It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

lynnlee HB Userlynnlee HB User
Switching addictions

I was first an alcoholic for years, only did drugs a few times. Then I got to the point that i did drugs and not drink. Now I quit drinking and drugs but but over-eat and smoke ciggs till im sick! Im getting somewhere but I just dont feel like it because I just move my addictions around to something else....its so frustrating and wondered if anyone has any ideas for me to stop the whole crazy thing. Im a serious member of AA but I havent seen alot about this part of addiction and what to do about it---Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to lynnlee:
Phoenix (06-12-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Switching addictions

Your the only one that can stop yourself from picking up new addictions when you quit old ones. There are support groups for your new addictions. Overeaters Anonymous is a very real group.

What you might try is finding an activity that is productive when you give up these most recent addictions. Do something that benefits others in your community and keeps you busy so you don't have a lot of free time to miss your old addictions and time to find a new one.

Do you enjoy cooking? If there's a Ronald McDonald House in your area they are always looking for Volunteers to pitch in and cook house meals during the week. Do you like animals? Animal shelters always need volunteers. Hospital nurseries usually need baby rockers, etc.

You seem to be the kind of person that needs to be busy and have something to do, something to occupy your hands with. Volunteering is great because not only are you helping yourself, but your helping others in your community.

Take care,

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
(female)

lynnlee HB Userlynnlee HB User

Yeah, I love the response very much but I do volunteer...going on 5 days a week. The place I go to always needs help, not an issue. I stay pretty busy for mental health reasons. I still seem to get stuck on things tho and have used The Steps on them but some of it doesnt fit my problems. Oh well, im still way better than i used to be.
I only have AA in my area and I do not have a liscense to go any further than my town. Thats why I was asking for other ideas i could actually do. If you think of anything else, please let me know....Thanks

Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Have you looked for Online support groups? I know that some NA and AA chapters have online support groups, so other groups like Overeaters might have online groups. As for the cig smoking, I just read an article tonight about the electronic cigarettes, they seem to help people who can't get past the having the "cig in their hand" part. Have you tried those? Of course the non-nicotine ones would work the best for quitting your cigarette addiction.

I'll put my head to it and see what else I can think of for ya. There's a solution out there, just have to get creative.

Take care,

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
lynnlee (06-14-2012)
Closed Thread