It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User
Failed the home detox miserably...

..... trying to quit beer. Quit 24 years ago, relapsed 1 time, got sick as crap for 2 days, then not a drop for 20 years. This is different. There's another booger in the mix. I take vicodin for my feet, hip and back pain during the day so I can work. By afternoon, late, I get "the shakes" from the vics wearing off. This is where the beer helped, it quelled the fast WD symptoms that come after just hours after the last pill wears off. I failed this time. I did not want to get where I was taking 15 or more pills a day, so I let beer "help". They helped me dig a hole for myself that I can't get out of alone. I guess I talk to the doc next week about the next step, the hospital. She said she'd let me try on my own first. Failed the test. It was such a moral letdown. I appreciate you guys, just can't handle the stopping of both these life-takers. JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Failed the home detox miserably....

JB,

You didn't fail, you tried one way and it didn't work. You knew this was a possibility going in. It wasn't a failure on your part, you just have to do it a different way. The major big thing here is that you're still willing to do it the other way, you're not just throwing your hands up and Quitting...JB, That's HUGE!!!!

You didn't Fail and You are not a Failure, you just have to go about things a different way. Try not to put to much emphasis on the HOW and keep your emphasis on the "I'M GOING TO QUIT, NO MATTER WHAT!"

Hang in their bud, we're with you on this.

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
(female)

Tulip21 HB UserTulip21 HB User

Are you planning on quitting just the beer? If you go to detox for the alcohol, will you be allowed to continue the vicodin there? I think it's great you plan to keep trying to get off the alcohol no matter what it takes. I know how difficult that is!

Old 06-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Tysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB User

Hi JB! I'm not going to bombard you with a million questions. I truly think you are a great man andso determined for doing it the way you are. As you know, I take suboxone for my opiate addiction. Not everyone agrees with this, but that is their issue, not mine. I tried EVERY possible way that I knew to try, to quit using painkillers on my own. I totally understand how you might think that you are a failure for not succeeding THIS way.

If I had given up the first time I didn't succeed at trying to quit opiates, I'd probably be dead. Trust me when I say, the fact that you are going to try another method, speaks volumes for your character! you are not going to let this beat you and I so applaud you for that! You have got my undying support and I totally understand how you feel! Please hang in there and keep your head held high! After all, you didn't give up, and that would have been so much easier! Love and hugs to you!

Old 06-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbeanstalk View Post
..... so I let beer "help". They helped me dig a hole for myself that I can't get out of alone. I guess I talk to the doc next week about the next step, the hospital. She said she'd let me try on my own first. Failed the test. It was such a moral letdown. I appreciate you guys, just can't handle the stopping of both these life-takers. JB
JB,

You didn't fail anything miserably.You tried something that you hoped would help but didn't.It happens to the best of us at times.

I can see where you hoped that beer would be the answer;it just didn't turn out that way.

The true testament of a human being is not in his ability to fall many times but in his ability to get up again..........and again............and again if it takes.

Perseverance my man;perseverance.

You didn't give up on yourself and are willing to ask for professional assistance to get to the next step.......it's warranted and remains the responsible move.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 06-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

Thank Ya'll very much for the words of hope, I just don't know how a person with the ailments I have and the pain caused by them, can NOT get by on no meds or nothing. Everyone has there own pain thresh-hold and when it hurts you to a point that's intolerable, how do you "quit" medication? A diabetic may wish to stop insulin, a Hypertension patient may want to stop taking their meds, but what happens to them? They DIE. I am not afraid of getting help with my "poor-boy-self-medication", I know this is all I could come up with, I ain't no doctor, I guess what scares me is the Dr.'s will say "Addict, Junkie, no habit-forming drugs", and I'll get to hurting more than I can stand. I have not gone into any detail about the issues I have, physically, but they are getting worse. I don't know, I'm just feeling like being caught between a rock and a hard place, but I'll see what happens and I appreciate ya'll, JB

Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbeanstalk View Post
Thank Ya'll very much for the words of hope, I just don't know how a person with the ailments I have and the pain caused by them, can NOT get by on no meds or nothing.
JB,

You're missing the point.....

There are meds like tramadol,which may be a perfect fit for you.
It's not a schedule II drug,thus not deemed to be habit-forming...although some meet with mixed reviews.

Respectfully
Phoenix
Don't be so quick to look at only the grand scheme,without viewing the minute details.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

JB,

Your physical issues may have gotten to the point where Pain Management is warranted and what you need. We've talked about that, and there is nothing wrong with that option if that is where you are. There is a big difference between abusing narcotic meds and alcohol addiction than Pain Management. Your Dr.'s can help you kick the alcohol abuse and get on the proper medications that will control your pain with the proper dosing schedule so that you're not having to eat 15 vicodin a day. There are long acting pain medications out there that work on twice a day dosing schedules....there is a solution, a viable solution to your problem and whether society says it's the right solution, who cares??? Is society living with the pain you're in each day? No. You have to live your life, whatever the best, safest way is for you to do that.

I promise you, there is a safe solution to your problem. If you're willing to work toward that goal with your Dr.'s, you can get there.....and I truly believe that you are.

I live in severe, life altering pain every hour of every day of my life. My pain is never lower than a 4, usually a 5 by choice. That is what I've decided I can live with. I work, as an Accountant, I live alone and take care of myself, I can drive, cook, clean, work in the yard, all the things "normies" do with certain limitations. Yes, I do have to take Pain Meds, if I want to be alive, that's a given...I don't spend my days stoned or sleepy or whacked out on narcotics. I've not gotten a buzz or a euphoric feeling from a narcotic in 10 years at least. The pain meds are a part of my daily life, there is no option for them not to be, if I want to live my life. I've had 30 surgeries in the last 22 years and am slated to have many more, if I so choose....I don't really care what people say about my "drug" use. I don't abuse the drugs, I keep my use to a bare minimum, I get no more of a kick from taking the meds I do than you get from taking advil, and I refuse to feel bad because society says I'm supposed to. Society can kiss my lily white butt!

You have to do what you have to do JB, this isn't the life we choose, and we do everything in our power to avoid getting to this point....but you can live a life with Pain Management and not be a drug addict abusing pills at the same time.

Take care,

Kat

Old 06-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
JB,

You're missing the point.....

There are meds like tramadol,which may be a perfect fit for you.
It's not a schedule II drug,thus not deemed to be habit-forming...although some meet with mixed reviews.
I'm sorry my friend, you went there, so I have to go here...

Tramadol (Ultram) has proven to be one of the most addictive drug in recent pain control history. It was slated as the new "wonder" drug since it wasn't a narcotic. In fact it is more addictive than most narcotic pain meds and the withdrawal process is harder than most narcotic pain meds. Part of what makes it particularly nasty is that Tramadol has an anti-depressant quality built in so the psychological addictive side is particularly harsh.

Tramadol is also very easy to Overdose on and during it's first 6 months on the market Dr.'s were actually prescribing doses to patients that were over the daily safety limit amount which is now none to be 350 - 400mgs per day. In the beginning we were getting dosed up to 600mgs a day which was in OD range and got some of us addicted to the drug, caused us to overdose on the drug and get the lovely Grand Mal Seizure side effect of the drug. If you happened to be taking additional psych meds at the same time as Tramadol you ran the risk of Serotonin Storm or Serotonin Syndrome because Dr.'s knew so little about the actual dangers of Ultram that they didn't realize the anti-depressant qualities of Tramadol mirrored Serotonin.

I was one of those lucky early users of Tramadol. It's the first drug I was ever addicted too, the hardest one I've ever detoxed off of. One of many that I've overdosed on. And the one that left me with a lifetime Seizure Disorder. If you've ever been in the Hospital overdosing on a med and in the middle of Serotonin Storm at the same time...it's not particularly all that fun. When your Dr.'s that prescribed you that med don't have a freaking clue what's going on because they know squat about the med they put you on, it's even less fun. So, yeah, I wouldn't wish my worst enemy take Tramadol....

Kat

Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
I'm sorry my friend, you went there, so I have to go here...

Tramadol (Ultram) has proven to be one of the most addictive drug in recent pain control history. So, yeah, I wouldn't wish my worst enemy take Tramadol....

Kat
Kat,my friend,

I am currently taking Tramadol ER 300 mg daily,along with(in addition to) other schedule II drugs which seem to be of some benefit to me.

If you see my posts as of recent,I usually keep the focus on myself.

As I stated,the details......I stated "like' tramadol and did not portray it as the "end all be all" sensation of the millenium;just naming one drug.

I also stated "mixed reviews" as a means of pointing out the controversial aspect of this drug.

JB,

The spoken word can be subject to interpretation at times.The lengths I go to for a fellow member in need can be over the top but you have to admit the intent shines through.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 06-12-2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: clarification

Old 06-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Kat,my friend,

I am currently taking Tramadol ER 300 mg daily,along with other schedule II drugs which seem to be of some benefit to me.

Respectfully
Phoenix
I will continue to pray for your safety my friend, as I do daily anyway...

Kat

Old 06-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
(male)

Kat and Phoenix, you guys are like Guarding Angels, you're both so driven to help others that you get emotional, even to one another. That's why I post here, because I can FEEL the ernst, the wish of hope, the LOVE you both project, along with some others. That is very rare and very needed, these days. I would love to meet the both of you and give both of ya' abigol Southern Hug and Kiss! I will speak to my doc about the pain mgmnt., just don't know if they have any such thing around these parts for us poor folks. I'll find out soon enough, I reckon. When I had Insurance (12 years ago) , I went to Pain Mgmnt., then to a private Dr. (the folks at the Pain Clinic look at every one as a druggie, put "caps" on Narcotic dosing, you know the deal), I would rather take another longer-acting pain med than give up my work and quality of life, and thats-that! I value helping others, I am a Fitness and Wellness Trainer, T'ai Chi and Martial Arts Black Belt, Trainer of Special Populations, and a few others. There is no greater feeling than knowing God used you as His instrument to make another person's life better. JB

Last edited by Jackbeanstalk; 06-10-2012 at 10:25 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jackbeanstalk For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (06-11-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

JB,

Your sweet! I'm just a Southern Girl myself, Texas raised and now in North Caronlina.

There's no reason at all why you can't get established on a long acting pain med and continue to do your activities and work, much medical research has shown that the more "normal" of a life a Pain Patient can continue to live the easier it is to control their pain and keep the depression and anxiety at bay.

JB if you need any info. on what the current LA meds in use are, just give a yell. Some PCP's and M.D.'s if they've taken the additional Certification required by the FDA, can RX Schedule II meds for longterm pain patients. If your Dr. is in that category she could do it for you if there's not a Pain Management Clinic in your vicinity.

Hang in there bud,

Kat

Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #14
(male)

bolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB User

Hi JB, Just got done reading your post and replies. Did the same thing for oxy wds when I,d run out. For me it was rum, also beer. What I noticed after awhile is it just gradually didn,t work. Then I,d be sick from booze and drugs. If I had a dollar for every time I tried quitting on my own, well you get the idea. If you gotta do it thru a detox-hospital so be it. I went on suboxone for 3 months and have been off them 5 days. I do want to wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:36 AM   #15
(male)

bolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB Userbolter HB User

Hey JB, I wanted to add something. I need a total knee replacement which I plan to get this winter, Hit by car when early teens. Talked to 3 dif. surgeons and they said about the same thing, its probably time. You know, quality of life, that sort of thing. I started taking tabs for pain and eventually they didn,t work, went to the roxys, more and more, they didn,t work. When I did get on the subs after about a week, the pain was gone. I moved down to Tenn. around 25 yrs ago from New England to work. With these relativly mild winters I work 12 months per yr. Build and renovate athletic flds. I noticed when I,d start to go into even slight wds pain would intensfy. I read somewhere that people who have legitamate pain issues and are abusing the pills that it can increase the pain in wds. This was true for me. Even thruout tapering on subs down to 1mg the pain wasn,t nearly as intense. Ya end of day I hurt but not as bad as when I was taking 12-15 roxy30 a day. I couldn,t walk length of football fld. Now I can. Who knows? Just a thought.

The following user gives a hug of support to bolter:
Phoenix (06-11-2012)
Closed Thread