It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
(female)

Msleahmichelle HB User
Wink Pregnant and addicted to opiates NEW

Hi I am pregnant and have became physically addicted to opiates and I have reviewed many of the threads for others going through this. I have done a lot of research and if your addiction is very um bad 8 or more pills a day to stay functionable than to withdrawal cold turkey would actually probably cause a miscarriage or some defect in itself, the baby feels everything your body does. A fetus at a young critical age can barely withstand your addiction more or less your detox, I don't know if detox drugs given at rehabs are safe for pregnancy but I know that if mother is in pain doctors will prescribe a pain killer without a lot of acetaminophen like norco or yellow v's I also read a comment that suboxen or subutex is healthier than the painkiller them selves as Long as u can taper the dosage by a month before child birth and usually the suboxen care provider will ask for monthly check ups and will monitor ur progress and ween u down properly. It's less expensive then opiates in the long run and is not a full opiod and Actually has proof that it heals the damage on the brain that causes the opiate addiction itself by repairing opiate receptors. Most addicts do not have the strength to taper down so you have to find someone willing to help u do it but if u really want to quit and taper down slowly please!!! You should go to the county rehabilitation center immediately or a suboxen subutex physician. If anyone has any more RELiAble information about this situation please enlightenment I haven't decided my choice yet either...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Pregnant and addicted to opiates NEW

Honestly at this point you should be more concerned with your baby and what he/she's going to have to go through. This is something you should be discussing with your Obstetrician immediately so they can get you set up with a clinic for the addiction issues and decide whether Sub or tapering off the narcotics is best for the baby. You may have to acquiesce to their recommendations to keep your baby as safe as possible. Your OB/GYN will need to be monitoring you and your baby carefully throughout this process also.

Kat

Old 05-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Tysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB User

hi there. im not really sure what your question is. it sounds as though you researched it and pretty much know the risks and benefits. all i can offer you is my experience. my best friend was put on subutex, a very low dose, and for only a one month taper. neither drug is better or worse for the baby. and withdrawal is not as hard on the baby as you think. i urge you to talk to your doc ASAP. they know more than any of us do. your child is your primary concern right now, i can tell by reading your post and that is a good thing. good luck to you and keep us updated with what route they decide is best for you and your unborn child. love and hugs.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msleahmichelle View Post
If anyone has any more RELiAble information about this situation please enlightenment I haven't decided my choice yet either...
Hello Msleahmichelle,

The baby should be of utmost concern in any decision that you make going forward.Please realize that any use of opiates is immediately transferred to the unborn fetus/child.
If you do not see it as a major priority,then I have an obligation to point it out to you.
I'd like to consider myself more than just a senior veteran;i'm an individual who truly cares about my fellow human beings;born and unborn.
It's time to seriously speak to an obstetrician now.
I would even go to the emergency room and withhold the setting up of an appointment down the road.

I don't want you to be blindsided,so I will tell you in advance that you will be met with a barrage of questions pertaining to your unborn child;such as why you waited so long to intervene on its' behalf.

Please do the responsible thing ASAHP(as soon as humanly possible) as you owe it to both yourself and your child to be.

With Utmost Respect
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 05-19-2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: elaboration

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
katlin09 (05-19-2012)
Closed Thread