It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User
Re: Physical addiction to pain meds

Hi Sandy, Im glad you were able to see your doctor and get the meds you need. I just wanted to chime in about people storing their narcotics in an OCD bottle. I used to do the same thing and my brothers girlfriend who is in medical school told me to never mix different medications in the same bottle. (Thanks to good old fibro fig I can't remember the reason she gave me) One thing I do now is have the pharmacist label an additional pill bottle (smaller than what my meds come in) so I can leave my big bottle at home.

The Following User Says Thank You to Prettyinpink81 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (06-12-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Only problem with this is pharmacist are not allowed to give out extra Schedule II narcotic bottles, you can however keep an old one from last month. It is never a good idea to keep meds in the wrong bottle, if you have these on your person and are stopped by the police for a routine reason and were searched, storing narcotics not in their original bottles can get you a "trafficking with intent to distribute" charge.

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (06-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #18
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User

I didn't know that about schedule 2 substances. Im on vicodin which is a schedule 3 so Ive been able to do that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Prettyinpink81 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (06-12-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Hmm they have given me an extra bottle with my CII prescription on it. So does that mean they were breaking some law, or could it vary by state? I've often asked for this when my prescription came in a large bottle and I wanted a smaller one to fit better in my purse (since I have quite a few CII meds that I need in original bottles). Otherwise I would just use the current bottle in my purse and the old one at home.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (06-12-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

It may vary by state, in TX, NC, VA they won't give out extra bottles.

kat

little shocked seeing you over here tortoisegirl...

Old 06-12-2012, 04:09 AM   #21
Inactive
(female)

Tysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB User

When I get really big bottles of meds from the VA, they always send a smaller bottle with it, labled and all. Considering some of their doctors are total arses, that's awfully considerate. I"m in Pa, but they did it in Ga too...And it was schedule II. Actually they did it for anything that was in a huge bottle!

Welcome tortisegirl!!!!!! haven't seen you over here yet, always nice to have fresh perspectives!

Last edited by Tysmom1; 06-12-2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: im forgetful

The Following User Says Thank You to Tysmom1 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #22
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

Thank you for that bit of information, I never thought about getting stopped and in trouble for trafficing or the such.... Wouldn't that be horrible. I get my scripts filled at Costco because they are the cheapest w/out insurance these past month I have really shopped around and they are 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the bigger chains. I will definitely call them to see about a smaller bottle. Thanks again. I can always count on this site and the knowledgeable people for some great information....

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 06-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #23
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I am glad you made it through to get your refills. I have been lucky in that my meds have never been stolen. We have always had a safe at home but in the summer I go our families summer cottage and would always worry. So my husband bought a gun safe where I can keep my meds in the top part and we are taking the floor safe to the cottage.

My meds are in boxes not bottles and it's almost impossible to carry them. I just carry a few in my purse but have worried about if I ever got pulled over. But they would need a reason to search my purse and I haven't got pulled over for anything in over 20 years. It's always scary. I get nervous about traveling too because when we drive I will be carrying 2 months worth of meds as my insurance allows for 1 early refill a year for vacations. I am now using a pharmacy that mails my meds so this year I will only have the one months meds but with staying in a hotel, you do worry.

It's sad we all have to do this. I remember many many years ago when I was on percocet and I forgot to take them with me to the cottage and my doc just called it in. I think he may have had to mail a script and it was only a weeks worth as I wasn't up there all summer that time, but it was no problem. Not today.

But I am glad it all worked out!

The Following User Says Thank You to Boxerluver For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (06-12-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
addiction, back pain failed discectomy, detox, pain, percocet tolerance