It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

LoveMy2Babies HB User
Unhappy I'm having alcohol withdrawal symptoms, but I still drink

I've been drinking almost every night for the past year. Lately I've decided to try to quit and the most I succeded was 4 days and then I go back to my usual. Another time I quit for 3 days.

At night, I've been having this twitches that don't let me fall asleep and I'm usually awake for 3 hours after going to bed. I've also been sweating a lot when I'm asleep.

I read that those two are alcohol withdrawal symptoms, but why is it happening if I still drink??? Was it because I stopped drinking for 4 days???

Can someone please help me or tell me if you have the same thing happen to you.

Thank you for any response.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB User
Re: I'm having alcohol withdrawal symptoms, but I still drink

Thats very interesting because im an opiate addict and would go through the same thing if i didn't use for a few days and then started to use again. I'd love to hear some answers on this one!

Hang in there Love my 2 babies!! There's tons of support and options for ways to go about quitting too, when ur ready.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Tysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB User

thanks for the advice katlin09, but it isn't sore muscles and bones. For me its like I lay in bed and just as I start to get comfortable it's like this shick goes through my entire body and causes it to tense up and twitch. It happens every time I am about to doze off. At first i was scared that I was about to have a seizure because it's from my head to my toes. It's hard to explain. really hard, but it is a scary feeling and its definately real. Back in the day when i abused tramadol, it was worse. Tamadol is a sard drug to kick to. I'd rather kick vicodin and percocet anyday!!

Did you find anything out from research yet about what may be causing this...l can almost feel it in my brain!! WEIRD

Old 06-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
(male)

bolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB User

Hi and welcome, I don,t have an answer for you but it kind of sounds like wd symptoms. I was wondering how much you been drinking at night and have you cut down on the drinking recently?

Old 06-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User

A quick ditto on what Bolter posted: How much do you (or were you) drinking before you took that 4 day break? The amount of alcohol one consumes is a crucial element in this equation, but obviously not the only factor-. Generally speaking, a 4-day cessation of booze, for an alcoholic, can upset your system greatly.

The Following User Says Thank You to TinoRock For This Useful Post:
LoveMy2Babies (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
(female)

candyheart HB User

what I believe is happening is that your body is needing MORE alcohol than your usual. Your body is not getting enough alcohol to satisfy its need--so you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms. This is the nightmare of addiction. As time goes by, your body will need more and more alcohol to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Eventually you will be drinking constantly, just to keep your body comfortable. Please start now to get help for yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to candyheart For This Useful Post:
LoveMy2Babies (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
(female)

LoveMy2Babies HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
I'm not sure how old you are, but those could be indicative of hormone issues as well. Night sweats are classic estrogen imbalance symptoms. Have you tried taking a really hot bath and soaking in it for a while before bed to relax and loosen your muscles. And when you get in bed only cover up with a light sheet. When you have night sweats if you use any kind of heavy blanket, that'll just make the sweats worse, use a light cotton sheet and it will help your body stay cool; a fan can help also.

Kat
Hi Katlin09, I'm 33 years old and truly, I think it has to do with the alcohol. I would love to take a bath every night to relax, but we don't have a bath tub only a shower :-( Whenever I sweat at night, it's not because I'm hot, I usually get cold from all that sweat. Thank you for your response.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
(female)

LoveMy2Babies HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolter View Post
Hi and welcome, I don,t have an answer for you but it kind of sounds like wd symptoms. I was wondering how much you been drinking at night and have you cut down on the drinking recently?
Hi Bolter, I've been drinking a bottle of wine every night for the past year and sometimes quit for a few day. Lately I've been cutting down by drinking every other night. I just hope this doesn't cause any other reactions or side effects. Thank you.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
(female)

LoveMy2Babies HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinoRock View Post
A quick ditto on what Bolter posted: How much do you (or were you) drinking before you took that 4 day break? The amount of alcohol one consumes is a crucial element in this equation, but obviously not the only factor-. Generally speaking, a 4-day cessation of booze, for an alcoholic, can upset your system greatly.
TinoRock, I had been drinking for about 3 months every night before I took the 4 day break. Like I replied to Bolter, I drink a bottle of wine every night, but now I'm cutting back to drinking every other day.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
(female)

LoveMy2Babies HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyheart View Post
what I believe is happening is that your body is needing MORE alcohol than your usual. Your body is not getting enough alcohol to satisfy its need--so you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms. This is the nightmare of addiction. As time goes by, your body will need more and more alcohol to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Eventually you will be drinking constantly, just to keep your body comfortable. Please start now to get help for yourself.
Hi Candyheart, I already called a few places to help me with my problem. I know exactly what you mean. When I started drinking, I would get drunk with half a bottle of wine, but now I drink the whole bottle. I know that my body is needing more and more every day, that's why I've decided to get some help. I've tried to do it by myself, but it's just not working. Thank you for your advice.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User

Dear Friend,
It sounds like you have made a very sensible cut-back in your drinking, and by basically cutting the amount in half, you're saving yourself from bigger problems in the future: If you quit, then your withdrawal will be decreased, if you continue in your habit, at least you are ingesting less. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to TinoRock For This Useful Post:
LoveMy2Babies (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
(female)

LoveMy2Babies HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinoRock View Post
Dear Friend,
It sounds like you have made a very sensible cut-back in your drinking, and by basically cutting the amount in half, you're saving yourself from bigger problems in the future: If you quit, then your withdrawal will be decreased, if you continue in your habit, at least you are ingesting less. Good luck!
Thanks for your words. It's worth a try, right???

Old 06-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Dear Friend, The business of quitting alcohol is such a tricky business, obvously most difficult for an untold number of people, and I had many failed attempts (very many) before I ever managed to stay straight. When I sent my last post, congratulating you on cutting your habit in half, I meant every word of it. But it made me think again, when I read your reply, that I used to find it so very difficult to just cut down in the past, and stick with it for long. The alcoholic crave would inevitably come back, and well, let's just say that I used to drink like a fish and make myself very sick. Most alcoholics can't control their intake for very long, which is one reason why total abstinance is often recommended. Still, cutting back is a positive step, no matter what. I wish you all the best in conquering this wicked addiction!

Closed Thread

Tags
addictions, alcohol, withdrawal