor and find it a little disturbing he has lost his license in another state due to illegal dispensing and a substance abuse problem way worse then mine. I don't know of I trust another addict for my physiciand. Now I'm completley lost and don't know if I should even proceeded with this surgery. Although this pain has been what's caused my addiction and this is the only way to fix it and remove the trigger to use... damnit.....

Old 05-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I am so sorry, did not mean to disappear on you, took a little unexpected side trip in the hospital myself.

Anytime your going to have surgery it's a good idea to do a fair amount of research on your surgeon, you are putting your life in this guys hands. If your not comfortable with your current surgeon, and it honestly sounds like you have adequate reasons not to be, put off the operation and get a new surgeon that you trust. Unless your in for an emergent time limited life saving operation you have time to think and make an educated choice. Don't let pain be a motivator to make a bad decision, pain is a motivator, it's not a good one.

Kat

Old 06-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
(male)

tripodchris HB User

I was in a car wreck while on suboxone and they gave me toradol. I believe is what it is and it didn't help much at all but some relief at least while I continued on my normal suboxe routine. Look up toradol and see what you find about it . that might help

Closed Thread