It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
(female)

EDSGRL HB User
Wink Pregnancy and Opiates

I am in the same situation. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, a painful connective tissue disorder and was taking 3 norcos 10/325 a day when I became pregnant. My Pain management doctor quickly switched me to Oxycodone 5mg which is a class B medicine. Since I have been pregnant I went through withdrawals twice. Oh yeah, I am pregnant with twins too. When I went from norco to oxy, I went through withdrawal symptoms. It was not fun.

Anyway, my OB knows I take the medicine and talked to my pain management doctor. He told my doctor he should not have let me go through withdrawals while pregnant while my pm doc thought he was doing the right thing but was actually putting my babies in danger. So long story short, I am 14 weeks pregnant and my OB wants to wait and try to wean me off closer to birth IF I CAN. If I am too uncomfortable he doesn't want me going through it. My problem is the withdrawal gets bad. I don;t want my babies to be born addicted to OXY but at the same time, detox is very dangerous in pregnancy. I also considered suboxone, but given my pain issues that prevent me from getting any pain relief and that would be bad. I know I am having a c-section too so I will need drugs. I know many people who gave birth on subutex and their kids are great. I don't think either one is better unless you are constantly going from high to low on opiates then sub would be better b/c it keep an even amount in your system which is better for the baby. Hope this helps. You can pm me too if you ever want to talk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Pregnant and addicted to opiates NEW

Your pain doc most likely switched you from Norco (vicodin) to Oxycodone because pure Oxycodone does not have the tylenol in it, which is one danger aspect he could immediately control. He probably didn't consider withdrawals because he actually moved you to a stronger narcotic and generally people don't have withdrawals when moving to a stronger drug. Norco is a schedule III drug, Oxycodone is a Schedule II drug. You don't say how much Oxy he put you on. Oxy is the narcotic ingredient in Percocet. The two narcotics aren't all that different one is just stronger than the other.

Kat

Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

EDSGRL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Your pain doc most likely switched you from Norco (vicodin) to Oxycodone because pure Oxycodone does not have the tylenol in it, which is one danger aspect he could immediately control. He probably didn't consider withdrawals because he actually moved you to a stronger narcotic and generally people don't have withdrawals when moving to a stronger drug. Norco is a schedule III drug, Oxycodone is a Schedule II drug. You don't say how much Oxy he put you on. Oxy is the narcotic ingredient in Percocet. The two narcotics aren't all that different one is just stronger than the other.

Kat
Thanks for the reply. He switched me from Norco 10/325 to Oxycodone 5 mg which is why I had the withdrawal. Oxy is a stronger drug but not at the dose he is giving me which is why i went into withdrawls

Old 06-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

It would still depend on how much Oxy he gave you overall. 5mg of Oxy is adequate coverage for 10mgs of Hydro.

kat

Old 06-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
(female)

EDSGRL HB User

Everywhere I read said that 5mg of oxy is equivalent to 7.5 of hydro. And i was taking 3 pills a day at the time. So that is a reduction in about 7.5mg. Some people are more sensitive than others but he even agreed I had withdrawal symptoms from that.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

are you still having wd's or has he fixed that problem?

Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
(female)

EDSGRL HB User

I am no longer in withdrawals but still taking the medicine. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Thats good. I hope everything goes well with your delivery, for you and your bebe!

Kat

Closed Thread