It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
(female)

katie j j p HB User
Question norco problem and with drawlsjus

I am 30 years old with uterus problems getting a hysterectomy. In a Month I have been on vicodin 5 for 4 or five months everyday my tolerance is very high for the last two or three months I take anywhere to 8 to 10 a day just to dull the pain. I run out early. I don't crave them or want to be on them but when. I am out I get diarrhea and cramps and always tired and can't sleep I get hot and cold and very Moody I am waiting for this surgery to get done so I don't hurt anymore and take them I want to tell the doctor what is going on but I am scared of him cutting me off and I can't deal with this pain but I don't want to be addicted. Will someone please help what should I do and what will my doctor do if I tell him

Old 06-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
(male)

bolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB User
Re: norco problem and with drawlsjus

Hi, Those are withdrawall symptoms your describing. I think you should tell dr. that the pain meds aren,t working and your very concerned because your running out before you should be. I wouldn,t think he,d just cut you off. He would probably see that your body has come addicted to the pills and either start you on a taper or switch you to a different med. I,m not a doctor and what I,m writing is just an opinion. Maybe another member that knows more than me could weigh in on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie j j p View Post
I have been on vicodin 5 for 4 or five months everyday my tolerance is very high for the last two or three months I take anywhere to 8 to 10 a day just to dull the pain. I run out early. I don't crave them or want to be on them but when. I am out I get diarrhea and cramps and always tired and can't sleep I get hot and cold and very Moody I am waiting for this surgery to get done so I don't hurt anymore and take them I want to tell the doctor what is going on but I am scared of him cutting me off and I can't deal with this pain but I don't want to be addicted. Will someone please help what should I do and what will my doctor do if I tell him
Hello katie j j p

Please realize that your body has become addicted to the vicodin. It's not your fault;it's just the nature of painkillers in general.Take them long enough and the body will build up a certain tolerance towards the medication.
I would explain to the prescribing physician that you've been taking more tablets than originally prescribed because they've become less effective at the prescribed dosage.

There are plenty of pain meds out there and some which are deemed non-habit forming.Discussing this with your physician will hopefully be an indicator that you want these meds for legitimate reasons.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 06-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hi,

There are 2 very important reasons you need to talk to your Dr. about this.

1. As the other posters have said, you are having withdrawals when you run out of your meds too soon. There are other meds your Dr. can give you so that your not having to eat Vic's all day.

2. The other more pressing concern is that if you do not talk to your Dr. about this, after your surgery they are not going to be able to control your pain, and as one who has been a Chronic Pain patient for 26 years, on narcotics daily for 15 years and has had 30 plus surgeries in the last 15 years, you DO NOT want to be in a Situation where your pain is not controlled post op, that is pure hell. Your Dr. needs to be aware of the amount of pain meds you require and your high tolerance issues so that they can plan your post op pain control accordingly. One of my many surgeries was a hysterectomy, and you really, really want to have adequate pain control afterwards.

Take care,

Kat

Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
(female)

katie j j p HB User

Thank u every one for the support I talked to my doctor he is gonna taper me off after my surgery which is on the 27

Closed Thread